All reviews beautiful view of the lake group dinner discovery tour western beds kaiseki dinner one night public bath attire slippers balcony yukata onsen spring ryokan
Selected filters
Reviewed September 9, 2018

If you are looking for an authentic experience, fuhgeddabout this place. Yes, the food was good, but there is nothing traditional or charming here. It is a concrete hotel with huge rooms that are plain and charmless with 1960 bathrooms. The building is a vast, cavernous, empty public space. The maintenance is lacking throughout the hotel. We had a huge terrace with nice views of the lake, but I’d much rather stay in a real ryoken instead of a fake, soulless, replica. Breakfast isn’t until 7, and there is no coffee here before then except for a cold can in a vending machine,

Room tip: Yes, don’t come here if you are looking for a real Ryokan experience.
Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank Retired_Miami
Reviewed June 28, 2018

I stayed in tatami room with open air bath which is on the 8th floor for three nights. You can see the nice view of lake from the room. I informed the hotel about my allergic to flower and smoke, the hotel pay attention by asking me for more information about my symptom. When I arrived the hotel, the staff already knew my allergy and there was no flower in my room and no smell of smoke in my room. The staff were friendly even some of them cannot speak English but we could communicate. Dinner here was very impressive. Since I stayed for three nights, chef served me different set of dinner, no repeated dish at all. He created very nice meal for me. This gave me a perfect vacation.

• Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed May 29, 2018

Spent one night as part of Gate1 Discovery tour group. The overall experience was very good, staff was friendly and made every effort to communicate in English and find slippers to fit size 12 feet. The Ryokan experience was fun (sleeping on futon on floor) and the view of the sunrise over bay from balcony in room was priceless. Room was good (had kitchenette coffee station) and the only complaint was that halls in our wing were in need of a refresh. Breakfast was good and group dinner was excellent.

Room tip: one with good view of sunrise
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank John N
Reviewed May 24, 2018

Our tour spent a night at this ryokan. It was a very interesting experience.

Our group was bedded down in the annex as those rooms had both conventional western beds and futons. At my age and considering how difficult it is to get up and down, I chose the western bed. The room contained Yukatas which we wore both to the baths and dinner. I was all set to go into the baths, but comments from others of our group about how hot they were dissuaded me.

We had a group dinner that evening, and ate at the hotel breakfast buffet. Breakfast was interesting in that it included both Japanese and western foods. It was interesting to watch the Japanese prepare their own breakfasts on the various grills.

I am glad I spent a night there, but considering my age and limited time remaining, I am not sure I would choose to repeat the experience.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 24, 2018

This hotel is a Ryoken, typical Japanese Inn. On arrival we were issued with a Yukata ( bath robe) which we dressed in after having checked into our room. This is convenient attire for visiting the "onsen", or hot spring public bath, an experience which is not for the shy retiring type of person. All in together in the altogether so to speak. But extremely relaxing. When you walk into your room you wonder where IS the room. Just a floor covered in tatami mats, a small table in the middle and an alcove for massage. The rest, bathroom, closets, beds (futons) are hidden away behind sliding doors. We had a sunken balcony with view of the lake which was nice.
When we came back from a Kaiseki dinner the futons were spread out on the floor ready for a relaxed nights sleep. Buffet breakfast next morning was good, both Japanese and Western.

Room tip: Get a room with the lake view
Date of stay: March 2018