“Great resort hotel”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Sonthofen
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Great resort hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2010

I recently attended a 4 day conference at the Allgau Stern hotel. It was my first visit. It's a very, very nice huge hotel in the Oberallgau region of southern Bavaria. I don't know how many buildings/rooms the hotel has but it is ginormous -- without being uncaring or feeling too large. I stayed in room 155 in the Luitpold Residence building. It was a first floor room so my views over the valley below were kinda blocked by the bldg in front of me. But that was okay as I was there for work... The balcony does have tables and chairs but the weather was cold while I was there so I didn't use those. The room is a suite with minibar/fridge. Very comfortable bed. The sofa (I only used it to read for short periods) wasn't so comfortable. The bathroom was marble and quite bright. Lots of closet and wardrobe space in the room. I had no complaints with the room and would be happy to stay in the same room again!

The spa facilities are wonderful. There's an indoor pool with a jacuzzi adjacent to the pool. The multiple saunas (beware prudish Americans, it's completely nude -- in fact a sign leading into the spa/sauna area warns the area is completely nudist and that clothing/swimsuits are not allowed due to sanitary requirements) are large and HOT with amazing picture windows looking over the valley and hills below. It was very nice to sit, relax, sweat, and look over the valley and hills. My only question is why the spa area doesn't have a large, hot communal jacuzzi. The jacuzzi by the pool was okay but not too warm and just a few water jets. Other than that, the spa area is fantastic. It would be wonderful after a day of skiing. And it was wonderful after a long hike above and around the hotel!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2006

We spent five nights from 27 OCT - 1 NOV 2006 at Allgäu Stern Hotel primary for my wife to attend a conference hosted at this location.

The Allgäu Stern Hotel is a great hotel/resort with a great location. We stayed in Residence IV in a corner room that had a perfect view of the valley below and Alps in the distance. The staff is multilingual and very helpful. Parking is free. The room was large, clean and well kept. We had no trouble getting cribs from the hotel for our two children. There was a minibar, telephone, television, and hairdryer offered as amenities in the room. The food offered to us for the conference was a breakfast, lunch and dinner on a buffet. The quality of the food was good, but not great. The finer restaurant was closed during our visit. There are also several bars in the hotel for people to congregate, as well as many spa and wellness activities on site. The concierge is also well prepared to assist guests in participating in activities off site within the area.

The Allgåu Stern Hotel is also well located for travel within the region. My wife played hookie from the conference twice which allowed us to travel to the nearby towns of Lindau and Oberstdorf as well as the town of Sonthofen below the hotel. The hotel was a great stay and getaway for a part of Bavaria that we might not have normally visited. We would book a room again at the Allgäu Stern Hotel again if we returned to the area.

My only complaint about this hotel is the lack of elevator access. Only the main hotel building and the newer Ludwig Suites building offer elevator access. If you stay in Residences I, III, or IV, expect to walk up and down many stairs to and from the room or to and from the main hotel building. This was not a problem as much as it was an inconvenience since we have two small children and require the use of a stroller.

Also, check the hotel's website for a map of the campus in order to better request a particular room. You could easily receive a room with a poor view if you do not request it. We got lucky!

• Liked — Location and scenery.
  • Disliked — Lack of elevator access in all buildings.
  • Tips/Secrets — Request a room with a view. Residences III and IV have no obstructed view if you are on the correct side of the building!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank christopher_brown
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonthofen
Romantik Hotel Sonne
#1 of 7 in Oberjoch
Landhotel Bauer Sonthofen
Landhotel Bauer Sonthofen
#3 of 3 in Sonthofen

Been to Allgau Stern Hotel? Share your experiences!