“After reading other reviews”
Review of Strand Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dugort
Strand Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Dugort B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I Stayed in The Strand Hotel in Achill. It is overlooking a lovely beach. I was there for three nights. It is very cosy and the bar overlooks the beach, lovely food, lemon sole and chips. The staff were friendly and welcoming. It seems to be have taken under new management lately, The rooms are a bit dated, It is only €35 per night which includes breakfast. This is very good value. It has WiFi which is a bonus. I would stay again and recommend it.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter Bar has amazing views IT IS ON THE BEACH
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank RanevogueBandB
There are newer reviews for Strand Hotel

Reviewed August 25, 2012

We took a chance after reading so many mixed reviews on tripadvisor. Bad decision! It really is as bad as the reviews say. I cannot comment on the food as we made a (wise) decision not to eat there but the servise was poor, decor shabby, a terrible nights sleep in a draughty unclean room and the general feeling of run down, sub standard accomodation made us leave before our first mornings breakfast. Location is, however, superb. An experience never to be repeated.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank lindiloo20
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Honestly, wouldnt recommend this place to anyone. great location would be the only positive comment I could write. my experience of cigarette smoke coming under my door, noise from the bar, radiator broken & replaced with a faulty electric one, ice cold unventilated bathroom wit no hot water in sink, damp bed sheets, musty carpet & dated decor.....topped of by arriving downstairs for breakfast with my partner and newborn baby to find that last nights party still hadn't been cleared away and breakfast was nowhere near being set up. I refused to pay and we left. Owners struggled to look us in the eye on leaving and there was barely an utterance of an apology. We didnt expect the Ritz and had read all the positive comments on tripadvisor so decided to give it a chance anyway....but seriously, basic standards werent even met. This experience has put me off booking any hotel unless I have seen it first or have been strongly recommended it by close friends.

Look elsewhere untill the Strand get their finger out & sort out their basics at least!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank WanderlustCMC1979
Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in the strand last week. Booked for Wed to Fri but ended up staying until Sunday. Prior to arriving, we were a bit unsure what lay ahead ( Due to the mixed reviews on tripadvisor) but I think this added to our appreciation of The Strand.

It's a small rural hotel, where Jim and his staff make a real effort for their customers. Anna is a real asset to this business, always multi-tasking with a smile on her face.This place isn't a five star hotel but it is homely, clean and friendly and you can see that they are making investments into upgrading their establishment.

The breakfast is really tasty and we also had dinner in the bar on a couple of evenings. I see some people have been negative about the service of food but if you just relax enjoy a coffee or a drink and enjoy a more relaxed pace, you'll enjoy The Strand even more. As I've said before this isn't a five star hotel but if you enjoy good honest food, cooked well,you wont be disappointed.

Give the Strand a go, great value, great service, great location. Expect a small rural hotel with good food and clean rooms (don't go there expecting the Ritz) and you'll have a nice break, in a really nice hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 9, 2012

This is a terrible hotel. I don't know how it could be called a hotel. Took ages for someone to come to reception. The owner of the building came thundering down the stairs with a pair of sheets in his hand and told me how great the place was and how wonderful the fish is. He grabbed a key and showed me the room. There was another woman following him around and he went on to say that she was just taking over the lease of the place. She never opened her mouth, but in fairness he never gave her a chance which I thought was extremely rude of him. After all she had the lease. It was her business. I had to take the room as it was getting late after a long day travelling. There was no shower in the bathroom, just a bath.

The window in the room would not close and there was a note stuck to the curtain saying not to try and close it. Their "exceptional" fish was one of the worst meal I ever had. A chipper on the side of the road would have been much better. It was swimming in grease and still had every single bone in it. The huge blue bottle flies in the restaurant window along with other "crawlers" did not do much for the appetite. At this stage, I would have left the hotel and moved on but all the bags had been brought in at this stage.

The bar man looked like the most disinterested person in their work and it was very difficult to make conversation. However the manager took over when he left. He made sure he was not going to forget his jacket, he had it on 15 minutes before the end of his shift. When the manager took over the pub seemed to come to life and there seemed to be a much better atmosphere.

The service the next morning at breakfast was terrible. I waited at least 15 minutes before the manager came to the table. There were only 5 other people in the breakfast room, so no excuse for the wait. The people at the next table were also commenting on the wait. The breakfast when it came was not bad at all.

The "hotel" had no credit card facility, cash only. The worst part of the trip was the fact that it cost €35. I've stayed in much better places for less. Cannot understand this price. I would not stay here again. Although it had an unbelievable location, right on the beach.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank hgst
Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

This is one of the worst places I've ever stayed in. The reception area and hall way had a strong smell of old frying oil. Our room was dark and dusty. One of our towels had already been used. We wanted to go elsewhere but being a bank holiday, every other place on the island was full. The walls are paper thin and you can hear absolutely everything not only in the room next door but in the next three rooms, and this is very unfortunate when you have a domestic fight in the room next door from 2 to 6 am (although that the management could not control). One person basically runs the show and it has to be said she did her best and was friendly but that doesn't compensate for the overall disaster of the place.

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank thethirdwoman
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Great location right beside Durgort Beach where you can have fantastic food at very reasonable prices,ideal for families and single travellers.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dugort
Achill Sound Hotel (Ostan Gob a'Choire)
Pure Magic Achill
Achill Cliff House Hotel
Achill Water's Edge
Achill Water's Edge
#6 of 27 in Achill Island

Been to Strand Hotel? Share your experiences!