“Terrible disappointment at tourist trap prices”

Restaurant Le Savoie
Reserve with
Restaurant Le Savoie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 9 Restaurants in Margaux
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 11, 2018 via mobile

The plus side: the food and wine is good... the negative experience: The service is terrible and very snobbish. We ordered two menues (one for 33€ and one for 46€) and I asked if it is possible to change the entree to a cheaper salmon carpaccio and they confirmed my wish. At first the served the wrong main course and did not excuse the mistake and let my wife eat her canard alone while I had to wait for my filet with foie Gras. After I ordered the check I asked why they booked all my courses to a la carte prices. With a snobbish smile they did tell me that it was not possible to change the entree to a cheaper one and that's why I had to pay the higher prices. It is a typical tourist trap where they charge 8€ for a bottle of water and you have explicitly ask for tab water (which only the locals get without asking). If you don't mind terrible service it is a good place in the middle of Margaux. We won't come back after this terrible disappointment!

Reviewed July 2, 2018 via mobile

I worked in Margaux nearly 30 years ago when the Savoie was newly opened and became our regular dinner spot. The staff were friendly and welcoming but unfortunately, this is no longer the case.

We stopped for lunch after I realised the restaurant was still there. We were shown to our table by the maitre d’ who hardly spoke to us. We had to wait to place our order and even longer for the food. We were offered still or sparkling water, not a carafe d’eau which most of the other tables had.

I ordered a foie gras salad but when it arrived, there was no foie gras. I queried this with the waitress who took the salad away and then returned with it, saying I had ordered a vegetarian salad. I disputed this and asked her to check with the maitre d’ who had taken the order. As a result of this, I got my foie gras salad but no apology at all. This left a rather sour taste as did the fact that the maitre d’ didn’t speak to us again and avoided all eye contact. The other waiting staff were not great either - no one bothered to say goodbye when we left. We were obviously not the only customers who were not happy with the service - the neighbouring table had waited for their desert from about 20 minutes and were still waiting when we left.

The food was perfectly acceptable (and expensive) but the service wasn’t. In France, you don’t have to put up with this and you can get much better for much less money.

2  Thank Debbie_Foster
Reviewed May 27, 2018

If you don't mind paying 8 euros for a bottle of water, then this is the restaurant for you.

But if you want people to treat you nicely, and actually respect the fact that you chose to come here and give them your hard earned cash, then don't come here. Because they don't respect that fact, and treat you like they couldn't care less. SNOOTY is the term I would use. I'm not even going to talk about the food, as the way staff treat you is the first thing you encounter, and thats the impression you take away.

2  Thank Dave A
Reviewed May 26, 2018 via mobile

Interesting visit to this place - hard to say how to summarise as some parts were amazing and some were seriously awful.

We asked to sit outside (despite some rain) but we wanted to make the most of the warm weather and the partial sun - however, we didn’t realise there was a nice “inside garden” that we could have sat in, and weren’t offered it as an option, we only found out at the end of the meal when we went to the bathroom.

The food overall was appeasing to look at and had good flavour, but the plates were hotter than the sun, and were clearly sat underneath a heat lamp for a bit too long as the sauce on the white fish was congealed at the edge and had a film across the top.

Both fish were perfectly cooked however and wonderfully seasoned, the purée mash was exceptionally creamy and flavoured (saffron!).

Desert was lovely, the cafe gourmand was perfect, and we had a cheese plate, but this came without bread or crackers (perhaps that is normal in this part of France?) but when we asked for some it was literally hand-grabbed and thrusted in our face.

The service overall was very disappointing - either we weren’t welcome or they were overworked but we saw our server 4 times in a 1.5 hour stay, once to take the order and three times to bring food out. Rude, obnoxious and bad attitude is all I can say - at one point the waiter nearly hit me in the France to point at the toilets and I had to flinch back and he didn’t even say sorry. Terrible.

For a highly rated restaurant I would seriously expect better service, we have eaten in smaller, cheaper and less known restaurants and had a million times better service.

Would I come back? No.

Would I recommend? No.

It’s a shame because the food sets the bar high but the service is awful. For the price I would expect better, and I was disappointed and it left a sour taste.

1  Thank emily_magic
Reviewed May 17, 2018

Recommended by Sophie who gave us the tour at Chateau Desmirail in Cantanac. Unable to get a taxi from Cantanac, we walked the 3km along the D2. Unfortunately, we were caught in torrential rain halfway along, and arrived soaking wet to this restaurant. The Maitre d' was very welcoming and took pity on us! We had a lovely meal - I had the lobster salad starter, followed by the rack of lamb, and both were excellent. We had the second wine of Chateau Priere-Lichine which was also excellent. After our lunch, and in the absence of any available taxis, the maître d' and one of the waiting staff drove the six of us the 20 mins back to our hotel. Such a kind gesture and very much appreciated.