Book In Advance

from $329.22
More Info
from $84.59
More Info
All reviews archaeological site walking shoes main gate upper entrance worth the climb well worth the visit byzantine history upper town uneven terrain walk up walked down magical place during summer comfortable shoes information boards wear good shoes steep hill
Reviewed January 30, 2019 via mobile

We visited on a cold crisp January morning and was delighted that we were the only people there. The place is fascinating and the views are incredible.
I wish I could’ve spent longer there and hope to go back next time I visit the area.

Date of experience: January 2019
Reviewed January 8, 2019 via mobile

I was skeptical when I arrived whether I'd climb all the way to the top but each successive ruin and view led me on to the next and it was all worth it. Since there's so much to see at all levels there's plenty of time to rest along the way. I recommend parking at the bottom and walking up (you have your choice, entry gate at top and bottom) because who wants to hike back up after you're tired? Lots of beautiful spots to picnic throughout. Frescoes at the lower levels quite extraordinary, worth a second visit. Upper levels more weathered but wonderful sense of history. Caution wear safe shoes - extremely uneven terrain.

Date of experience: January 2019
1  Thank lroden
Reviewed January 7, 2019 via mobile

This site was near the town of ancient Sparta. We were driven to the top and hiked to the palace before descending for the hike to the other areas mainly churches and a museum. All the areas are worth visiting even the small museum. Good walking shoes are a must including a bottle of water. Give yourself 3-3.5 hrs to enjoy a leisurely hike with time for viewing the beautiful surroundings during the hike. Bring some tidbits as you will be back in Sparti for your meal after the hike. This hike was good for the cooler month of December!

Date of experience: December 2018
1  Thank Simonfss
Reviewed December 13, 2018

We started our visit early in the morning, which was necessary as it got up to 100F later in the day. We first drove to the top and did that portion first, leaving the lower section for later. It was fascinating to see the churches and the frescoes. The world is lucky that UNESCO stepped in before the entire site became a pile of rubble.

Date of experience: July 2018
1  Thank tkt1961
Reviewed December 12, 2018

The well maintained two lane roads servicing the upper and lower entries of this site are moderately steep and narrow, but easily navigated and lead to adequate free parking at both locations. There is a small admission fee which allows entry to both the upper and lower areas and the staff is very friendly. Climbing the stairs and navigating the pathways of this amazing site can be quite a workout and the climb to the castle at the top is probably best left to those who are more fit. However, there's something for everyone. In addition to getting an up close look at the ancient structures there are numerous opportunities to enjoy absolutely beautiful views of Sparta and the surrounding valley. We were there in August, and it was quite warm. I recommend that you carry water and visit this site during the cool morning hours .

Date of experience: August 2018