“Very pleasant restaurant”

Le Pavillon de Margaux
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Margaux
Reviewed October 29, 2011

Went there today to grab some lunch. It's a very pleasant place, gorgeous view, nice food and wine. Very close (walking distance) to Cht Margaux. I would absolutely go back there.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed August 15, 2010

good points:
in the heart of margaux (but the village is so small that everything is in the center)
you have wifi - but nowadays everywhere has wifi
bad points:
they sell the name of the village, we paid 95 euros for a simple room, even not in the main building, it was such a dissappointment
room was bare
breakfast was 12 euros or something per person- it's ripping off, nothing else
summary: go and arrange a B&B in advance, you will have superior accomodation!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank soloBelgian
Reviewed November 13, 2009

We arrived at the hotel in the evening at around the time we said we would but to find that it was closed and had to call and wait 5 minutes for the receptionist to arrive. She gave us our key to the room which was not in the main building and we saw her drive off again. We then had to call for the password for wi-fi connection, which was given incorreclty so we had to call again. Why could information like this not be left in a file in the room?

We were not advised the restaurant would be closed and we had not decided whether or not we wanted to eat there , but on our arrival we had no other choice but to eat elsewhere. There was no-one there to advise or any information as to where else we could have gone.

The room was not clean, really not the standard expected of this kind of establishment. The headboards to the beds were very dusty and the bedside lamp shockingly so,

Service for in the morning was fine but to have stayed somewhere where there is no-one on site is very disappointing as it is a hotel not a bed and breakfast. Little things could have got this place a much better score.

Location and setting were stunning and the facilites are fine, therefore the aforementioned were a huge letdown. The receptionist did seem surprised when I told her the room was not clean. Pictures on their website are representative of the grounds, but until they rectify these issues I cannot recommend this hotel,

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank Oakleyto
Reviewed July 13, 2008

We have recently returned from Le Pavillon Hotel Margaux and had a wonderful time. The Hotel is beautiful and the staff were very friendly and obliging.

We had a very nice room plenty big enough with a king size bed and sofas and tabels and a flat screen tv. The views over the vineyards were stunning.

The bathroom was spotlessly clean and very large.

The restaurant was very pretty and the food both nights was delicious.

We would definately recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to the Medoc Region .

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Tilly10
Reviewed July 9, 2008

We stayed nearly a week at this hotel while touring the Bordeaux wine country. We had a modern, large spacious room. The staff was very nice & spoke good english. Would definately stay here on future visits to the area.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed June 20, 2008

I cannot believe that this hotel has been rated so highly as it is by far one of the poorest places I have stayed. I was hugely disappointed having driven for 9 hours to find that the delightfully charming hotel nestled amongst on eof the finest wine regions in the world was nothing of the sort. The vines and chateax are stunning but the same cannot be said for the hotel. It started badly whe we mentioned we may not want to eat in the hotel restaurant - I like most people like to try something local. The receptionist was a little put out by this and then when I discovered there were no ther retsaurants she was rather sulky when I explained that I did not wish to eat before 8.30 (giving myself and my partner approximately 45 minutes to shower and freshen up before dinner) I then proceeded to ask for a blanket and another pillow as the room on ly had 1 and there were 2 of us! Again this was not taken kindly and I was told that there was only her there. apologies for requiring the bare essentials.. The dinner was good. The food was simple and fresh and this was a bonus. The icing on the cake had be the burglar alarm going off in the middle of the night and me having to phone a number on a business card to return to the hotel to turn it off! - I was travelling 700km the following day, I was very tired and I wasn´t even offered an apology for the inconvenience. I wouldn´t even know where to start with the decor of the rooms, the stains on the bedspreads, the body hairs on the bathroom floor and a numerous amount of other faults. Had the receptionist been there in the morning I would have demanded a discount to the 300 plus euro bill. These hotelliers ned to raise their game, it is not fair that they benefit from the location of their property, they should be doing everynthing in their power to enhance it, not ruin it.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank bertndaisy
Reviewed February 15, 2008

Pavillon de Marguax sits between the Chateaux Margaux vineyard on one side and Margaux village on the other. A location that's hard to beat! The village and a number of Chateaux are within easy walking distance.

More than half of the rooms have unobstructed views over vines - some towards Chateau Margaux, others over less prestigious names. But vines all look much the same, so who's to know when you're showing your holiday snaps ;-)

The hotel itself is quite an old building, but the rooms have obviously been refurbished quite recently - bathrooms are modern and work well, beds are comfortable and a (flat screen) TV is provided.

Each room is named for one of the local Chateaux, and individually decorated - including a framed reproduction of the label of the relevent Chateaux on the wall.

There is a choice of room sizes - standard and salon. I stayed in the larger salon, which included a large sitting area. Having peeked into one of the standard rooms, I'd say those were pretty spacious as well.

Unfortunately the restaurant was shut when I was there - apparently it only opens for special occasions during winter. It also looks out over the Margaux vineyard. However there are a number of other restaurants within Margaux village and these are not busy in the off season.

Reception staff are English speaking, but also willing to make sense of my dubious attempts at French. Reception was very helpful in making bookings for Chateau tours (essential for most places, especially if you want a tour in English)

By the way, I think the previous review shown for this hotel is actaully for the Relais Margaux - the Pavillon does not have a golf club.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RichardOrmson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Margaux
Relais de Margaux
#1 of 2 in Le Pian Medoc
Ibis Bordeaux Le Lac
Ibis Bordeaux Le Lac
#16 of 177 in Bordeaux

Been to Le Pavillon de Margaux? Share your experiences!