“Unique Menu with Superb Service”

Restaurant Herrenhaus
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Toronto, Canada
“Unique Menu with Superb Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

If you are in Wasserburg, be sure to include this restaurant. Even if nearby, it is well worth a It has a very special menu with an excellent wine list. We had Iberico pork and also a lamb dish. The Iberico pork was part of a very creative 4 - course tasting menu that deserves mention. The place has a pleasant outdoor terrace but go upstairs to the main restaurant. The interior is stunning. A very comfortable place for a 5 - star dinner. Our server, Maria, had perfect English and deep knowledge of the food, history and the region too. If you like Schapps, ask for some special brands that are hard to find. Be sure to visit the bathrooms too!

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Robert A

Esporles, Spain
“A wonderful surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

We had been strongly recommended this restaurant by different people and we of course, always follow the locals advice.
Wasserburg is a lovely place, with its castle, river, atmosphere and historical buildings, and I can certainly include Restaurant Herrenhaus as a main attraction of the town.
The building has been beautifully restored and the atmosphere of the place breaths history from its past and for its great looking future.
The service was really helpful, polite and took especial care to explain the menu and the wine recommendations. Great selection of wines, and I would outline the Austrian wines, which have been an extraordinary surprise.
The food is just superb. I was expecting the meats, especially the duck, to be cooked perfectly, but it really was outstanding. The restaurant goes its way to include season vegetables, local and organic, and I was extremely surprised by the quality of the products and the level of cooking.
The fish and the sauces we enjoyed at the restaurant have to be the best we tried during our holidays in Bavaria. Both cooks have international experience, and you can taste it in every dish they serve.

It was a real great discovery and well worth the visit, you will not be disappointed!

• Visited December 2011
Munich
“Nice but nothing special”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2012

Having read the reviews on trip advisor and elsewhere my husband and I decided to give this restaurant a try. Our first attempt at making a reservation failed because tables were booked three weeks in advance. This intrigued me to find out more about the restaurant and to sample the food.
We initially sat outside for an aperitif before making our way to the restaurant at the top of the stairs. I ordered a Tawney Port but was disappointed to find that I had been served the dregs of the bottle which made the last mouthful quite repulsive. I decided to say nothing to the waitress and proceeded to order some still water. The water arrived but was not still water, though bubbles were reduced. This time i informed the waitress as my husband noticed that the water's expiry date was January 2012 and this was now 28th April! No appology was offered, only the comment that this was good to know as the restaurant would claim the supplier as this was from a fresh delivery.

A wall mounted blackboard provided details of the special 3 or 4 course menu (34/41 euro) for the day ( braised shoulder of ox). The a l'carte menu contained 3 starters and 3 mains most of which were dishes that could be prepared in advance. The food was very nice and my filet steak was of good quality and tasty, though I would have prefered it to have been grilled or pan fried. I was not overly impressed by the selection on offer for a restaurant with such a fine reputation but also cannot fault it. There was a good selection of fine wines and staff were very knowledgable to help with choice.

A choice of three desserts were on offer but I asked for strawberries and ice cream. Unfortunately, this arrived melted. The waitress made excuses about the weather (very hot) and the way they make the ice cream. I'm sorry but there is no excuse in my opinion for ice cream to be served warm, the clue us in the name! Perhaps the plate which felt as though it was fresh from the dishwasher added to the problem?

The restaurant had a nice bar area that preceded the dark but pleasant dining room. The premises were very clean, including the toilets, and staff were friendly but did not receive critisism well.

If I found myself in Wasserburg again, I would definately eat here again, however, I would not travel for the experience as this could be found in local restaurants as it was good but nothing special.

• Visited April 2012