“Oasis on achill.”

and 1 more site!
The Valley House Hostel & Bar
Reviewed August 6, 2011

From Sarah varian Barry and Gerry barryThe bus from Westport dropped us off at the crossroads at 8 o clock on a wet evening. We were loaded down with bags of food as it's five miles to the shop. As we struggled up the drive the house became visible in a copse of mature trees. And we entered the magic place Large victorian house. Quaint bar on site with turf fire and a big welcome for musicians. Pat and Alice Gallagher the owners are musicians themselves. Really nice staff. Breakfast provided but I never got up in time. Tidy well equipped kitchen. Dugourt beach fifteen minutes walk. Wild and wonderful and empty. When you come back to the hostel in the evening you feel like you are coming home. Walk to the top of the lane to watch the sunset over the lake and the ocean beyond. Small marquee in courtyard There was a folk and bluegrass lweekend during our stay. Madenew friends. Definitely returning to this special hostel. Sarah varian Barry From cork and Gerry barry from Kerry.

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank Sarahvarianbarry
There are newer reviews for The Valley House Hostel & Bar

Reviewed July 24, 2011

Hi there, if you want to have loosy goosy holiday, where you can meet amazing people and listen to great music and that in a breath taking landscape you have to visit The Valley House. The house itself is magic and full of history, the beds are clean, the rooms are spacious. We went there with friends who got two little kids like us (ours are 9 and 12) and they were sad to leave. We stayed for 6 days. Our 12 year old boy went surfing every day in Keel, Gerry is the guy's name and he has a big double decker bus on the beach, with a coffee dock upstairs. Deadly. The workers in the hostel were really nice, the kids had a ball. A bonus is that there is a bar in the place and I swear never did a Guinness taste that good! There are a lot of little flies around, but a bottle of insect repellent solves that problem,... and Pat's big turf fire....

Enjoy!!!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank juliopato
Reviewed July 16, 2010

To be honest i can't really rate the rooms as i was camping, but in general the place could do with a bit of a revamp. The showers were dirty and a little trickle of water came out of it as well.
The bar is great craic and totally makes up for the lack of cleanliness. We were supposed to head out to the nightclubs on both nights we were there, but because it was so much fun, we didn't end up leaving the place. The staff have a relaxed attitude and are a great laugh.
Pumping a bit of money into the hostel to bring it up a notch would do no harm.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Backpacker49
Reviewed October 16, 2009

was travelling around Ireland on my own, and this was my favourite part of the trip. I was going to stay for two days, but ended up staying 10 days on Achill.
The house is Victorian, and historic - see the film "love and rage" with Daniel Craig which was filmed in the house, these events happened here. The hostel is basic, but at the price I wouldn’t expect more than I got. The beds were comfortable, the rooms clean, and the showers nice and hot.
From my base at the Valley House I was able to relax on the nearby beaches, hike, and play on their pitch and putt with its stunning views. I ate lunch there a few days, pub grub consisting of panini and salad, but it was delicious and good value.
The best bit though was the friendly atmosphere, it’s a family run business and I was made to feel at home. Each nite there was great fun in the pub which is downstairs from the Hostel (surprisingly the rooms are quite.). I don’t drink, but I was able to enjoy the music sessions, and play pool and darts, and meet some really lovely people from around the world.
Its is self catering, which I prefer to make my own breakfast in the morning as I am vegetarian, and Irish BandBs generally don’t cater to this very well.
All in all, I really enjoyed my stay at the Valley House, and would highly recommend any friend travelling to Ireland to go the extra mile to get out onto Achill Island, for the stunning scenery and real "old Ireland" feel.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank Irene C
Reviewed August 13, 2009

We camped at this hostel in July 09 and had the best craic in the hostel bar that night with a fantastic music session - Johnny Cash, Neil Young, The Beatles, Nirvana... Extremely friendly young staff member showed us around to free showers [don't get this often when camping in Ireland] very clean kitchen and dining room. Camping was the best price we also found in Ireland - E5 for tent and E5 per person in it. Please don't change that! The house as the guide book said was 'a crumbling edifice' - that nearly put us off but glad it didn't as its a fantastic old house with real character. Set in lovely grounds - polytunnel, vegetable garden, courtyard. We absolutely loved it here and I've seen alot of hostels in my time and this to me is one of the best in Ireland for character and good craic. The paint might be peeling away in some spots but if this doesnt put you off you have to stay here.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank billybusterIreland
Reviewed July 9, 2009

I camped here with a few friends. There wern't many other people there and we had the place to ourselves mainly. We were lucky with the weather and it only rained for a little while. I'd reccomend this place coz it's cheap and you get to use the kitchen and showers for free. There was everything you need in the kitchen- microwave, toaster, oven, two hobs, cuttlery, pots and pans and two fridges etc. The showers were warm and clean. The bar was good and there was a pool table there too. The staff were friendly and helpful. The beach is about a mile away. It's a blue flag beach and great to swim at. It's a lovely area for walks too. Had a great time, definately going back!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank savagekillerparrots
Reviewed July 28, 2008

I stayed here with a group of 6 people during the summer. We arrived late on the Friday night and went to the bar to find someone to show us to our room. There is a really laid back mood about the place. We were in a large dorm and there was no one else there but ourselves which was great but the 12 bed dorm didnt have a lock on it which was something I didnt like. But we felt fine leaving things in the room. But I suppose thats a judgment call you would have to make.

I really dont want to be negative about this place because we had an absolutely brilliant stay there but as hostels go I wouldnt rate it facilities wise. The house is old so the place could do with a lick of paint in spots. The beds were comfy so no complaints there. There were only 2 toilets which seemed a bit mad but saying that I was never waiting! The showers are on a token basis. You cant change the temperature but they do give you loads of time and you dont pay for them or anything. But the spray wasnt the strongest. Did the job though. And the price was good too!

The hostel itself had a public bar open at the back with a beer garden. We had a great time there and there was always a session going on with someone or other singing or playing guitar so 10/10 for the atmosphere. Really really loved the bar.

I would stay there again if I was with a bunch of friends away for the weekend but no longer as there is no real comfort in the place.

You would really need a car to get there as its about 10k from Achill bridge and another 5k or so off the main road. I thought the setting was class though. Near a beach and felt really secluded.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends