“Disappointing”
Review of Strand Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dugort
Strand Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Dugort B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Hotel is in a beautiful location. No bar or restaurant food available, even though it was advertised. No hot water in our room, had to go to another room to use a shower. Hotel was very cold. Staff were not very friendly.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank KatieJoeire

Reviewed November 3, 2012

In our holiday planning for Ireland, we looked for a few nights somewhere "windswept & interesting" on the ocean. This looked to be that place. Wrong. We were the only guests, and had one of the better rooms, but it was small, dingy & dated with only a tiny window to view what could have been an impressive view. It also turned out that the day we arrived the restaurant & bar were closed. Thank God for Helen, the owners friend, who made us very welcome, pulled pints & cooked some bar food for us.(she has her own lovely B&B - Ranevogue, Crossakiel, Kells ). And then there were the Midges (sandflies). Swarms of them, all over the island. We left after one night. Lots of potential unrealised.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank feendene
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We stayed in the Strand Hotel in Achill last weekend and we all thoroughly enjoyed our visit to this hotel. The staff and food were all excellent and we look forward to returning again soon for another visit.
MC

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 28, 2012 via mobile

While staying in Dugort, my in-laws decided to come up and visit. Having just surveyed the hotel from the outside there was a sharp intake of breath by me when I heard they were staying here. When we came in to meet them I was pleasantly surprised. The staff are friendly and I soon became very relaxed. The pub was clean and the food was good and simple and everyone joined the 'clean plate club'.

The only downside my in-laws reported was that their room was on the small side. The location at the bottom of Slieve Mór to the back and strand to the front makes this a beautiful location. There was a change of ownership in March of 2012 and at the time of writing I will say that it could do with a little work but if you're familiar with Irish, country hotels and pubs you'll know that it's the people rather than the decor that make a great place. Expect 3* standards and a place to lay your head and you won't be disappointed, my initial opinion was wrong.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank howardmjhughes
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I Stayed in The Strand Hotel in Achill. It is overlooking a lovely beach. I was there for three nights. It is very cosy and the bar overlooks the beach, lovely food, lemon sole and chips. The staff were friendly and welcoming. It seems to be have taken under new management lately, The rooms are a bit dated, It is only €35 per night which includes breakfast. This is very good value. It has WiFi which is a bonus. I would stay again and recommend it.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter Bar has amazing views IT IS ON THE BEACH
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank RanevogueBandB
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We took a chance after reading so many mixed reviews on tripadvisor. Bad decision! It really is as bad as the reviews say. I cannot comment on the food as we made a (wise) decision not to eat there but the servise was poor, decor shabby, a terrible nights sleep in a draughty unclean room and the general feeling of run down, sub standard accomodation made us leave before our first mornings breakfast. Location is, however, superb. An experience never to be repeated.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank lindiloo20
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Honestly, wouldnt recommend this place to anyone. great location would be the only positive comment I could write. my experience of cigarette smoke coming under my door, noise from the bar, radiator broken & replaced with a faulty electric one, ice cold unventilated bathroom wit no hot water in sink, damp bed sheets, musty carpet & dated decor.....topped of by arriving downstairs for breakfast with my partner and newborn baby to find that last nights party still hadn't been cleared away and breakfast was nowhere near being set up. I refused to pay and we left. Owners struggled to look us in the eye on leaving and there was barely an utterance of an apology. We didnt expect the Ritz and had read all the positive comments on tripadvisor so decided to give it a chance anyway....but seriously, basic standards werent even met. This experience has put me off booking any hotel unless I have seen it first or have been strongly recommended it by close friends.

Look elsewhere untill the Strand get their finger out & sort out their basics at least!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank WanderlustCMC1979
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dugort
Pure Magic Achill
#2 of 7 in Achill Island
Achill Water's Edge
Achill Water's Edge
#7 of 27 in Achill Island
Achill Sound Hotel (Ostan Gob a'Choire)

Been to Strand Hotel? Share your experiences!