“Excellent experience”
Review of la vecchia taverna

la vecchia taverna
Ranked #34 of 243 Restaurants in Monopoli
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Typical puglia style kitchen,home run restaurant,seafood,meat,fishsoup,home made desserts,from summertime sea view terrace for dinner.
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Recently I enjoyed a delicious meal in this restaurant; the food alone would have impressed me, but what really prompted me to write this review was the fact that when I looked for the salmon dish that had caught my eye on the menu, Vito the proprietor (and also very pleasant waiter) ran to a local market to pick up some salmon when he discovered the kitchen was out. His wife Antoinetta, the chef, then transformed it into a thing of simple beauty with the addition of lemon and pasta - one of the tastiest meals I enjoyed in Italy, and that's saying something. The price was right too, well within budget. A visit to this lovely premises is highly recommended.

1  Thank RoisinMwriter
There are newer reviews for la vecchia taverna

Reviewed March 24, 2014

I have recently just come back from a short trip to Monopoli and came across the good reviews for La Vecchia Taverna so I thought it might be worth a visit. Me and my partner visited on a Friday evening and as it was out of season there was just one other couple dining, but this was not a problem. The food was very fresh and the seafood was particularly tasty. The owner, Vito was very friendly and made us feel welcomed. He also spoke very good English. At the end of our meal, Vito generously offered us some home-made limoncello which was made by his wife. Go here if you are looking for something near to the sea which is reasonably priced and friendly.

picciottomonopoli, Proprietario at la vecchia taverna, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

Thanks so much Lady,we try to do the best we can,that will help us a little bit more,tell about us to your friends and family.We will wait for you again,see you soon,hallo from me and chef Antonietta.Ciao Vito Brescia the owner La Vecchia Taverna Monopoli.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

We stopped here for lunch and were very pleased with our choices of an eggplant, mozzarella and shrimp appetizer and linguine with fruits of the sea pasta. Both were excellent choices and the homemade pana cotta was perfect. It was a totally enjoyable experience and perfect for lunch. On our two week trip through southern Italy, I would rank the meal in the top three of the places where we dined.

1  Thank Veronica V
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Taverna Al Vecchia came recommended by our apartment’s letting agent (Hello Apulia) for the freshest seafood at modest prices. We couldn't agree that it was the best available in town, but had a pleasant evening and the food was good but not exceptional. The owner also turned out to be a bit of a character who had an interest in the football during our dinner which took place on a quiet Saturday night in October. The only other diners were tourists like us. (Yes, we did arrive after 9pm.)
We had the simple fried zucchini dish ; an eggplant, mozzarella and shrimps dish , although the shrimps seemed to be hiding; and perfectly grilled fish. They know how to cook fish in this town -- you can see lots of it is brought in every day off the boats down at the port. The tiramisu for dessert was given 7 out of 10 . The Leone de Castris Salice Salento Reserva was a reliable accompanying wine. . The bill was €80 .

1  Thank Thierry1559
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We ate here on a Monday night when many other restaurants were closed. We had no problem getting a seat. The restaurant has free wifi which as a traveller is always a bonus. The food is not high cuisine but it is good and tasty. We chose the set menu at 25 Euros which included a starter, first course, second course, side dish and dessert. Included was a bottle of water, a litre of wine, a limoncello and a coffee. I honestly don't think you can find a better deal when it comes to eating seafood and fish than this.
I would highly recommend going to this place. The owner of the restaurant was very accomodating and friendly. It comes across as a family run restaurant.

2  Thank thecheechman