“Best steak ever”

Dining options: Reservations
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Best steak ever”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

My husband said his steak here was probably the best steak he's ever had. Sirloin with roquefort done a point (medium). I had to agree. The ice cream was also very nice.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Mel H

Rainham, Kent
“Great value for money!”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We went on a damp Tuesday in April after noticing the Menu de Jour for 11Euro. Good job we went in when we did because it soon became busy and le patron started to turn away other diners. The starter was a hot goats cheese salad, basically just one slice of bread and some salad and an egg but a good tasty appetiser. Main course was basically a small roast dinner, consisting of roast turkey, veg and pan fried potatoes with desert of creme caramel. Washed down with a pichet of wine and coffee, it was fantastic value for money and great quality. You could tell that it had been freshly cooked and if the place if full of the French, you can't be going far wrong. The waitress/patron was busy and at times I would say the service was a little slack but she was on her own and this is France so we weren't too bothered.

• Visited April 2013
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
“Consistent”
Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

Thought I should update my last review as its been a long time and I went twice on this visit in Sept 2012. The couple who run it still do and the quality remains very high. I believe its not the best in Domfront which has been taken by Le Grand Gousier, but for the price its excellent and always a fantastic meal. Only once in the 15 odd times I have eaten there over the years have I been disappointed and that was my fault for not reading the Plat de Jour properly which included Andouille, made from strongly flavoured innards and a distinct acquired taste. This time I did not go with the Menu de Jour but twice a la carte ordering 2 types of Tartine. The Normandy Tartine, with its accompanied cup of wonderful local cider (cidre), and once with the 3 cheeses. I like the first best as the 3 cheeses can be a bit OTT, but both are delicious. Tartine is a long single slice of toasted bread smothered in cheese and other bits with an accompanying salad covered in a balsamic dressing. Priced at 8.50-12 Euros a Tartine make a great meal and if your are not sure about the Plat de Jour, its always a great choice.

yorkshire
“A bad day perhaps?”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We visited this restaurant on the stregnth of the reviews on Trip Advisor and I have to say we were pretty dissapointed. The waitress was pleasant enough but not very helpful, the food was well presented but mediocre. I had the Tartine which tasted as if it had been warmed up in a microwave. Kids had the special burgers, which again, they were not particularly impressed with. By far the best dish was my partner's Normandy salad. The prices were reasonable, although when asking for the plat de jour (a very reasonable 11 euro) we were told it wasn't served on Friday?? The setting was very pretty in a little square with some beautiful traditional buildings, but all in all nothing to write home about.

• Visited August 2012
Bath
“Unbeatable”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Fantastic value and excellent quality. Good atmosphere too. We had a tartine (large slice bread with toppings and a faux filet. Both were very very good. Expect to wait a while for this freshly cooked food. With 50cl of red wine the bill came to 29Euro. Best place we ate in Normandy.

• Visited July 2012