“Beautiful accommodation close to heaven on earth”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Lake Tekapo
Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

It was our second time staying at Peppers. Great location, great design, love the comfort of the larger rooms/suites. Fully equipped kitchen, open fire, outstanding views. Easy access, easy parking, close to the hot springs. Best of all: heated bathroom floors. Overall a fantastic place and well worth the money, especially if you can share one of the larger units. But: Internet rates - like in so many other New Zealand places - are absolutely ridiculously overpriced. And the units are missing a second bathroom outside of the master bathroom. Room service quality of food was very average. There is better places in town to get good food.

• Stayed: August 2013
andrewmfreak, General Manager at Peppers Bluewater Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Kia ora m_tina02,

Thank you for your lovely review. We are really happy to hear that you enjoyed so many aspects of our resort, and specifically that you loved your apartment. I am of course disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your room service, but I would absolutely recommend Rakinui Restaurant as one of the best places to dine in town. We have good honest, locally inspired menu options that pay homage to the farmers and producers around us.

We hope to see you again, and hopefully we get the chance to redeem ourselves from a dining point of view.

Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

I found my stay here to be a regret! It was unclean and the service was terrible. My room was noticeably dirty! And as a carpenter it didnt have a nice finish to the room. Tried using their restaurant and was greeted by bored uninterested staff. All questions regarding the restaurant were greeted by rude comments. Absolutely disgusted!!!!!!!!!!!!! Would pay to sleep in gutter I left this hotel after first night. I spent my second night at tekapo scenic good place. Dont stay at peppers waste of money!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank podgebuilder

Kia ora podgebuilder,

Thank you for your recent review of our property.

I regret that you did not have a better experience with us, and I would encourage you to contact me via andrew.freak@peppers.co.nz so I can better understand and address our shortcomings in service.

Many thanks,

Reviewed August 12, 2013

How do you stuff up a resort in a place with such amazing natural beauty? Arrived after 3pm and was surprised to have to wait while the person at reception checked to see if our room was ready. Sorry, what? What is even more surprising is that we actually had housekeeping knock on our door the next morning at 10:06am to see if we had left yet. We were all packed up and on our way out but that is absolutely beside the point. I have never, ever had that happen in any of the dozens of hotels I have stayed in. EVER. So the service is not what I would call a highlight. But this was not the only issue we experienced, unfortunately. 1). I tripped over the vacuum cleaner which was left in our unit when I first opened our room door; 2). The fridge was not turned on OR plugged in and we worked out why once we managed to pull the bloody thing out, plug it in and then push it back in. The fridge is the wrong size for the cabinet and the door does not close when it is plugged in. For a resort of this apparent rating this is extremely poor. So rather than replace the fridge with a smaller model that fits (radical, I know) they just don't turn it on?? Wow; 3). The TV was tiny. I'm talking a Toshiba PC screen from the 1990's small. Like maybe 30cm x 30cm. And very limited channels. I know you don't go on holidays to watch TV but for this price I fully expect at least a modern wide screen TV and a variety of channels to choose from. And a working fridge. And maybe a dancing monkey.
Overall the service was crap, the room was tiny but comfortable enough apart from the fridge and TV issues. The bathroom was generally good although the toilet was constantly running and very noisy to the point that we had to close the door to get to sleep. So make that point # 4 in my list of complaints. I would not recommend this place. By all means visit Lake Tekapo as it is charming and beautiful. Just don't believe the Peppers hype and stay somewhere else. I am not one to complain normally (my reviews are usually quite glowing unless you try and murder me in my sleep) but the issues with the room combined with the crappy service deserves a pasting. I did not feel like a welcome guest here.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. But if you do take the plunge, pay the extra for a lakeview room. Otherwise you...
1  Thank GoNQCowboys
andrewmfreak, General Manager at Peppers Bluewater Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Kia ora GoNQCowboys,

Thank you for your recent review of our property.
We are disappointed that we did not have your room ready upon arrival, and apologise for the inconvenience we have caused.

Our housekeeping department would not normally knock on your door on the day of departure, until notified that you had checked out. There was clearly a communiation breakdown in this instance. We regret this occurred.

I will need to further investigate the other aspects of your feedback, but certainly this is not what you should expect from a property of our standard.

We have made a number of significant changes based upon your review, and can assure you that this will not happen again.
Please accept our humble apologies.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

- Noone to answer the phone at the reception
- Nobody comes to change a broken bulb in the bedroom when it has been asked several times
- When we're back in our room at 4.30pm, the room is still not cleaned, so we asked that next time the room is cleaned between 1pm and 2.30pm as I'm pregnant and I want to have some rest in the morning.
- The next day, they come to clean the room at 10am (not between 1pm- 2.30pm) as requested!
When my husband is outside to shop, calls the reception, to get our room and to talk to me, the receptionist asks him a lot of questions ( who are you, why are you calling etc) and is reluctant to transfer the call to the room, my husband has to justify himself ("I m x and I want to talk to my wife...")
- when we check in at 2pm, not room is available yet, no room has been cleaned yet. So after x hours of travelling, we have to wait for a room to be cleaned.
- at the reception, they don't want to call and book for us a restaurant in the village (which is something that hotels usually do all the time).
- early in the morning, the fire alarm starts into my room saying i must evacuate immediatly. I was pregnant, low mobility and still sleeping, it was very cold outside. I put my coat and I evacuated as soon as possible and when i arrived at the reception asking what's happening, the receptionist told me in a very relaxed way that when they took their shower, the neighboors did steam and the fire alarm started. The fire alarm just happened in their room and in my room and no need to evacuate at all!! Why he didn't call me to tell me it was no need to evacuate??
- etc etc, i could write 10 more examples, i won't but i just not recommend to go to this hotel!

Kia ora Luit S,

Thank you for your feedback regarding a number of areas of concerns from your recent stay with us. We have sincerely dropped the ball in a variety of service areas, and this is not acceptable. We regret and apologise for causing you such inconvenience. Peppers Bluewater Resort is a wonderful property, in a magical location but without attentive service these aspects count for nothing.

We have taken the liberty of reviewing your feedback in detail, and ensuring we are providing the level of training to our team members so that they can shine in their roles. We make no excuse for the fact that this is not up to our normal standard, and we will leave no stone unturned in getting back on track.

It would be wonderful if you could return one day, and allow us to better showcase what Peppers Bluewater Resort is typically all about.

Best wishes,

General Manger

Reviewed August 9, 2013

We were very excited about staying here until we arrived, checked in and went to our room to find it wasn't ready. The room was extremely small and hotel is expensive. We had no sleep for the 2 nights we stayed due to noise , our room wasn't serviced and when we asked about this were told that guested had to request rooms to be made up.
On our departure we were up early and tripped over a large bag of clean linen dumped at the door early in the morning, lucky not to break a leg!
When we requested a receipt we were told that it would be emailed.
Other places close by offer better service and views for a much cheaper price, its evident that this hotel focuses on one particular market, they say they only employ locals.......laughable!

Kia ora terry246,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us.
Please accept my sincere apologies that your room was not ready on arrival. This is not acceptable, or in-keeping with what Peppers Bluewater Resort is all about.
We have since resolved the issues that plagued us on this occasion, and can assure that our service standards are yet again at the high level we are typically reknowned for.

I can assure you that despite varied ethnicity, the majority of our team are indeed NZ residents. The team we have here are fantastic and hardworking, and our inability to provide better service on this occasion was through my inability to give them the necessary resources they required. This will absolutely no longer be an issue.

We are focussed on ensuring all guests are treated with the level of care they deserve, and being given the attention to detail that is aligned to our Peppers brand.

Again, please accept our sincere apologies.

Warm regards,

Reviewed August 8, 2013

I booked a room around a week and a half two weeks before arriving. A week left to go and I recieved an e-mail saying my card was not valid and to contact them to provide a new card, I thought this strange as I had been booking various other things at the time with the same card with no problem- its a visa that i use daily (and of course with money on it!) I sent them an email with the card info again and had no further reply from them. A day before i was due to arrive i noticed the money had not been taken out of my account so I called them. The guy on the phone said my booking was still there but they did not accept visa debit cards- very strange as every other hotel has taken this card without issue. I asked if i could pay when i got there- he said yes, I also said I was dissapointed that my e-mail had not been replied to as i did not know that there was an issue with using a visa debit. Later that evening the same guy called me back to say my booking was being cancelled due to me not providing a credit card. I asked why he had changed his mind to me paying when i got there from our conversation in the morning... he muttered some hesitant wasnt sure words and said i must provide a credit card. I do not own a credit card so this would be a problem. I asked to speak to his manger and was hung up on. A few moment later a person called who sounded exactly the same called saying he was the manager.... I was dissapointed I was not informed of them not accepting visa debit untill the day before i arrived, they said it is on the website, but i have yet to find it. So i was left with a day to go to book another room in Tekapo at another hotel who gladly took my money (from my visa debit) Whats worse is that then I was called again to inform me that because i had cancelled my booking (which i hadnt they had) i was to be charged 100 % of the room cost- make sence to you? didnt to me. The staff i spoke to seemed utterly incompetent. I have stayed at Peppers beach club in Port Douglas before (using my visa debit) and I cant believe its the same company. The staff really do make the place- and the staff are really letting this place down. I wouldnt reccomend anyone to even bother with them- cancel my booking then try to make me pay for it- dont think so!

Kia ora caolAsneddon,

We appreciate your feedback regarding our property, Peppers Bluewater Resort.
I am regretful of the circumstances you outline, and apologise that we could not have come to a better resolution.

For whatever reason, your card initially came through in error which prompted us to notify Booking.com. A modified booking then came through to us, with the same card details. Our particular terminals were unable to accept your debit card without a pin number. Regardless, I would like to have thought that we could be more understanding and flexible in these circumstances. There was certainly no reason for things to have escalated to the point where you felt more comfortabel staying elsewhere. That bitterly disappoints and embarrasses me.

I have taken the opportunity to speak with our front office department, and clarify what went wrong in this instance. I do agree that we let ourselves down in this instance, but I can assure you that we have a great team on reception, who will not make this mistake again.

Warm regards,

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Lake Tekapo is a spectacular lake nestled among amazing snow-capped peaks (we were there in winter) and near some popular ski areas. We chose this little town as a convenient stopping point on our drive between Kaikoura and Queenstown and were most pleased with that decision.

Because we booked at the last minute (and likley because of Pepper's very large capacity), this property was about our only lodging choice. We were pleasantly srelieved on arrival at the location, the quality of the rooms (you won't believe the bathrooms), and the beauty of the surroundings. The prices were high in comparison to our other stops in New Zealand, so we chose the lower-priced end of Pepper's selections. This meant that we were located at the rear of the property and on the lower floor, so our view was limited to the parking lot. On the positive side, we were able to park only a few feet from the very large sliding glass door that opened into our apartment. That made moving in/out a snap.

The room was modern and new; the bed was not...old style weak innersprings, but king-sized at least. Various amenities-teapot, small kitchenette-were great. And, the bathroom was luxurious…towel warmers, big shower. Our only complaint was the very noisy fan motor on the bathroom heater (would have kept the neighbors awake). Thankfully we didn’t need to use it.

The little village of Lake Tekapo, only minutes away from Pepper’s, has a good number of eateries, including sandwich shops, fish and chips places, pizza, and the like. We were in the mood for something more substantial, so we tried the restaurant at Pepper’s. Like the hotel, the restaurant prices were high end, but the food was not spectacular, yet we enjoyed our meal. The rack of lamb was the best item of the evening. Hindsight would suggest that we could have found an adequate, more resonably priced meal in the town had we tried.

The grounds were beautiful and the staff was accommodating and pleasant. Given the chance, we likely would stay at Pepper’s again especially if we were on a ski vacation with a large party of people. Pepper's seemed just the right sort of place for that.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Kia ora wmay,

Many thanks to you for such an expansive review of Peppers Bluewater Resort.
We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your room so much, and particularly loved the bathrooms.
Our rooms are varied, and due to the design are spread across our property. There are great rooms all over the site, but certainly if you are looking for a room down on the roadside you would need to book a lake view apartment.
We understand that our beds are not for everyone, and we do have a replacement program in place which will see Peppers Bluewater Resort offering an absolutely top notch sleep experience.

We cannot thank you enough for your review, and we very much look forward to seeing you again in the future.