“Breathtaking”

Hostellerie La Farandole
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Sanary-sur-Mer
Reviewed April 7, 2014

This is one of those hotels that will stay in your memory for a long time, so go for it. The reception staff is first class, not intrusive, but quite attentive and professional. The entire design, the thoughts that went into its setting, the rooms and the views are just amazing. The waves crash under the window and everything is made to make you feel special.
Not too appealing for children, as the beach in front is disappointing, and the guests we saw staying here tend to be rich elderly people who do their best to show off their class. I'm sure that if our kids started jumping happy bombs into the pool (which was too cold on a hot spring day), there would have been trouble.
We arrived too late and left next day so we couldn't enjoy the dinner - which the staff took great care to book for us - but the menu looked great. Given how nice the breakfast was, I'm sure it's a treat.
Prices match the quality and expectations of this place.
All in all, if you want to enjoy a special place, you got all the chances to make it unforgettable.

Room Tip: If you splash out to stay here, go the extra mile and get a sea view room.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank petimiru
Stéphane P, Gérant at Hostellerie La Farandole, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

Dear sirs,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Hostellerie La Farandole. Our team focuses on make our guests' stay an unforgettable experience. Your comment especially encouraged us as we work and we thank you.
I hope you come back to visit us very soon.

Stephane Pedeux,

Reviewed April 6, 2014

Upon arrival there is a wow effect. The hotel, restaurant and rooms look very nice. However, the hotel simply does not work. When we arrived we had been assigned a room which the very helpful front desk manager said might be too small for a 3 day stay and offered a larger room. However, this larger room was the only room in the hotel where you cannot open a window, which for a seaside hotel is not nice. So we elected to stay in the original room. Small it is. The wardrobe has room for exactly four hangers, two trouser hangers and two coat hangers. How that would work for two people at a seaside hotel I do not know. I tried to hang the trouser, but the space was too short, perhaps 2/3rds of a trouser length. There was no room to leave our small carry on trolleys. Worst of all, when we tried to sleep with an open window at nigh this proved very difficult because of the noise of a nearby train line. Furthermore the room offer very little privacy. The two small rooms are 111 and 112, they should be sold as a single room only.

The next morning I called the front desk to say that I would check out. The front desk manager was again very helpful and offered us a complimentary upgrade room which was not only larger but also suffered much less from the train noise because it faced a different way. The room itself was beautiful, but offered no privacy. The floor to ceiling sliding windows open onto terrace. This terrace in in effect a shared between 4 rooms, the individual “allocation” is marked with plant pots a few centimetres high. Since the room (no 8) is at angle to the three other rooms (I believe No 5, 6, 7) that share the terrace, there is absolutely no privacy. You have to keep the net curtain drawn. On day 2 one of the other guest using the shared terrace let her dog out. My wife just managed to slide our door shut before the yapping dog could enter our room. I spend 150 to 200 nights a years in hotels and have never seen such an arrangement. The architect seems to have no idea how to design a hotel. The bathroom also has floor to ceiling windows onto the terrace, but curtains are provided in the bathroom! There was no chair in the room, only two stools, not if you wanted to sit back you have to sit on the bed. This was a complimentary upgrade, but I would not want to stay in this room at any price.

Then there is the free internet. It would be nice if it worked properly. The setting is such that it blocks outbound email and incoming email is so slow that a mail with an attachment basically does not work. Only after I installed tunnelling software (Strong VPN) could I get my email. There were still problems with access to some websites impaired, for example FT.com would not recognise me and hence I could not use the subscriptions service, a softphone app on the iPhone also did not work. I demonstrated this to the hotels IT person. He immediately saw that there was a flaw in their system and apologised, but could not fix it because he depended on someone else. All these apps worked very well in the hotel I was in before that and in the hotel I am not is. So this is clearly an issue with La Farandole, and the IT person acknowledged this. Also the only Wi-Fi access point that was visible from our room did not work. It took a day to fix.
There were other niggles. For example, in the first room the music system to use with the iPhone was welcome, but you have to keep the main light in room on or it would turn off. No way to relax in the evening. Up checkout, in addition to my own restaurant bill someone else’s bill was charged to my room for the same evening’s dinner.

These niggles and the internet problems might be overcome, but there is nothing the hotel can do about the issue of being overlooked or the train noise. The issue of the very small room might be solved by knocking two room into one. But even then these rooms are very close to other houses and there is zero privacy. In any city hotel I stayed in the next building is further away than in this seaside hotel. A very strange arrange arrangement indeed.

The high price for the room is probably related to the good looks of the hotel, but I ended up being very uncomfortable. I would give this hotel a terrible rating, but that would be a bit harsh. Perhaps there are some rooms with privacy. Also the hotel staff was very helpful and tried their very best under difficult circumstances.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 111, 112 they are tiny and noisy. Rooms 5, 6, 7, 8 offer no privacy. I believe only the...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank StefanVoyager

Dear Stefan,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Hostellerie La Farandole on Booking. It is important for our teams to know opinions from our customers. We know the problem of open terraces, and we will solve this problem very quickly while closing the areas. I am very surprised to hear that you were disturbed by the train, because we are really located on the seafront and we hear many more waves than anything else.
And concerning the IT person, I was in fact the general manager.
I hope you come back to visit us. Do not hesitate to make your next booking by phone, as our receptionists will propose you a room that suits your application.

Best regards,

Stephane Pedeux

Reviewed March 12, 2014

A little gem in south of France, hidden away from the touristic track- beautiful sundeck bar ( service can be slow..) but view and feel is wonderful- sea view rooms is a must- fab SPA with a great realxing private pool area- phenomenal local wines ( service can be improved as staff catered to owners before guests.. Totall no- go..) but if this improves- its divine- small beach- but i would stay at my sun deck off the suite and order room service! Stay for a weekend- you will love it

Room Tip: Sea view is a must
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Asakatrin
Stéphane P, Gérant at Hostellerie La Farandole, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Dear Asakatrin,

Thank you for your comment. We are very happy as the feedback from our customers is very encouraging. We hope to see you very soon for another stay under the sunlight of Sanary-sur-Mer.

Stéphane Pedeux,

Reviewed September 17, 2013

LIKED: really friendly and helpful staff, super location in a cove with a small beach, great design with a blend of stones, steel, glass and wood. Great rooms. Nice pool. Bar with a view.
DIDN'T LIKE: prices are not cheap. Service in the restaurant was slwo in the evening. It seems that teh restaurant was run by an external supplier who had left apparently without further notice. So cooks and staff had to be recruited literally overnight. Everyone really did its best to cater. Food was excellent anyway.

Room Tip: Rooms on the pool side may be a bit noisy in high season as they are very close to the pool
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Hostellerie F, Gérant at Hostellerie La Farandole, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Dear Mr OlivierCBrussels,

I am really pleased to know that you had a good time in our etablishment.
I just would like to inform you that we have a new executive Chef for few months. All customers are very satisfied and appreciate the cuisine. I invite you to come back to test it !

Waiting to see you again very soon.

Stéphane Pedeux
Gérant / Directeur Général

Reviewed August 17, 2013

You can read more about my review of this hotel here: http://richmondpip.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/voyages-en-france-4-sanary-sur-mer.html

Gorgeous hotel with stunning views and a high spec. Pool area was great and access to a nice little beach area.

Only downside was music and noise could be heard from the rooftop bar until midnight and someone (drunk) woke us up trying to get into our room.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RichmondPip
Reviewed August 17, 2013

The hotel is beautiful located near the baie de Bandol.
The architecture is something you wouldn't expect in such an area.
The hotel looks really luxurious.
The check in went very quick. A lady guided us to our room and keys were handed over. Some advise to the lady, please explain wifi, breakfast, dinner, etc...
The hotel has a private parking, which is recommendable during high season.
Wifi is free and your device stays connected all day(which is not the case in many other hotels, where you have to log in after every 5 minutes).
The room looked in good condition (hotel is just 2 years old), with a spacious bathroom. Room had a great view, well decorated.
Airco works perfectly.
The hotel has a terrace(skybar) where you can drink and eat, with a stunning view over the sea. Only remark is that you can only eat on certain timeframes, so forget you will be served a salad or clubsandwich at 2.30PM.
The swimmingpool is georgious, spacious, plenty of room to read, sunbate or swim. As the hotel only has 27 rooms, the crowd is limited and you can enjoy a relaxing quiete afternoon. Towels are provided. Only a pitty that some plants are made out of plastic.
Remark is that you need to get somebody if you want to drink or eat at the swimmingpool. Even when you ask for somebody to serve you, you will need again 15 minutes to wait. Finally the person arrives, not really a 4 star friendlyness.
And the bad service continued. We arrived after dinner at the skybar terrace(2nd floor). There were few guests. We sat down, but nobody to serve us. I went myself to the bar to order, a bacardi coke and a mojito. Guess what? They didn't have bacardi but havana, ok for me, but then the rum was sold out for the mojito. I ordered something else, drinks arrived after 10 minutes, and they even didn't clean our really dirty table, so i asked to clean it!!!
Finally you ask for the check, waiter says ok but disappears to smoke a cigarette?!?! Just unbelievable. We asked another waiter for the check; check arrived instantly but appears we couldn't sign on for our room and had to pay straight away. Wtf!?!?
This wasn't the case in the afternoon when we had a drink at the same bar and suddenly the rules changed.

And the great service continued the next morning during breakfast. No table available, or the tables that where availbale where dirty and full with other cutterly from guests before.
The buffet is a joke!!! Some ham, eggs, bread! Give me a break. We were even not offered coffee, the croissants were sold out(what did you expect). A nice young lady took the old stuff away from the table, but forgot to clean it.
Second day at the swimming pool, no staff to serve you drinks nor food.

This all proofs again that you can have the moist beautiful place on earth, but without the great service to match , it won't work. Thats the case for la farandolle. They have the place, tihe spot, but they don't have the service that matches. Personally, the venue is beautiful and deserves a 'wauw factor' , but the people that drive the venue (especially restaurants) is a stopper.

We spoke with two very lovely and nice receptionists when leaving and told them about the bad service in the restaurants. They are fully aware of this problem and explained us that the hotel and restaurants are seperately run. But luckely for them the hotel would take over the restaurants again. I hope this happens soon as the restaurants service brings the total experience down.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank svalkenborg
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Rooms sold with sea-side views are actually standard rooms, with the ability to see the sea only if you stand on the end of your bed (which you tend not to do most of your time in the room). Besides this disappointment (which was disregarded by the hotel, as "you are the first customer complaining, so there is no problem here"), location is nice with a nice architecture. Premium is charged, but not quite a good ability yet to deliver premium standards. Overall disappointing.

• Stayed: July 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sanary-sur-Mer
Best Western Soleil Et Jardin
Best Western Soleil Et Jardin
#4 of 7 in Sanary-sur-Mer
Ile Rousse Hotel Thalazur Bandol
Grand Hotel des Sablettes Plage, Curio Collection by Hilton
Grand Hotel des Sablettes Plage,...
#1 of 9 in La Seyne-sur-Mer
#1 of 7 in Saint-Cyr-sur-Mer
Hotel Synaya
Hotel Synaya
#2 of 7 in Sanary-sur-Mer

Been to Hostellerie La Farandole? Share your experiences!