“Nice resort.”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Margaux
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
“Nice resort.”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Large clean rooms in resort setting. Staff very attentive. Restaurant very good. Only complaint is poor air conditioning. Had to sleep with windows open and it rained. Air conditioning seems to be poor throughout France during the late spring however. I'd recommend this hotel and resort and would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed January 14, 2013

The hotel was within vindyard area and World Heritage site St. Emelion which offer you relaxing atmosphere. The hotel offered free wifi password for 24 hours and in the next days you must log in only once to use your device until check-out. The breakfast restaurant rendered warm ambiance home-made omelette, hot chocolate and pastries. The only negative thing was that I'd asked for a cup of hot chocolate as usual and the waiter had received my order. When it's time the hot chocolate should come there was no staff available, so I had to walk around looking for them but everyone was still busy. So I had to bring me by myself a small kettle they had made for me but forgot to bring it to my table. Suddenly a male french staff appeared and gave me a really MOCKING face and whispered to another staff in French in a long sentence. I was really shocking! because it's a VERY RUDE!. Even in my Asian country, service professionals don't do that kind of rude manner in front of their client. OMG! I don't expect to found it in this civilised country. No offence to french people, I realized that someone in our world may not change their habit they have got used to....The room was nice and clean, the stationery was adequate for me to write something to send to my family. Outside the hotel, there's some high trees which gave a brilliant scene contrasted with the blue sky. Everyone in our group took to the pictures with those trees.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Southampton Parish, Bermuda
Reviewed October 15, 2012

If you have had enough of chateaux and want a modern hotel with large rooms, golf and wine on your doorstep and an efficient well run hotel, this is it. Check in was fast and we were taken to our room as this is a large property. The room was larger than average for France and just what you would expect in a 4 star. Heated towel rails always go down well with me. BBC and CNN on demand. A fridge and kettle etc. and air conditioning!!!! The breakfast is better than average with a large choice and .....big smile.....your own large pot of coffee. Nothing sends me into orbit quicker than having to beckon for refills. We had one lunch in Brasserie and one dinner in the main dining room and the food was very good and nicely presented. The staff were without exception very friendly. The golf course was a little worse for wear as Summer2012 was wet but it had some challenging shot making holes. The pool and spa facilities were great though the gym was poor. We didn't have time for treatments. There were a number of small business conferences going on....good in ways! The property is right on the river with lots of trees so there are insects.......raid is provided in the room as there are no screens. We were eaten alive on the golf course and they weren't Mosquitos. Margaux and Pauillac wineries very close and the hotel made the reservations for our tours. There is a chocolate factory just down the road. The intimacy of staying in small Chateaux took me out of my comfort zone at times so this spacious property was a welcome change at the end of our trip. This hotel is not a true French experience though.

Room Tip: The 300s have small balconies.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is situated north from Bordeaux in some beautiful surroundings. It has everything one would want including Golf course, swimming pool, spa etc. The rooms are spacious however we wondered what purpose the glass doors on the inside toilet are for-they almost hot you on the knee when you sit down!!!. The meals are well presented and tasty. The breakfast is one of the best we have had so far. The building is very elegant. Definitely recommend

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Devon
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We used this as a luxury stopover on a cycle tour, so location suited us. Agree that apart from the hotel's own facilities there is nothing much nearby, and the local tourist offer is almost exclusively wine tasting or boat trips. Our room was very comfortable and spacious, although I think the lowest price category. Decor did not appear tired, and furnishings of quality expected. Large bathroom and separate loo. Comfortable sofa in room - a rarity on our trip.
Restaurant was good - portions not large but interesting cuisine and good service. Breakfast reasonable - the usual buffet style for France with better choice than in budget hotels.
Wifi is now free. Drinks during day were similar price to town cafes. While spa is extra, outdoor pool is open to all guests
Two factors stop it being a 5. They were the only place not to offer us under cover cycle storage. While not on a main cycle route, they have plenty of space for a modest shelter. Also there was no information on display about golf or spa prices, so we didn't bother to find out whether we could have sampled them in the time available.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We stayed here for a nice on our recent trip to france. We stayed for a couple of nights.
It helped that when we were here the weather was fabulous, so we spent a lot of time by the outside pool, which was lovely and clean. The only downside was that there wasn't a pool bar.

The rooms were spacious and well decorated. The bathrooms were also large.

We aren't golfers so we didn't visit for the golf. I would imagine that if the weather was terrible and you weren't a golfer you might be a little bored.

The restaurant and bar in the club house were lovely, we eat there for lunch twice the food was tasty. It closed at 6pm and then you were directed to the hotel bar, which was closed in the day.

We ate in the hotel one night and it was OK, there were some weird combinations i.e. I had a tomato salad that came with strawberry sorbet! But it was ok.

I would stay here again and would reocmmend it to people passing through the area. It was also good value as we got a last minute deal online.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Perth, Scotland
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We only stayed at the Chateau for one night but we have already decided to return. The staff were very polite and helpful and spoke very good english. We used the spa which was lovely and whilst we didn't have any treatments the area was very clean and calm.

We then ordered a bottle of champagne from room service and it arrived with veloute of beetroot, nuts and olives, and a smile!

The dinner in L'ille Vincent was excellent. The service was superb and the food delicious. I had terrine of fois gras followed by sea bass and then a beautiful desert of nougatine and cream. My husband had langoustines followed by a very good steak and cheese. The food was cooked to perfection and at 39 euros each very reasonable.

If I had to make a negative comment it would be that the decor in the bedroom was a little tired and the water from the shower leaked onto the floor but it did not detract from our stay.

Thank you Relais de Margaux for a lovely trip.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Margaux
Le Pavillon de Margaux
Logis La Citadelle de Blaye
Chateau Grattequina
Chateau Grattequina
#1 of 2 in Blanquefort

Been to Relais de Margaux? Share your experiences!