“Sun, warm, surf, wind and fund”

Los Cobanos Village Lodge
Reviewed February 14, 2007

The place has a very nice and relax atmospher. It is extremly well managed by it owners. Rooms are very well desing, excelent ventilation, and shini clean.

The architecture is very well tought using local material, like wood, palm, but with well finished surfaces. The place has some times, great sideshore winds that make a for a good winsdurfing and kitesurf side, If there si no wind you can catch some nice longboard rides in regular days, and nice waves on big days.

I am a regular client, they make you feel at home.

Cheers

Aldo Miranda

Stayed: January 2007
There are newer reviews for Los Cobanos Village Lodge

Reviewed February 14, 2007

I stayed at Los Cobanos Lodge for 4 wonderful days. The staff were incredibly kind and helpful. They cooked delicious meals and arranged for someone to come to the lodge and cook pupusas for us on a night they weren't normally available--we were extremely grateful. One young woman who worked there walked with us to town to show us where we could buy a few things we needed. She showed us a crazy shortcut over a harrowing bridge, but I loved every second of it. They really made us feel very comfortable. Even though they spoke English, they helped us speak Spanish and were very patient--that was especially appreciated.

I was ecstatic that our room had a balcony overlooking the beach and t. It was a prime spot for sunrise and watching the fishermen head out for early-morning trips. It was beautiful.

I must confess--we spent A LOT of time in the pool. More than I ever imagined we would. It was so relaxing and comfortable there that we had a hard time leaving the lodge.

We did venture out for a long walk on the beach a few days. Close to the lodge, there are a number of small restaurants and small houses lining the beach. But when we went out further past a rocky area of the shoreline, we found the beach to be completely desserted and lined with large, unoccupied vacation homes.

I would definitely go back to Los Cobanos.

Stayed: July 2006
Reviewed February 14, 2007

I have stayed at Los Cobanos on various occasions (personal visits and while hosting groups of tourists). The hotel is very charming and is situated in a quaint town of local fisherman, which gives you the experience of seeing the real El Salvador while enjoy the conveniences of a nice hotel. The food at the hotel was very good and the service was attentive. I have visited on several occasions and have always been pleased. One of the local beaches, just a short walk away, is absolutely picturesque and you often end up having the beach all to yourself!

• Stayed: October 2006
Reviewed February 14, 2007

The Los Cobanos Village Lodge is a magical place. I stayed there for 10 days in 2005 and left with memories that I will cherish for a lifetime. The owners, staff, and villagers were incredibly welcoming and warm. I befriended many of them while adventuring around the coast and pitching in on projects around the village. They even invited me to play in a fairly intense soccer game from which I'm still recovering.

The accommodations were perfect. My room had a high ceiling, a nice warm shower, and an unbelievable porch view of the ocean. You fall asleep at night to the sound of the surf and wake up to the smell of salvadoran coffee. Great food too. If you're a fish lover, it honestly doesn't get any better than this. Los Cobanos is essentially a fishing village on a beautiful beach. In the mornings, you watch the fishermen launch their small boats from the beach into the surf, returning 10 hours later with a huge catch. You can walk down to the boat and buy your own fish and the lodge will cook it for you...or just order it from the lodge. Either way, it's fresh.

Surfing, kayaking, exploring nature by foot and boat, relaxing on the amazing beaches. Tons to do. Honestly, I could have stayed a month. I'll be returning soon with my wife to meet my great friends.

ps-- I saw a posting about bats... not sure what that's all about, I never noticed them. And I never had problems with creatures of any kind for that matter (if there are bats, I'm grateful as they keep the mosquitos away). Folks, be honest with yourself, if you can't appreciate nature, Central America isn't for you.

• Stayed: October 2005, traveled solo
1  Thank BasilNYC
Reviewed February 14, 2007

I was there with my wife and some friends for a Dive experience.
We got there after a 45 min drive from San Salvador, having a great view of Ilamatepec Volcano, recently in action in 2005.
It´s a cozy place in the middle of fisherman village in a little bay on the far point of Punta Remedios. So we contacted a man with a boat... with GPS!!! He already has about 120 places called "pedreros" (mid size to huge stones in a group) to go diving. We chose two: La Pichelera (50ft) and El Abanico (35 ft).
We had fair visibility and had a good time seing parrot fish, sponges, giant star fish, a lobster and many other kinds of fish.
After a 4 hour dive trip, we spent the evening at Los Cobanos Village Lodge, relaxing by the pool and having a big fish for lunch.
The place has clean instalations and good service. They have kayaks, but we were too tired after the diving to try.
If you want a relaxing place, away from the noise of the city, to share experiences and have a good time, this is the place.

JC Avalos

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 14, 2007

I have stayed at this beautiful little hotel many times. I am Canadian, but have traveled and worked in El Salvador on and off over the past eight years. Los Cobanos village is one of the most picturesque fishing villages on this coastline. The fishing boats are brightly colored and bob in the water with the rising tide. I have been out on one of the boats and visited nearby beaches (an activity I highly recommend). The coral reefs just off the beach are unique to the entire Pacific coast along the Americas. For snorkling and scuba-diving, this is an intriguing reef ecosystem that offers a unique experience that one would not find in other places. The hotel is nestled in amongst the other homes of the community. The entire village curves around the half-moon bay, often with children playing on the sandy beach and fishermen preparing their boats out front. This connection to the community adds tremendous beauty to the hotel. I have had many conversations with children and their parents, with the women leaders of the community, as well as with some of the older fishermen. The hotel is clean, feels safe and protected, the pool is refreshing, and the staff and owners are just great. I fully recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with friends
1  Thank sunshine-valentine
Reviewed October 29, 2006

I recently stayed here and really enjoyed the atmosphere within the hotel during the day. It offers beautiful hamocks and a wonderful pool. One thing to note is that the hotel is between many different fisherman homes and the beach that is represented on the pictures is about a .25 mile walk from the hotel. In addition, the rooms have bats living in the roofs. In addition to being afraid of having bats swooping at me in the night, I woke the next morning to interesting surprises all around the room, left as little presents from the bats. Again great during the day, scary at night. I would visit again for the day, but would not stay there overnight.

• Stayed: September 2006
1  Thank TravelLotsOPlaces
pochito, owner at Los Cobanos Village Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2007

Los Cobanos "village lodge" is a beach front hotel located in a cove with a beach and boats within a fishermen´s community.
We are a "village lodge" oriented to responsable travelers, our core business is rural tourism, scuba diving, surfing.
We protect all living creatures, bats control insect population and live all over the country, mainly at the beaches.
We try with natural methods to control overpopulation in the premisses, but because we have thatch roof, the control becomes a bit difficult sometimes.
We are adding interior false ceilings and window screens to prevent them from entering the rooms.
We do not allow dogs on the premises because of children, hygiene and privacy.
We have on our records a recuring visitor that got angry because we stopped allowing her annoying dog that messed up and she expressed " hating bats", she never returned.
We have hundreds of visitor´s comments who enjoyed kayaking, scuba diving, swimming, fishing and most important, the warm and friendly feeling of the people in the village and our hotel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Acajutla
HOTEL JUAYUA
#1 of 3 in Sonsonate
Santa Leticia
Santa Leticia
#1 of 4 in Apaneca

Been to Los Cobanos Village Lodge? Share your experiences!