“Not sure what to say....”
Review of Hotel Ochsen

Hotel Ochsen
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Blaubeuren
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Full disclosure, I have family in Blaubeuren, but this time (first time ever) we stayed in a hotel due to a family gathering and there was no room in the family home. Usually I rate a hotel based on value for money, not on the supposed star system that big name hotels thrive on. I have stayed in many european hotels, both large and small, and I must say I was a tad disappointed with this hotel.
We stayed in room 22, and I must say this room was not particulary large...nor was it small. Average. The bathroom was quite tiny however. One noticeable difference I noticed in this hotel was that no face cloths were provided.
Our room had a balcony (not used in December with snow outside), that worked well to cool the white wine we had purchased. There were however no extra glasses, so we used the glass and the plastic one provided in the bathroom. The beds were a little soft, but I realize this is personal taste. The linens were crips and clean as shown in the photos provided by the hotel. The TV carried BBC and CNN, so that was a plus. The WIFI is free as mentioned by previous reviews.
They provided extra pillows without any fuss when requested.
I think what bothered me was a small thing that wouldn't bother most people. Since we were visiting family, we went to their house for breakfast the first day. The second day, we had to leave to catch a train at 7:30 am. Unfortunately breakfast is only served starting at 8 am on Sundays. The price quoted to us when booking was EUR95/night including breakfast. When I paid my bill, I only noticed later that the price of the room was EUR85/night and that breakfast was an extra EUR5/person per day. Clearly we had never eaten breakfast at the hotel, but that didn't seem to matter when it came to the accounting side of things. A small annoyance, that kind of makes me feel like I got ripped off in a beautiful little town in Germany.
The hotel was very clean, and quiet. Izzy the dog makes you feel welcome!

Room Tip: Try to get a room that doesn't directly face Marktstrasse because you hear all the late night re...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank AnitaM155019

Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here 2 nights with family and friends in June and had a very relaxing and enjoyable time.

The rooms are large and comfortable and very clean. I wouldn't call that luxury but it is more than adequate and comfortable. There was free wifi throughout the hotel, including in the rooms, and limited parking on the grounds.

Breakfast was a large delicious spread, and dinner was delicious. Unlike most German establishments we encountered, this one accepted credit cards at its restaurant.

There was an open area by the side of the hotel which was nice to sit and have a drink in the evening. They even set up a large tv outside.

The owners were very friendly and accommodating. Our friend booked the last room available on the Internet, which turned out to be a family room for 5 or 6. When he told them he didn't need such a large room, they charged him the cost of the room for 1 person, which was a very nice gesture.

Would stay again if I'm ever back in Blaubeuren.

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank Mrsfootloose
Reviewed September 7, 2011

This little hotel is nicely located int the charming Blaubeuren old town. Only a few minute walk to beautiful Blautopf spring. Our room was very spacious and spotless clean with free wi-fi and the window looks out to the red roofs of the old town. The staff was very friendly and courteous. Breakfast buffet was big with lots of varieties compared to many of the other hotel breakfasts we had during the 2 weeks trip in Germany . We specially love the many different types of fresh bread served there.

The hotel parking is free but have limited spaces.

There is a little traditional village right by Blautopf spring which totally worth a stroll after visiting the spring.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pochaco
Reviewed June 5, 2011

We were looking for a hotel during a recent visit to Legoland in Günzburg, and this hotel is about forty minutes drive away (I was put off by some of the mixed reviews for the Legoland partner hotels). It's located down a quiet street in the town, with ample parking at the side of the hotel (all full, but the owner moved his car to make space for mine). We arrived around 7:30 pm and ate on the terrace outside the restaurant; great food, inexpensive, generous glasses of wine, and a very relaxed atmosphere. Our room (triple-bed) was quiet, clean and modern; free wireless access is also provided. The owner and his wife were very polite and friendly.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 7, 2009

Blau Beuren was a hidden treasure and the hotel seemed perfect. Our room was spacious and all three beds were comfortable. But there were problems.

When we arrived we asked if we could park in the street in front of the hotel, and were told it would be OK. Coming back from our explorations of the town, we discovered that we were in a zone that required us to purchase a parking ticket. By this time, we were beyond the time when a ticket was required, and fortunately we had not been ticketed by the police. We mentioned this to the staff, and they looked puzzled and said, "Someone should have given you a pass."

The next AM one of our group members inadvertently left her cash and passport under her pillow. She didn't discover her mistake until we arrived at our next hotel that evening. We called immediately and staff said they didn't know anything about it, and they would check on it in the AM. I asked if the room was occupied and they said it was. I said that the maid would have found it when the room was made up. They again said they didn't know anything. I asked for the phone number of the local police so I could make a report. Then they called the owner to the phone. He indicated there was no police station in the town, and asked me to call again in the AM in case it turned up. When I called again, there was still a lack of concern expressed and I was reluctantly given the number of the police in Ulm. Instead of calling that number, we made the report at the police station in the town where we were staying. It was there that we learned that police services were not provided out of another town, not Ulm, and that there was a sattelite station in Blau Beuren. The police investigated but by then there was no sign of the missing items.

At no time did the staff or the owner accept any responsibility for the theft or express any interest in helping to retrieve the stolen items, and seemed to be attempting to sabotage our attempt to make a police report. They also did not even have the courtesy to express sympathy or regrets.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
4  Thank SeaMare6
Reviewed August 24, 2009

A pleasant family run hotel in the centre of town, little to find fault with, except some staff have not yet fully embraced no-smoking on the premises. The food in the restaurant was good Swabian fair, meat with caramelised onions, swabian noodles and Maultasche, salads, etc. Breakfast was the usual continental buffet, varied and plentful. The location of the Ochsen is ideally placed for exploring the sights of this ancient town, being centrally placed most things are within walking distance. It is surprisingly quiet at night for a town centre location, probably due to the shared pedestrian/traffic area in the town centre. A good base to explore a great town.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 5, 2008

It must be 4 or 5 years since we last stayed here and in that time not much as changed at this traditional family run hotel. The rooms are still clean and spacious but they have updated the tvs to flat screen (not that we watched it as no English channels) and best of all they they have included wifi in the €79 B and B price. Blaubeuren now has a town walking route around the stunningly impressive medieval buildings and we marvelled at the craftmanship durng our pre dinner stroll.
Dinner at the hotel was traditional and pretty heavy! (meat and swabian noodles) but they did give us a plate of salad to start though I must say the lower sterling/ euro exchange rate of the last few months has made it pretty expensive for us Brits. Breakfast was a mix of hardboiled eggs,cheese and cold cuts as well as cereals/bread/jams/fruit and yogurts all served in the white tableclothed restaurant.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blaubeuren
Hotel Forellenfischer
Best Western Plus Bierkulturhotel Schwanen
Hotel Cafe Zum Lowen
Hotel Cafe Zum Lowen
#4 of 4 in Blaubeuren

Been to Hotel Ochsen? Share your experiences!