“Brilliant staff - vintage French hotel with great character.”
Review of Hotel de France

Hotel de France
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Domfront
Yorkshire
“Brilliant staff - vintage French hotel with great character.”
Reviewed August 19, 2010

We loved the people and the situation. - the staff couldn't have done enough for us, and were polite and welcoming from our first arrival. We only booked two days in advance and requested a twin room, and a quiet one, both of which requests were met. We had a room which looked out over the back gardens down to the river, (which merited a walk in the evenings.)
However our disappointment was the tiny size of the room, with plain basic furniture, worthy of a school dorm. We could hardly move around the beds without bumping into each other. The toilet was fine (no extraordinary noises or suction machines!!) but the main shower room was grubby, and smelt damp, due to the lack of an extractor fan. Thus there were black marks on the walls, and poor standard of tiling in the shower. The room decor was dull and overall could have done with a lick of bright paint and some pictures. Howewver, the beds were comfortable and we did get a good nights sleep. I had the feeling that this room was not used very often, or was used as an overflow room, so this may have been the case. Yes there were the odd one or two flies, but there are flies everywhere in France in August, so we carry fly spray in our car, which we used.
We didn't bother asking for a change, as we are fairly tolerant travellers, and have stayed in a lot worse, in all parts of the world. As we were there for only two nights, sleep was more important to us. But would have requested a move if were were there longer.

We enjoyed the meals in the grill room on both evenings, and the pricing system was explained to us. We thought the cost was very reasonable. Would we stay again?? yes, but would book further in advance and make sure we had one of the bigger rooms at the back.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Milan, Italy
Reviewed November 6, 2008

I arrived in Domfront without a hotel and no knowledge of the town and was directed towards two hotels, this one, where I was told the rooms were nicer, and the one next door, where the staff is nicer.

Thinking I would only be there for a few hours as I was just passing through, I chose this one for the rooms. For a two-star hotel, the rooms were quite nice...I had two beds, the room was modern and clean, and the bathroom, with a very large bathtub, was clean, bright, and very nice.

The only problem I had was that when I checked in, I was quoted a room rate that included breakfast and dinner. What I wasn't told then, was that this required me to eat certain things, in a certain place, at a certain time. Never mind that the same person who took my order and served my dinner was the person who sold me the room with the meals supplement--she breathed not a word that I was choosing the wrong thing.

The next morning, when I was given my bill, there were all these extra charges on it, and the lady who was handling it at that time said there was no record of me having the meal plan, and even though the price of the room that was clearly indicated on the wall was clearly lower than the price on my bill, and that the meal supplement plus room which was also advertised on the wall above the till corresponded to the amount on my bill, she said nobody had left her a note to that affect, and that there was nothing I could do about it.

I was in a hurry to get going, so didn't push too hard and demand to see the manager, as I was sure that this would both take a lot of time and be a lot of heartache.

Better still, just avoid this hotel and stay somewhere else.

• Liked — The bathrooms
  • Disliked — The shady pricing, billing, and checkout experience
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank JJOnline

Travelers are raving about these Domfront hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Domfront
Le Manoir du Lys
#12 of 17 in Bagnoles-de-l'orne
Hotel du Beryl
Hotel du Beryl
#2 of 17 in Bagnoles-de-l'orne

Been to Hotel de France? Share your experiences!