“Three hazelnuts for Cindarella- castle”
Review of Schloss Moritzburg

Schloss Moritzburg
Reviewed July 5, 2013

If you are a fan of the film " Three hazelnuts for Cindarella" you ought to take a trip to this castle. This is where the king lives and where the ball takes place. The castle is so beautiful from outside, especially when you come driving and suddenly see it across the lake. Just stunning. We just walked around, and looked at the castle from outside. You can pay and take a tour inside, we did not do that. There will be a Cindarella exhibition inside in winter, would like to see it. Small giftshop in the castle, a bigger one just outside. Also a cafe on site.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

This place is beautiful...from the outside. OK, really, not even the outside as much of it is in the resoration process and any photos you take will be highlighted by these temporary, albeit ugly scars.

The inside displays consist largely of racks of antlers, probably at least a couple hundred. They're hung all over the place, many of them originating from non-native species (didn't know there were moose in NE Germany!)

There were no descriptions written in English. Most of the displays are Czech / German descriptions that are photo printed on long shiny plastic tapestries and they give you the feel of being at a temporary High School Career-Day Expo. Cheap & out of place.

Nealy ALL of the (what I'm assuming is) natural wood paneling, molding, etc. is obscured by dirty fabric covered panels. Almost like they are trying to HIDE the castle's real charm.

Particularly disturbing was the way the old instruments (I believe these are authentic) are displayed. Violins & lutes with heavy fishing line wrapped around the thinnest part of the necks & tuning pegs, tied to the top of the display case, and swinging around with each passing footstep.

We waited in line for 90 minutes and paid 16 euros to get into this place, and after squeezing past rude German after rude German we finally had enough and asked for a refund at the gift shop. The manager barely spoke any English and after waiting for 20 minutes, we were finally refunded 14 of our 16 Euros.

2  Thank InquiringMind99
Reviewed December 20, 2012

If you are a fan of the xmas movie 3 Haselnüsse für Aschenbrödel - sorry my foreign friends, you probably don't know that - as I have been as long as I can think of, this castle is a "must do". I was thrilled the very first moment when it came into sight as I had all these wonderful pictures of the movie in my head. It is so beautiful and so romantic and you can take a million pictures. We were lucky because despite the missing snow that weekend in Dresden, there was snow around the castle which is only about 20 km away.
As I said, I am a fan of this movie and so we took the chance and took a tour in the castle and I was amazed by exhibition inside. You could see all the different dresses, a replica of the kitchen from the movie, lots of pictures and many many explanations about the difficulties when this movie was made. I enjoyed it, my darling enjoyed it (ok, the repeating music drove him nuts at some point) and the kids who were there with their parents loved it as well. This is fun for the entire family.
I am really thrilled to see this castle in summer and maybe I am lucky and the shoe of Cinderella is back again on the right steps. Don't miss this castle!!!
One advice... It seems the parking machines are not working. We put money in and there was no ticket received. I found a little tourist info across the parking lot and they gave me some kind of proof that we have paid the ticket machine.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

there is a strange collection of deer antlers which illustrates that aristocrats often are nuts. The building and the park are beautifull

Reviewed May 28, 2012

A hunting lodge in reality, I saw Moritzburg Castle first as Cinderella Castle in old film made in the former Republic of Czechoslovakia around 40 years ago. Until that time, I was told that the real Cinderella Castle was St. Hilarion on Kyrenia, Cyprus. Moritzburg does not look like that. It is unique. The same is true for the film. Some people believe that it is the best film of all times. Even those who do not believe this watch it around Christmas. "Three wishes for Cinderella"

The place you can see the castle is also called Moritzburg, a municipality of Meissen in Saxony, Germany. If you walk down the main street, you watch the stunning silhouette of the castle and feel like Cinderella riding to the castle. For a horse, you do not need to walk ten miles to get. The Saxon state stud has been located in Moritzburg since 1828. The horses still go strong.

The Castle named after Duke Moritz who had placed his hunting trophies in the building. The hunting trophies are still there and dominate the whole castle. The current building was an idea of August the Strong, the King of Saxony who had become the King of Poland. August was also the king who forced the alchemist Johann Friedrich Böttger to generate gold from waste. Böttger has "invented" the European porcelain instead which is being produced in Meissen. Some excellent pieces can be senn in Moritzburg.

What amazed me most is the art of weaving of feathers. The "Feather Room" that once served as the castle's splendid audience chamber was awarded the "European Prize for the preservation of cultural heritage - More than a million coloured feathers were assembled to create this room’s unique work of art. Unfortunately, you cannot take photographs in that room.

The hunting trophies have an age between 270 and 400 years. Some of them (39) are called "monsters" because of the unnatural way the antlers grew. E.g. the famous deer killed in 1696 by Friedrich of Brandenburg with 66 tips! A very unique trophy is the skull of an elk with an approximate age of 10.000 years. Imagine - at that time one could walk from China to Indonesia or from France to Great Britain. And the Nile was just 2.000 years old.