All reviews free beer ryokan baths dinner onsen
Selected filters
Reviewed August 7, 2017

I I drove from Fukui to Kagari on national road 364, the driving route to fun. I drove thru some road running along the side of the mountain and long tunnels. The view was spectacular.

Love it!

Coming on this route, Kisshotel is on the right of the car. For a distance you will hardly see any building. On the road , once you see building and school and recreation center on the right of the car, you will need to slow down, else you will miss the hotel.

From the view in the car, the hotel is just a one story build just after a Y junction.

The parking is offsite, there is no parking space in front of the hotel.

Once inside the hotel, i felt very welcome. Its a very topical Japan Osen hotel.
The hotel is build downward. All the rooms have a good view of the river running below the cliff.

The room we had was a Japanese type Tatami Mat room. Its very huge in size and well appointed.Each room comes with it own attach bath tub. There are 2 indoor Osen pool and a outdoor pool. The Outdoor pool is very nicely design and on a chilly night, it very comfortable to enjoy the outdoor pool.

We had a set dinner at one of the inhouse restaurant. The food served was great , specially the beef . The service in the restaurant was good too. As they serve mainly Japanese guest. We had some issue with communication, but the resturant manager was very patient to explain every thing to us from the food to how to eat using his limited English. We appreciated his afford !

It took bad that we did not have time to explore the surrounding, but I will be back to stay for more then just one night. The is a small town which I see that there are many things to explore.

Date of stay: June 2017
1  Thank sunbeamrn
Reviewed January 6, 2017

The Kagari Kisshotel looked much better on the website.
The lobby felt more like a tour bus shopping stop at first glance with their gift shop right up front. Our room was not ready so they just left our luggage in front of the counter with rope tied around it. So much for a ryokan which costs almost as much as the high end hotels in Manhattan. However, the view was nice looking out but it was there before the hotel was so I consider it part of the nature. The room was a acoustic nightmare as one can hear movement of anyone getting up in the middle of the night. The bathroom was very dated which we avoided taking showers and had to use the public bathing area.
The in room massage chair upholstery was torn, our balcony had a huge pillar in the middle so one had to get around it to converse with another . The private cypress bath which I thought was a nice feature when i made the reservation had mold growing all around the edges. It is the small things that turn off guests and never return.
Unlike the sister hotel we stayed, the lobby area was aesthetically inferior without welcoming touch such as complementary beverages and free snacks which is almost a norm now in any upper end ryokan.
Dinner was a mess to the point of hostile. We were assigned a table in an open area sharing one server with half of the dining hall. Our plates were left there uncollected after several courses. Although food just kept coming but apart from hot pot which we had to cook ourselves, there was almost no dish came out from the kitchen. I doubt if this place even has a chef.
The only saving grace of this ryokan ( I paused to use this term here) was the view and the spacious public outdoor onsen area which was almost adjacent to the creek with soothing sound of running water. I got up at 6am to avoid the crowd, it was the best decision I made as the mountain spring water was warm and the place was serene
A Ryokan should be homey and welcoming which sets it apart from a commercial hotel, unfortunately, I had not such feeling being a guest of this place.

Room tip: Try the sister hotel up the street first
Date of stay: December 2016
2  Thank EELSM
Reviewed August 23, 2016

It's not a five star hotel but our group of 12 had a great time here. The hotel is situated on a cliff overlooking a creek. We took a hike in the trail along the stream. Very fun hike with lots of stops and lot to see (meaning creek, salamander and bugs). Make sure you bring some water with you if you visit in Aug bc there's no bathroom or water once you go on trail. We also rented yukata at the hotel. Hotel charges a little over 500 yen to rent one for the night. Room is tatami floor and spacious enough. We got dinner packages. Food was good and buffet breakfast was great. It's a short walk to town. Hot spring pools were not crowded and outdoor one was really nice. Only two downsides, bathroom was really, really tiny and I could hardly turn in it. No one except one gentleman from Portland, Oregon speaks English. Other than that, I would recommend this Onsen.

Date of stay: August 2016
Reviewed February 12, 2016

Hotel shuttle pickup from Kagaonsen Station. Have to make booking 3 days in advance and it took a good 20 minutes. The checkin was quick and the staff speaks little English. We have a Japanese style room with private onsen . The room overlooks a river and the running water noise was there all the time but was not annoying to the ears. The decor of the room was up to standard and the heating was strong. One drawback was the shower room is next to the onsen and both are in open air under cover. We visited in February. The toilet is inside though. Breakfast and dinner was included and the quality was high. Kagaonsen is only 30 minutes away by train from Kanazawa, about the same time the shuttle bus takes to reach the station from the hotel. Haha. There is a great walking track along the river opposite this hotel. Must try.

Date of stay: February 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2015

This hotel is a branch of the main hotel in Japan's Yamanaka hot spring in the Ishikawa Prefecture. About 30 minutes by train and another 20 minutes by shuttle bus from Kanagawa City. Another 2 and half hours from Ueno station by bullet train.

Room- We were allocated a big room next to a running stream.

Food-- With 10 Euro per person extra, you have a buffet with local ingredients for dinner.

Hot Spring: We have enjoyed 3 times during our stay. Very enjoyable. It is next to the main street of this little village.

Staff-- Their English level is not the best but they do the utmost they can to make you comfortable.

If I have a chance, I will definitely visit this nice little place again!

Room tip: Hot Springs suitable for at least 2 nights
Date of stay: July 2015