“Wonderful stay”

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Lixouri
Slovakia
“Wonderful stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2009

I can say just good words to this hotel. I can start with the equipment of the rooms - typical greek room with TV an airco, which is very good it has a big bath not only some corner with water taps ;). Cleanladies are very powerful to my surprise, firstly I thought that they will be lazy as in all other greek places but they change towels daily and sheets every 2 days except Sunday, so you can rely on them. Very good thing is also a water and some cafee and teas on the room. Cleanladies daily add this items. Food and service. We have "soft" all-inc, so we don't have to buy some extra food, everything is available.. .. alcohol drinks are free only during dinner and happy cocktail hour. I am not a pool boy so I haven't tried pool for all my stay.. But sea was realy breathtaking - clean, warm water and nice red sand.... The place was quiet and relaxing don't except any super truper disco and stuff like that... But there is one thing which is important. Animation program was great - sport,games and in the evening also small fun shows for adults and childs. There were 3 animators (2girls 1man) all from Slovakia but they can fluently speak ENG,GER,ITAL,SRB. so greeaat.. But I can point out one bad thing. Grass was watered with something like recycled water or something so sometimes there was bad smell near grass in the afternoon hours. But definitely this is the hotel which I prefer to all... Good choice

1 Thank Johndos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Wrexham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2009

Overall good hotel, food and entertainment, although if you want sunbeds for the family, you'll have to be up by 7.00am to get those towels out !! The sunbeds have have a printed "rule" that they should not be reserved and left unattended for more than 1 hour - be warned or stay and have an early morning swim, it's nice. See my youtube video - "Cephalonia Palace Sunbed Fun"

1 Thank stephenandali
robin213
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2009

Hi there,
well just got back from spending 2 weeks in the Palace hotel, went with my wife, 22yr daughter and 13 yr old son, so a bit of a mix .Ok where to begin, arrived around 2 pm, booked in and then had to lug the bags and ourselves upstairs to our rooms, which seemed to be the furthest away from the reception, passed the hotel engineers working on the hotel cess pit, so the smell was a bit fresh !!! no lift , no help with bags, totally tired out from travelling , so not a good start ... one tip for the new arrivals , is ask for 2 cards ( no key to room , you use a swipe card , plus this card also has to be used for the electric power to come on ) so problem is , when you leave the room with your card , the power goes off, (save money I guess) but if you have things in the little fridge or want the A/C on while you are not in the room , then its a pain ( believe me there's nothing better than coming into your room after a hot day sunbathing, day trips or any other activities and feeling lovely and cool ;-) . Room itself was very clean and spacious with a nice balcony overlooking the sea (well a bit of it, due to trees blocking the view). As I said, a little fridge in the room and a kettle with tea and coffee, so was able to have a nice cuppa! Plenty of room in the wardrobes to put your clothes etc , TV as well provided in the room, so good for the kids (although only a few English speaking channels ).The hotel itself could do with a bit of a make over , nothing major just a coat of paint here and there , just to brighten up the place. Very good size pool with a smaller pool for the little ones , sun loungers are provided ( but alas it’s the same old problem the world over , not enough and the very early birds doing the towel thing , so either get up early yourself ( I must admit , I did this once , got up at 6am and still there were towels laid out !!!!) or don’t get to stressed about it and spend a day down the lovely Xi beach 5 mins walk away ;-) the pool bar is nice and shaded , so is very handy in case the sun gets too hot .The Hotels restaurant reminds me very much of a school dinner hall. Although the food was plentiful and varied, it did lack the presentation you would expect from a 4 star hotel. We did find that in the morning at breakfast and midday, the hall gets very warm with the A/C only in the evenings. The staff were very helpful and friendly, with a lot of local knowledge, although the late night staff spoke little English, we muddled through. A must we feel, is to rent a car for a few days, car rental is a 5 min walk from the hotel. Drive around the island (which can be done in 2 days, stopping off at the tourist spots and sleepy villages and fishing ports) traffic was very light so not a hassle driving (my first time driving abroad and I loved it)
There is a daily bus that goes into Luxori from the hotel twice a day, but at 3 euro’s each (4 of us) one way, it was cheaper to get a taxi.
The entertainment at the hotel in the evening was a bit of a let down, with not a lot to do, although the entertainment staff tried their best , we thought maybe a few themed nights and a BBQ would have been better.
All in all we enjoyed our stay at the hotel and would recommend a stay there. The Island itself was lovely with a friendly , not to touristy feel about it.

2 Thank robin213
West Sussex, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2009

A fab time. The food was terrific. The resort was like Bratislava-By-Sea, loads of Slovakians! They were friendly, but they did get out early to put their towels out on the sunbeds. Nobody takes any notice of the signs saying not to reserve beds. The 'animators' were enthusiastic but average. The evening entertainment was mediocre for adults. It was low budget and inconsistent. Nice people but Simon Cowell would have pressed his red buzzer! Be prepared to spend. The pool bar was good value for food but the soft drinks... 4 Euros for a milkshake! The transfer to the hotel was fine. We were a big party with 4 young children and all the baggage, I asked for the road transfer and was told that that was only used in bad weather. What bad weather? zero percent chance of rain with temperatures in the mid 80s. If I wanted a road transfer I had to pay 75 quid each way for this and I was told it would take longer by road. This was not the case, when you add up the coach that stops at other hotels to drop off others, the ferry journey and the taxi from Lixouri I reckon it would have been quicker by road. I suspect that it costs Thomson less to go across by ferry.When we got to Argostoli ferry port the 2 reps were going to go off before the the ferry arrived and had no intention of helping us onto the ferry with our baggage. We voiced our concerns and they did wait and help us on, but only after we protested. WARNING... unless you get a ground floor room one child might be sleeping on a camp bed. According to the rep 'There are 2 types of family rooms in the hotel'. No No, a family room should be a family room. We did not have 4 adults going, only 3 adults. The hotel have a contract with Thomson that if there is adult under occupancy then the 1 adult and 2 children go into a 'family room' which is actually a room with two single beds and a camp bed squeezed next to the other beds. I voiced my displeasure that it clearly stated in my documents I had '2 x family rooms (sleeps 2-4)' and I was expecting 2 identical rooms which could sleep 4 people if necessary. The hotel were brilliant and resolved the situation, I felt the rep was not interested. To sum up, a good holiday to get away from it all. If you want to experience Greekness go somewhere else. Xi beach is not typically Greek and neither was the evening entertainment. It is quite remote so car hire is a must. The hotel and staff were fabulous, I would gladly return. Thomson's performance.. That's another story.....

Belgrade
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2009

This is very good hotel. The hotel is architectural interesting and good inserted in the ambient.
The rooms are nice and very clean. External space and terraces are large but space inside the room can be larger. Each other is compensated so somebody doesn’t feel the shortage of space. We were on the ground floor, with twin beds and bunk beds for children, but at neither moment we didn’t feel it was tight space.
The food is superb and delicious. Maybe, the food can be more varied, particularly this applies to fruit (for examples there was no peaches), but these are really details. The chief of the restaurant is very polite, including completely staff which fulfils all whishes.
The best choice is all inclusive. We didn’t know it because at the tour operator options that became were semipansion and pansion. But who pays for pansion actually is in the regime all inclusive, what enable not only lunch, but both beverages and sweets, not only in main restaurant but also in the pool bar, and practically throughout the day.
The hotel has big swimming pool and number of attractions for its guests. The team of animators is an especially for story. Ian is top entertainer and fitness instructor. The girls, Katka and Deniska, are very good in working with children and our younger son loved that with them and children conducted during the space near the pool.
The hotel is located near to excellent beach Xi, which is only 250 m from the hotel. Xi is blue flag beach, the sea has crystal clean water and beach is particularly good for children because it is long shallow water.
As is Kefalonia heavenly island, we took a car in Pefonis rent-a-car agency and visited many beautiful places and beaches. Although the Paliki peninsula somewhat isolated from the rest of Kefalonia island, when you have a car practical to do notes. There are a lot of rent-a-car agencies on the island, and the prices of hired car are very appropriate.
We had one superb holiday on this amazing island, and the hotel Cephalonia Palace contributed to this extraordinary impression. We will back for any year on Kefalonia, and the choice can be again this beautiful Cephalonia Palace hotel.

W Yorkshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2009

Went to this hotel 13 years ago and it was wonderful - so decided to revisit the island and the hotel. The first thing to note is that about 2/3 of its clients are now all-inclusive, something which British travellers are not told. That has changed its target customer base completely and makes this not a place for a couple looking for a quiet hotel. A shame, because its location is great - although a car is probably a necessity.

The biggest gripe is with the food, which is poor quality and poorly cooked. The Maitre D proudly told us he was in charge of the kitchen - which is a disaster because he clearly knows nothing about food. It's a formula set of menus with little variation.

This hotel needs a chef who cares about food and its preparation - without that, it is not a hotel I would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Lixouri hotels

Surrey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2009

This hotel is a good choice for a relaxing break. Travelled with my husband and 2 children plus my father and partner. It is true the family rooms are small and need refurbing. However my fathers room on the second floor had been refurbed and was of a better standard. Location is remote you need to hire a car or arrange some trips if you don't want to sit around the pool all day.

Food is good and lots of greek dishes, usual pasta choices for the children and those less adventurous adults. Note that the hotel also runs all inclusive which you can choose to upgrade to, we took our trips and then upgraded (20 euro a day 10 for children).

Jan and able female assistants worked very hard keeping adults and children entertained during the day and evening and did a good job. If you want bright lights and crowds dont go, if you want a relaxing break with genuine friendly staff then go!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lixouri
Apollonion Resort & Spa
Astra Village Hotel & Suites
Kefalonia Bay Palace
Kefalonia Bay Palace
#4 of 6 in Agia Efimia

Been to Cephalonia Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!