See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed June 7, 2017

If you're looking to turn off from the rest of the world and relax in a relatively untouched slice of paradise, then My Casa Nativa is for you. It's actually part of hostel community called Paraiso Secreto which is a complex of 7 very colorful hostels on Isla Grande that are all unique from each other.

The 7 hostels on this property all share the bar, restaurant, pools, activities desk, and the very quiet, secluded, private beach. So private that you literally cannot get to it unless you are staying at one of the seven properties of Paraiso Secreto. I loved how private this beach was and really enjoyed the nightly bonfires the very friendly staff would put on each night as the sun disappeared beneath the horizon.

I especially loved My Casa Nativa for the warm and chilled out staff, and for the private rooms that they offer. Emir was such a lovely host and made sure we had everything we needed for a comfortable stay. Our room was a private queen room with shutter style windows complete with a mosquito net to protect you from all of the creatures. This is an eco hostel, so be prepared to come face to face with lots of bugs. They keep the windows and doors open 24/7 as to go with the laid back, island atmosphere. It's perfect for anyone wanting to get in touch with nature! Be warned that there is no power for most of the day, and although they offer wifi when the power is turned back on, it's a very weak signal - but why do you need electricity or wifi when you're in paradise?

We took advantage of the many activities that they offer, and booked in a morning snorkeling trip to the nearby coral reef. They charge COP 30,000 ($10) for a 2 hour snorkel trip with pickup straight from the private beach and includes the snorkel rental (of course). It was a highlight of my trip and would recommend it as a top activity while you are staying here.

Although a bit pricey (as everything is typically more expensive on an Island), the hostel has a bar and restaurant that you can order all sorts of delicious treats from. I ordered the waffle for breakfast and the fried fish for lunch and was very pleased with both meals.

Overall, my stay with My Casa Nativa was so relaxing and would highly recommend it to anyone looking to unplug from their busy lives and just take in that natural island setting. It really is a little slice of paradise.

Date of stay: May 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed September 7, 2016

Casa Nativa was the best choice for our holidays in the Rosario Islands, as the location is perfect in order to travel around the main island (Isla Grande) and the smaller ones nearby. The Eco-hostal "concept" made the experience more authentic, and we even got to meet the native people who live in the island. The room was very clean, tidy and comfortable, and the staff who run Casa Nativa were always reachable in case of needing anything. There were lots of friendly guests from all around the world, and we normally would hang out in the beach or while going out for the different activities offered by the staff, such as snorkelling, kayaking, walking at night to an enchanted lagoon and so on. I would definitely recommend staying at Casa Nativa and visiting the Rosario Islands. Also, don't forget to try the fresh lobster, it was amazing!

Room tip: Room with balcony, wide and comfortable, lovely balcony if you want to have some privacy
Date of stay: September 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2016 via mobile

This was one of my favorite parts of my trip. Not because of the hostel's grounds, but because of the experiences.

The hostel itself is very basic. No water or electricity during the day, only at night.

Fortunately for me, that meant being able to kayak, explore and beach hunt during the day. Because of it's close proximity to the hostels, it was easy to meet other travelers.

One unforgettable part of the trip was after dinner, the chef picked up a guitar and just started jamming out with everyone. Experiences like that are something you'll never forget.

Date of stay: May 2016
Reviewed February 4, 2016

Before I went to Casa Nativa Isla, I had been visiting quite a few beautiful places and great hostels in the Dominican Republic, so I might have been spoiled, but read this:

Casa Nativa Isla (Paraíso Secreto) on Isla Grande was recommended to us by our hostel in Cartagena, Casa Nativa. In that hostel I already felt like the owners didn't really care, so I was wondering whether Casa Nativa Isla would be the same. I was wrong: It was so much worse!
Let's start with the kitchen: we were told that it would not be a problem at all to cook there. The reality: there wasn't even a gas bottle for the gas stove, no soap and nothing to wash dishes with. Last but not least: there was NO REFRIGERATOR! In the evening we started to understand why: This place does not have electricity before around 7 pm, when it gets dark, sometimes a bit earlier, appr. 6:30 pm. The electricity is shut down at some point in the early morning. Is that the reason why they call it eco? Anyway, the rubbish was not being separated.
I needed to keep my food and medicine cool, so I ended up asking the bar man for help. He was friendly and offered to store my stuff in the storage room freezer. The next day I came back to him to ask for my medicine. He cycled to the storage room. I followed him running as I didn't want all of my stuff, just the medicine for today and my breakfast. When I reached the storage room he told me I would only be able to get things from the freezer once a day and I was not allowed to stand inside the storage room. There was absolutely no reason for this stupid rule. I had to unpack my fridge bag outside on the floor. This is not how you make your guests feel welcome.
The receptionist had been friendly and had told me that I could use the kitchen in one of the other houses if ours wasn't working (obviously a known problem). We later found out that the other buildings were actually different hostels and had different owners. That explains why in one of the houses I didn't really feel welcome. My roommates had a similar experience in another house. The only really good experience I had was in one of the houses called "Galeria" with a really friendly host and a good kitchen with everything you really need. Except for a fridge, of course. Surprisingly, a dorm bed in that nice house had the same price as a dorm bed in our rundown hostel: 50.000 pesos.
Furthermore, there was a swimming pool for all of the hostels, but it was really dirty. They didn't even try to clean it. Not only the swimming pool was dirty. The whole place wasn't cared for. They could have grown some mawn or something that looks nice like flowers, but there was only cement and dirt.
Back to Casa Nativa Isla: The whole house was so run down. You were not allowed to step on the terrace because it was falling apart. One of the dorms did not have a door. The door of the bathroom downstairs was unlockable.
In our dorm upstairs there was an air-con but it did not work. In my corner of the dorm there was absolutely no wind coming in, so I was completely wet from sweat all night long. Our bathroom was smelly.
In Cartagena in the Casa Nativa hostel we were told that there would be vegetarian food in the restaurant. There wasn't. When my roommate asked they just said: No. They didn't even try to make any. Breakfast is only available if you order it in the evening.
What's more: The whole island was dilapidated and dirty with a lot of abandoned hotels and rubbish in the nature. Plus: there are no beaches you could walk to, and you can not walk along the water. The nature was quite dry, while the air was hot and sticky, more than in Cartagena.
Yes, the hostel has as advertised a tiny private beach. But the water is not clear and you need sandals to go into the water if you have sensitive feet because of the corals. Anyway, despite the terrible heat and humidity the beach did not animate me to swim. Sorry, but I have seen REAL beaches before.
It is also difficult to leave the island, because sometimes the boats do not go.

50.000 pesos for a night! Too much for this place!

To sum up, I can in no way recommend going to Casa Nativa Isla.

Now, what were the good things?
- the water around the island is really blue and clear
- the architecture of the hostel was nice
- the receptionist was friendly

Room tip: If you really want to go there, you better choose the Galeria or Cali hostel.
Date of stay: January 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed February 1, 2016

I needed to keep my food and medicine cool, so I ended up asking the bar man for help. He was friendly and offered to store my stuff in the storage room freezer. The next day I came back to him to ask for my medicine. He cycled to the storage room. I followed him running as I didn't want all of my stuff, just the medicine for today and my breakfast. When I reached the storage room he told me I would only be able get things from the freezer once a day and I was not allowed to stand inside. There was absolutely no reason for this stupid rule. I had to unpack my fridge bag outside on the floor. This is not how you make your guests feel welcome.
The receptionist had been friendly and told me that I could use the kitchen in one of the other houses. We later found out that they are actually different hostels and have different owners. That explains why in one of the houses I didn't really feel welcome. My roommates had a similar experience in another house. The only really good experience I had was in one of the houses called "Galeria" with a really friendly host and a good kitchen with everything you really need. Except for a fridge, of course. Surprisingly, a dorm bed in that nice house had the same price as a dorm bed in our rundown hostel: 50.000 pesos.
What's more: The whole island was dilapidated and dirty with a lot of abandoned hotels and rubbish in the nature. Plus: there are no beaches you could walk to, and you can not walk along the water. The nature was quite dry.
Yes, the hostel has as advertised a tin private beach. But the water is not clear and you need sandals to go into the water if you have sensitive feet because of the corals. Anyway, despite the terrible heat and humidity the beach did not animate me to swim. Sorry, but I have seen REAL beaches before.
To sum up, I can in no way recommend going to Casa Nativa Isla.

Now, what were the good things?
- the water around the island is really blue and clear