“REVOLTING ... DO NOT GO ...”

Grand Cafe de L'Orient
Ranked #56 of 79 Restaurants in Libourne
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Une brasserie historique crée en 1860
bordeaux
“REVOLTING ... DO NOT GO ...”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I live locally and ona sunday night little options in Libourne for dining out. had eaten many years ago at Brasserie and menu was reasonable as was food. the food was a rip off in terms of price and quality. Husband had a tomato bread starter for E10 ... Tiny and awful. my oysters had broken shells in them. Worst of all his main course a pasta had some sauce like out of a jar ... Horrible ... No parmesan offerred. worst was my maincourse moules marinieres .... Watery sauce with tepid moules bit the most revolting greasy chips ... First lot cold .. Sent back and complained about all food ... Chips came back as greasy but unedidable! e50 down the drain for food we could not eat ... Filled myself with bread rolls and butter! DO NOT GO THERE .... TRULY REVOLTING and they dont CARE!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank piggy1102

Bristol UK
“Grand building, average food”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Large Brasserie on the main square. Stays open later then most eateries in Libourne and also open Monday's - many places aren't. Lunch menu good value but the evening a la carte is rather pretentious, a bit overpriced and the Kitchen doesn't quite deliver. Imposing ambience and friendly service, but therw are better restaurants in Libourne.

Visited March 2013
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Awful service”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Ordered a black coffee and wanted eau chaud (hot water) the girl was very stroppy and didn't under stand what we meant. another waitress took over and she got it straight away. Lots of people in overalls (workers) there. Spoke to other local people in the area who said that is isn't good there. Don't bother going .

Visited November 2012
2 Thank Dawn C
Dublin, Ireland
“Awful service, awful food.”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

While calling itself a Brasserie this is actually a cafe which serves some plates to order from a menu. The building itself is very beautiful with fantastic ceilings and a wonderful outdoor terrace but that is where the positives end. The staff aren't just forgetful, they are downright rude (I speak French pretty well). I ordered a salad plate which consisted of a plate of lettuce, some shredded carrot, some tinned sweetcorn and a slice of tomato - 11 euro. Served with a basked of stale bread. Delivered by a young guy more interested in smoking outside on the terrace with his friends than making sure his customers were taken care of. Horrible.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank FreshEire A
Jersey
“Insulting service”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

For several years now we've stopped at the lovely nearby Hotel de France as a half way driving stop on return journeys from holidays near Perpignan, and happily eaten at this restaurant which is conveniently situated near the hotel. It's a very characterful buidling reliably serving pretty decent food, and up until this point I couldn't fault it. However, on our visit in early September this year we have never been so offended in a restaurant as we were by the service we received that evening (to the extent of prompting me to make my first ever online review!). The minute we opened our mouths the waitress appeared to take a dislike to us, her initial smile diappeared and disdian took over. Ordering was a fiasco. I've got a French degree and have previously lived (working and studying) in France for over two years so speak good French, my wife speaks entirely understandable French and my sister and brother in law had no problem being understood reading off a menu during the previous 2 week holiday (with me helping out if required). But on this occassion we were treated to the waitress gurning at us, shrugging her shoulders and sighing as though we were utterly incomprehensible. When I ordered wine she stood staring blankly at me, eventually grabbing the menu and getting me to point at the wine, shaking her head and reading out the wine I had just asked for with absolutely no discerible difference. Despite this, she still managed to bring the red instead of white, which I pointed out to her, only to be met by more gurning and shoulder shrugging. We were all thoroughly fed up and wound up by whatever game she was playing and I'd had enough, so she got the full force of my feelings in a rather loud exchange (in French). We were set to leave, embarrassed and thouroughly hacked off at treatment that I have never come close to experincing before, when she arrived back with the white wine, a brand new attitude and something resembling an apology for the 'misunderstandings' of the previous 15 minutes. Amazingly after our exchange, she suddenly had the abilty to understand every word uttered to her.

We stayed and ate and frankly the food was ok, although not as good as it has been previously. The restaurant itself also seemed less well kept than before, almost a bit grubby if you looked hard enough in places. But all that was a side issue compared to the service, which although slightly improved after the appalling start really was disgraceful.

Stay away, we will be.