“Travel to fairy tale and childhood”
Review of Schloss Moritzburg

Schloss Moritzburg
Reviewed August 11, 2013

It was a wonderfull experience for me to visit this castle. It was a trip to my childhood because there was filmed the Czech fairy tale movie "Three nuts for Cinderella" that I saw many times as a child and could not imagine any Christmass without it. The magnificent feather bed and tapestries, lovely rooms, exquisite porcelain and also interesting excursion to the cooking and dinning at the time of August the Strong. Since it was used as a hunting lodge, there are many antlers, even one room is dedicated to the deformed ones collection wchich was a fashion at that times. You can go through the castle on your own and there is the guide in many languages available.

1  Thank Jana46

Reviewed July 12, 2013

This hunting castle has not lost his effect of taking you into a different world after all these years when you first see it and walk up to it. That's why it is sad that it is not anymore as authentic as when I was I child, much commercialization took over.
When to visit this place
Come in in July for the Stallion Parade
Come in the winter time bring your skates and skate on the lake surrounding the castle
Walk to the smallest castle The Fasanen Schlosschen only 30 minutes away

Reviewed July 5, 2013

If you are a fan of the film " Three hazelnuts for Cindarella" you ought to take a trip to this castle. This is where the king lives and where the ball takes place. The castle is so beautiful from outside, especially when you come driving and suddenly see it across the lake. Just stunning. We just walked around, and looked at the castle from outside. You can pay and take a tour inside, we did not do that. There will be a Cindarella exhibition inside in winter, would like to see it. Small giftshop in the castle, a bigger one just outside. Also a cafe on site.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

This place is beautiful...from the outside. OK, really, not even the outside as much of it is in the resoration process and any photos you take will be highlighted by these temporary, albeit ugly scars.

The inside displays consist largely of racks of antlers, probably at least a couple hundred. They're hung all over the place, many of them originating from non-native species (didn't know there were moose in NE Germany!)

There were no descriptions written in English. Most of the displays are Czech / German descriptions that are photo printed on long shiny plastic tapestries and they give you the feel of being at a temporary High School Career-Day Expo. Cheap & out of place.

Nealy ALL of the (what I'm assuming is) natural wood paneling, molding, etc. is obscured by dirty fabric covered panels. Almost like they are trying to HIDE the castle's real charm.

Particularly disturbing was the way the old instruments (I believe these are authentic) are displayed. Violins & lutes with heavy fishing line wrapped around the thinnest part of the necks & tuning pegs, tied to the top of the display case, and swinging around with each passing footstep.

We waited in line for 90 minutes and paid 16 euros to get into this place, and after squeezing past rude German after rude German we finally had enough and asked for a refund at the gift shop. The manager barely spoke any English and after waiting for 20 minutes, we were finally refunded 14 of our 16 Euros.

2  Thank InquiringMind99
Reviewed December 20, 2012

If you are a fan of the xmas movie 3 Haselnüsse für Aschenbrödel - sorry my foreign friends, you probably don't know that - as I have been as long as I can think of, this castle is a "must do". I was thrilled the very first moment when it came into sight as I had all these wonderful pictures of the movie in my head. It is so beautiful and so romantic and you can take a million pictures. We were lucky because despite the missing snow that weekend in Dresden, there was snow around the castle which is only about 20 km away.
As I said, I am a fan of this movie and so we took the chance and took a tour in the castle and I was amazed by exhibition inside. You could see all the different dresses, a replica of the kitchen from the movie, lots of pictures and many many explanations about the difficulties when this movie was made. I enjoyed it, my darling enjoyed it (ok, the repeating music drove him nuts at some point) and the kids who were there with their parents loved it as well. This is fun for the entire family.
I am really thrilled to see this castle in summer and maybe I am lucky and the shoe of Cinderella is back again on the right steps. Don't miss this castle!!!
One advice... It seems the parking machines are not working. We put money in and there was no ticket received. I found a little tourist info across the parking lot and they gave me some kind of proof that we have paid the ticket machine.