“Safari and Beach perfect” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Saadani Safari Lodge

Saadani Safari Lodge
Berks
“Safari and Beach perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

Five night stay in the perfect place . If your idea of heaven is to spend the morning on safari and the afternoon by the fabulous pool or beach look no further. Go before the world discovers this place . A morning on safari only seeing one other vehicle. Whilst patience is required to see the game it is all there and one can really enjoy the true beauty of an African location without feeling like you are in the local safari park.

The larger rooms are to die for compared to previouse safari lodges I have stayed at and the young couple and staff were first class attentive and helpful but also laid back and not in your way when you seek some peace and quiet.

Food excellent and all round a yes

Room Tip: Maladidi rooms I Think I have spelt that correctly rooms amazing
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank LovetotravelBerks
Saadani L, General Manager at Saadani Safari Lodge, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you very much for your review. You have captured the spirit of Saadani perfectly!

Our new rooms are called the "Maridadi suites" - Maridadi meaning elegant in Swahili. We tried to design them to match the surroundings as best we could, utilizing Saadani's natural endownments but also not leaving a heavy footprint.

Thank you again for kind words and we hope to see you again one day.

kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Ashford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

A fabulous opportunity to relax and experience the varied activities that Saadani has to offer. The wonderful couple of run the lodge are extremely welcoming, go out of their way to help and their friendliness to their visitors is like being welcomed into their home. The guides are extremely knowledgable from the game that is available at the Park, it's birdlife as well as the vegetatian. The river trip is a must! The setting is stunning. The rooms are clean, a lovely deck to be able to sit outside and listen to the lapping of the sea or enjoy the clear skies at night. The food is delicious and caters for all with prior warning should you have a specific request. Highly recommended -- you won't be dissapointed.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our little Lodge. Your reflections are much appreciated and we are thoroughly glad that you found our services and amenitiies to your liking.

Thank you again.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

I arrived at Saadani Safari Lodge at the end of a three week trip through Tanzania that included safari, climbing Kilimanjaro and a beach vacation in Zanzibar. But arriving at Saadani was the a highlight of my trip. It is like being welcomed into a good friends home and that was just what happened as we spent time with the owner of the lodge who is passionate about Saadani National Park. The team that he has put together at his unique lodge works to make your stay memorable. It is a very quiet lodge where you can do a game drive right on the property, go to the beach, the pool, have great food and a sundowner or two. The stars at night are incredible. The accommodations are really stunning. Beautiful rooms with windows open right on the beach make for a great nights sleep. We chose to do an afternoon safari drive and saw lots of wildlife. We also did the town trip and really appreciate what the lodge is doing to give back to the people in the area. It is really authentic. Saadani is a very special place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for your review of our Lodge.Mr. Costa is delighted to have met you and shared some time with you. We are very glad that of all the wonderful things you have seen and done in this magnificent country you felt Saadani to be the highlight. We feel very privileged indeed.

Thank you once more.
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed at Saadani Safari Lodge for 3 nights, following a hectic 6 day safari in Northern Tanzania. It provided an idilic conclusion to a fantastic holiday, but could have been a sole destination in its own right. There were 5 of us in our group; 2 teenagers, 2 70 somethings and me (somewhere in between!). We were picked up at the nearby landing strip and headed to the lodge where we received a great welcome. The location is really fabulous, deserted perfect beaches, and 2 lovely pools. The rooms were beautifully furnished, and unique. All the lodges were yards from the sea. We likes the 'green' credentials but that did mean the solar powered showers on the first day were warm, not hot, as it had been slightly less sunny than usual. This was compensated by the view of the beach that we had from the shower!
The trips were great, we did the river trip and saw lots of hippo's, crocs, monitor lizards and many birds. We also went on a walking safari which gave us a different perspective to the game drives we experienced in the Serengetti and Ngorongoro Creator. It was tailored to the abilities in our group and expertly guided with two guides, an armed ranger, and Nic, one of the managers. We were a bit disappointed that the snorkelling trip was unavailable but understand that it will be available again soon. The trips we took involved early starts to get the best opportunities to see the wildlife. We were given coffee / tea and cake before we left, and brunch was arranged to tie in with our return. This attention to detail was really appreciated and helped persuade the teenagers out of bed!
The bar was a peaceful place to relax with drinks and snacks pre-dinner served with big smile by the barman. It was a good opportunity to share the days experiences and chat with Nic and Jana who were always around when you needed them. Some evenings we were accompanied by regular visitors, a Genet and a bush baby. We all thought the food was delicious, varied and well presented. The portions were generous and served promptly, but without feeling rushed. Nothing was too much trouble.
Overall there is very little we could fault. We were exceptionally well looked after by lovely staff, and found that the combination of trips and time for rest and relaxation suited our mixed age group to perfection.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Saadani L, General Manager at Saadani Safari Lodge, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our little Eco Lodge. We are delighted you and your family enjoyed your stay so much. We are sorry we could not offer you the Sea safari but this activity is allowed if only all the correct weather and tide conditions are clement. We never take a risk with these to endanger life. I am glad that we could occupy your time otherwise.

Thank you again for this review and hope we can entice you back again another day.

kind regards,
Reykjavik, Iceland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

We, a family of six, found a small paradise when we arrived at Saadani safari lodge in last june. Saadani Safari lodge is situated right in the heart of Saadani national park on the beach. What a relaxing and beautifully designed lodge where enthusiasm for nature is infectious. It has a very friendly atmosphere, the staff played a key role with their warm appearance, always smiling, doing anything to make you feel at home. Our kids didn’t want to go home, leaving their friends behind! Not to mention the host, which made us feel welcome from the first minute we arrived. Always visible and followed us well during our stay. A very friendly couple, passionate for the life and nature at Saadani. The kitchen at the lodge was outstanding, inviting you the best possible local materials, fresh and tasty.
Saadani safari lodge is an adventure on its own. The nature is breathtaking, the birdlife so colorful, as is the range of bushes and trees. To see the elephants, giraffes and leopards in the bush safari one day and the crodiles and hippopotamus the next in the river safari, gives the safari trip an extra diversity. Also getting the chance to visit the beautiful local villages with their friendly inhabitants is an unforgettable experience. And last but not least, after a long day to have a swim in the inviting pool, looking out to the sea and a dinner in the totally dark evenings with its own lights hanging in the sky… the stars, …wow, we had forgotten how many they are!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank maggaogdengi
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for review and I am glad you share our belief that Saadani is indeed "Paradise". We are also glad that the park rewarded you with such incredible game sightings!

Thank you again for your review and generous words.

kind regards
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

Where to begin? The place itself is so beautiful my small family of three couldn't believe it. We love nature and quiet..... And so we were in heaven!
The moment we arrived we plunged into the warm sea, then the pool, then back to the sea again.
I lay beside the pool and immediately was served with a drink by the lovely Edward.
Frank came to talk to us at dinner and asked us what trips we would like to go on.... He took care of us for the next few days and always seemed on hand to advise and care for us.
All the local staff were amazing..... The chef catered to our complex needs, my daughter is a vegetarian, I eat fish but no meat and my husband eats everything! No problem! And he made my husband king prawns on the last night, for a treat! and breakfast was absolutely delicious..(lots of fruit for me and everything else for Chris.... The juice freshly squeezed ...... )
And the sundown cocktails, the best ones on our holidays. Dinners are simple, but actually I appreciate this as I don't believe that eating too much is healthy... And I felt that the simplicity of the food matched the feeling of being part of the local environment. And every meal was accompanied by zaine's beautiful smile!!!! I suppose for myself I would have also enjoyed more salad and raw vegetables.... But I didn't ask for them.....(I am sure if I had they would have made them for me)....

Nick and Jana could not have done more for us. Our luggage had got lost, and Jana not only chased it up for us by numerous phone calls, but lent me some of her clothes. And goggles! I had arrived in a horrible mood and with in seconds of our arrival, their care and reassurance had melted all my anxiety and I relaxed and started to enjoy myself. Jana is the cocktail queen.... Hers are the best creations ever....(and she is a great hostess and photographer and great to talk to)
Nick and she asked us at every opportunity what we needed to make our stay even better, and then made it happen.... They could not be better hosts! They are really compassionate, genuine and intelligent people.
While you stay there, I hope you meet the wonderful Costa...He owns the place... He is an extraordinary visionary and worth talking to! Prepare to be inspired!

I could have spent my whole time lying by the pool (big enough to do satisfying lengths) or wallowing in the sea.... And walking on the never ending and empty beach....
But we also enjoyed two safaris..... River and bush.... Lead by frank, who really knows his stuff....
We saw lions, giraffe, hippos, crocs, and some amazing balletic deer things that I absolutely loved! And birds of every kind...We also saw the sister river lodge which looks amazing!! (next time!)
As with all great places, I didn't want to leave.....as my husband says, I have to be dragged away kicking and screaming!

Truly a unique, heart warming and beautiful place.... And oasis in this over complex world....a place to let go, become whole and to smile from the heart.

• Stayed July 2012
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you very much for such an inspiring comment. It is in truth not always an easy job to manage a Lodge and I know that the simple fact that you and your family took some much away with you makes the difference for all of us.

Thank you again.

kind regards
Wickford, Essex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for three nights as part of our honeymoon in July 2012.

Location - We had traveled from Dar es Salaam by road and the journey took four hours. The location of the lodge was very beautiful, set on the beach with local life and wilderness just behind you. It was very close to the airstrip for our next location (Zanzibar). It was also a good spot for a walking safari and a local village tour.

Accommodation - We stayed in a classic banda on the beach. The view was fantastic and falling asleep to the sounds of the sea was wonderful. The room itself was small and compact but perfectly adequate. It was well decorated and charming. The bathroom was spacious and had a warm shower. I would recommend getting ready/showering in the day light otherwise you'll need to take your torch in for some light! The walk between your room and the main facilities was a little dark so we took our room torch for this aswell. Whilst it is dark, we did feel very safe.

Food - sadly this was the lodge's main downfall. Another family we spoke to while they were staying there described it as grim and unfortunately we would have to agree. I understand the lodge recruits local people for all of the camps services. Whilst I feel this is good and very important, it simply wasn't good enough for the amount of money you are paying. The portions were very small and the quality very poor. A real shame.

Evening meals also were served far to quickly. At one point we hadn't finished our starters when our mains arrived at the table. We did ask staff to allow more time between meals but this never transpired.

Excursions - we were told we had one complementary excursion per day whilst we were staying there. We decided upon a walking safari, local village tour and a river safari. Of which we were told we then needed to pay $10 for a armed guide on the walking safari, $10 each for the local village tour (ok this does go to the village), and $20 each for the river safari. So as you can see these are hardly complementary. We did enjoy the excursions of course but felt as if they were a little misleading in the advertisement.

Overall at the Lodge - the lodge itself is ideally located and very beautiful. It has bags of potential which is frustrating to see. For us the evenings were the most worst. We arrived in advance of dinner for a cocktail of the day (which were very nice!) and a couple of drinks before dinner. The beautiful bar was silent and had zero atmosphere. This was such a shame. Dinner also followed by the same and served at full speed left us feeling disappointed.

The staff definitely make the lodge. They are very warm and friendly and add a lovely local vibe to it.

Overall our stay here was nice but not amazing and I didn't feel it was special enough for our honeymoon. We do however wish the lodge and its objectives the best of luck for the future.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank mubbles14
Saadani L, Manager at Saadani Safari Lodge, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Dear Madam,

Thank you for your feedback, we are delighted that you too see the potential of this beautiful Lodge.

In response to your comments on the Food, we have introduced several new members into our food and beverage team bringing in some much needed experience. We are already seeing a vast improvement in the quality of the food and service. We will certainly be paying close attention to our portion sizes, although we can’t bear to waste food in Tanzania there should always be plenty to eat and seconds available for those who would like it.

We have introduced some music to our beautiful bar this month and our bar manager seems to be growing in confidence which is really making a difference to the atmosphere of the place.

With regards to our excursions, we are very sorry to hear that you have been in some way mislead. The $20.00 River fee and $10.00 Ranger fee are both charges added for these activities by the national park authority. We have tried to ensure that all our guests have been made aware of these fees before booking at the lodge, we will re-clarify this with our business partners and on our own advertisements in the coming weeks. We would like to thank you for your donation for the village tour it will go directly into making improvements to the Saadani primary School next month.

We’re very pleased that you appreciate the “local vibe” that our wonderful team provide. It is only through developing local people that we will continue to protect and conserve this beautiful ecosystem. This is our goal, with patience and hard work I’m sure we can achieve it.

With thanks,

#3 of 7 in Saadani National Park
New Bagamoyo Beach Resort
New Bagamoyo Beach Resort
#9 of 17 in Bagamoyo

Been to Saadani Safari Lodge? Share your experiences!