“I would fly back to Germany just to go to Die Kartoffel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Die Kartoffel

Die Kartoffel
Ranked #5 of 32 Restaurants in Ladenburg
Cuisines: Steakhouse, German
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Chester, Virginia
“I would fly back to Germany just to go to Die Kartoffel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

I would drive 4 hours round trip to take people to Die Kartoffel when they come to visit. I know that sounds excessive, but I disagree.

Excellent cuts of meat and for those who have never experienced this type of dining, it is equally entertaining.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Dana E

• Korean first
Heidelberg, Germany
“Spent the last 12 years taking this place for granted...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

My kids and I love this place! Guess we grew use to cooking our meals on stone... now that we are leaving Germany we are going to miss it terribly!

It is a great experience when you hear that meat sizzle and the smell is heavenly! Great veggi options for the non-meat eaters too... the potatoes are killer!

Great motif and character in the place too... plus you get to walk through a lovely walled city to get to it! (I use to call it home... )

It is worth the trip! Go! GO now!

• Visited August 2013
Savannah, Georgia
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

We always go to die kartoffel when we get the family together. It's such a nice experience. The food is great, wine is tasty, and everyone in the family gets what they want and cooked how they want. Lovely restaurant in a lovely town.

• Visited October 2012
Wiesbaden, Germany
“Perhaps the best Steak in Germany!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

If you are traveling anywhere near Ladenburg, (just North of Heidelberg) Germany, then a stop for dinner is a must...heck, even if you aren't that close, this place is well worth the detour!!! They don't have much of a menu, but that's intentional, as the restaurant focuses simply on meat, and the cuts are wonderful!
The atmosphere is soft and comfortable with a very inviting "welcome home" feeling as soon as you walk in the door. There are countless antiques hung on the walls that are guaranteed to make you think of your grandparent’s house. The staff is simply wonderful, the speak English as well as Germany and I believe that they dabble in French as well. Regardless, they have menu's in several languages. The beer is cold, the potatoes are fresh and wonderful and the schnapps is the perfect finish to your meal.
All of this makes for a great place, but what sets it apart is how the meat is prepared. You're served a raw piece of meat sitting on top of a very hot stone. From there it's yours to cook to your liking, be it rare to well done. It's a lot of fun, and you 're pretty much guaranteed to get it done the way you want.
Take the trip, it is more than worth it and I promise...you won't regret it!!!

• Visited May 2013
Heidelberg, Germany
“Die kartoffel ist sehr groß!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

Definitely not the restaurant but the potato!!
The setting was very quaint with "antiques" throughout the restaurant...which, btw, is on the small side. We went for the uniqueness of it---grilling your own steak on a hot stone.

The food was fairly good. My steak, grilled to my taste, hehe, was tasty and tender. 3 sauces are served with the steak & all were flavorful. My daughter's potato was uber large and topped with a roquefort butter which she really liked.

One thing I didn't appreciate...the server. She had some attitude going on which was uncalled for. We are used to "German" style...get seated, order/get your drinks, relax, order your meal... This being said, I felt the server attempted to rush us. Upon recieving the check, she asked if the change (9euro)was her tip?? No!!! That's what that 19% charge on my bill is!

Over all, it was a nice experience. Will we go back? No. There are too many other unique restaurants we have to explore. :)

• Visited March 2013