“Terrible service”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Lake Tekapo
Sydney
“Terrible service”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

- Noone to answer the phone at the reception
- Nobody comes to change a broken bulb in the bedroom when it has been asked several times
- When we're back in our room at 4.30pm, the room is still not cleaned, so we asked that next time the room is cleaned between 1pm and 2.30pm as I'm pregnant and I want to have some rest in the morning.
- The next day, they come to clean the room at 10am (not between 1pm- 2.30pm) as requested!
When my husband is outside to shop, calls the reception, to get our room and to talk to me, the receptionist asks him a lot of questions ( who are you, why are you calling etc) and is reluctant to transfer the call to the room, my husband has to justify himself ("I m x and I want to talk to my wife...")
- when we check in at 2pm, not room is available yet, no room has been cleaned yet. So after x hours of travelling, we have to wait for a room to be cleaned.
- at the reception, they don't want to call and book for us a restaurant in the village (which is something that hotels usually do all the time).
- early in the morning, the fire alarm starts into my room saying i must evacuate immediatly. I was pregnant, low mobility and still sleeping, it was very cold outside. I put my coat and I evacuated as soon as possible and when i arrived at the reception asking what's happening, the receptionist told me in a very relaxed way that when they took their shower, the neighboors did steam and the fire alarm started. The fire alarm just happened in their room and in my room and no need to evacuate at all!! Why he didn't call me to tell me it was no need to evacuate??
- etc etc, i could write 10 more examples, i won't but i just not recommend to go to this hotel!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
andrewmfreak, General Manager at Peppers Bluewater Resort, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Kia ora Luit S,

Thank you for your feedback regarding a number of areas of concerns from your recent stay with us. We have sincerely dropped the ball in a variety of service areas, and this is not acceptable. We regret and apologise for causing you such inconvenience. Peppers Bluewater Resort is a wonderful property, in a magical location but without attentive service these aspects count for nothing.

We have taken the liberty of reviewing your feedback in detail, and ensuring we are providing the level of training to our team members so that they can shine in their roles. We make no excuse for the fact that this is not up to our normal standard, and we will leave no stone unturned in getting back on track.

It would be wonderful if you could return one day, and allow us to better showcase what Peppers Bluewater Resort is typically all about.

Best wishes,

General Manger
Peppers Bluewater Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (387)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We were very excited about staying here until we arrived, checked in and went to our room to find it wasn't ready. The room was extremely small and hotel is expensive. We had no sleep for the 2 nights we stayed due to noise , our room wasn't serviced and when we asked about this were told that guested had to request rooms to be made up.
On our departure we were up early and tripped over a large bag of clean linen dumped at the door early in the morning, lucky not to break a leg!
When we requested a receipt we were told that it would be emailed.
Other places close by offer better service and views for a much cheaper price, its evident that this hotel focuses on one particular market, they say they only employ locals.......laughable!

Kia ora terry246,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us.
Please accept my sincere apologies that your room was not ready on arrival. This is not acceptable, or in-keeping with what Peppers Bluewater Resort is all about.
We have since resolved the issues that plagued us on this occasion, and can assure that our service standards are yet again at the high level we are typically reknowned for.

I can assure you that despite varied ethnicity, the majority of our team are indeed NZ residents. The team we have here are fantastic and hardworking, and our inability to provide better service on this occasion was through my inability to give them the necessary resources they required. This will absolutely no longer be an issue.

We are focussed on ensuring all guests are treated with the level of care they deserve, and being given the attention to detail that is aligned to our Peppers brand.

Again, please accept our sincere apologies.

Warm regards,

Travelers are raving about these Lake Tekapo hotels

Wanaka, New Zealand
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I booked a room around a week and a half two weeks before arriving. A week left to go and I recieved an e-mail saying my card was not valid and to contact them to provide a new card, I thought this strange as I had been booking various other things at the time with the same card with no problem- its a visa that i use daily (and of course with money on it!) I sent them an email with the card info again and had no further reply from them. A day before i was due to arrive i noticed the money had not been taken out of my account so I called them. The guy on the phone said my booking was still there but they did not accept visa debit cards- very strange as every other hotel has taken this card without issue. I asked if i could pay when i got there- he said yes, I also said I was dissapointed that my e-mail had not been replied to as i did not know that there was an issue with using a visa debit. Later that evening the same guy called me back to say my booking was being cancelled due to me not providing a credit card. I asked why he had changed his mind to me paying when i got there from our conversation in the morning... he muttered some hesitant wasnt sure words and said i must provide a credit card. I do not own a credit card so this would be a problem. I asked to speak to his manger and was hung up on. A few moment later a person called who sounded exactly the same called saying he was the manager.... I was dissapointed I was not informed of them not accepting visa debit untill the day before i arrived, they said it is on the website, but i have yet to find it. So i was left with a day to go to book another room in Tekapo at another hotel who gladly took my money (from my visa debit) Whats worse is that then I was called again to inform me that because i had cancelled my booking (which i hadnt they had) i was to be charged 100 % of the room cost- make sence to you? didnt to me. The staff i spoke to seemed utterly incompetent. I have stayed at Peppers beach club in Port Douglas before (using my visa debit) and I cant believe its the same company. The staff really do make the place- and the staff are really letting this place down. I wouldnt reccomend anyone to even bother with them- cancel my booking then try to make me pay for it- dont think so!

Kia ora caolAsneddon,

We appreciate your feedback regarding our property, Peppers Bluewater Resort.
I am regretful of the circumstances you outline, and apologise that we could not have come to a better resolution.

For whatever reason, your card initially came through in error which prompted us to notify Booking.com. A modified booking then came through to us, with the same card details. Our particular terminals were unable to accept your debit card without a pin number. Regardless, I would like to have thought that we could be more understanding and flexible in these circumstances. There was certainly no reason for things to have escalated to the point where you felt more comfortabel staying elsewhere. That bitterly disappoints and embarrasses me.

I have taken the opportunity to speak with our front office department, and clarify what went wrong in this instance. I do agree that we let ourselves down in this instance, but I can assure you that we have a great team on reception, who will not make this mistake again.

Warm regards,

Waco
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Lake Tekapo is a spectacular lake nestled among amazing snow-capped peaks (we were there in winter) and near some popular ski areas. We chose this little town as a convenient stopping point on our drive between Kaikoura and Queenstown and were most pleased with that decision.

Because we booked at the last minute (and likley because of Pepper's very large capacity), this property was about our only lodging choice. We were pleasantly srelieved on arrival at the location, the quality of the rooms (you won't believe the bathrooms), and the beauty of the surroundings. The prices were high in comparison to our other stops in New Zealand, so we chose the lower-priced end of Pepper's selections. This meant that we were located at the rear of the property and on the lower floor, so our view was limited to the parking lot. On the positive side, we were able to park only a few feet from the very large sliding glass door that opened into our apartment. That made moving in/out a snap.

The room was modern and new; the bed was not...old style weak innersprings, but king-sized at least. Various amenities-teapot, small kitchenette-were great. And, the bathroom was luxurious…towel warmers, big shower. Our only complaint was the very noisy fan motor on the bathroom heater (would have kept the neighbors awake). Thankfully we didn’t need to use it.

The little village of Lake Tekapo, only minutes away from Pepper’s, has a good number of eateries, including sandwich shops, fish and chips places, pizza, and the like. We were in the mood for something more substantial, so we tried the restaurant at Pepper’s. Like the hotel, the restaurant prices were high end, but the food was not spectacular, yet we enjoyed our meal. The rack of lamb was the best item of the evening. Hindsight would suggest that we could have found an adequate, more resonably priced meal in the town had we tried.

The grounds were beautiful and the staff was accommodating and pleasant. Given the chance, we likely would stay at Pepper’s again especially if we were on a ski vacation with a large party of people. Pepper's seemed just the right sort of place for that.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Kia ora wmay,

Many thanks to you for such an expansive review of Peppers Bluewater Resort.
We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your room so much, and particularly loved the bathrooms.
Our rooms are varied, and due to the design are spread across our property. There are great rooms all over the site, but certainly if you are looking for a room down on the roadside you would need to book a lake view apartment.
We understand that our beds are not for everyone, and we do have a replacement program in place which will see Peppers Bluewater Resort offering an absolutely top notch sleep experience.

We cannot thank you enough for your review, and we very much look forward to seeing you again in the future.

With thanks,

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Peppers motto 'we're all about you' REALLY! We arrived at 2pm on 3/8 and were told the last bed was being changed and would be 20min, 3 hours later we were still in reception waiting. This was not isolated just to our reservation either. We were repetitively lied to by staff, management should be appalled. Such a beautiful part of NZ shame we had to spend it in your reception.

• Stayed August 2013
Kia ora Adamg85,

We understand your comments regarding your recent stay, and sincerely regret and apologise that this occurred. You rightfully were entitled to a memorable experience with us, and unfortunately we did not leave you with the kind of memory that we were hoping for. Our shortage of staff on this particular day was not acceptable, and resulted in you not being able to access your room on time.
We are regretful that this occurred, and further that you were not given the appropriate information at the time. I certainly am appalled and embarrassed, as I should be for letting you down as a valued guest.

Consequently, a number of areas have been swiftly addressed which will ensure Peppers Bluewater Resort is rightfully associated with the incredible service that we more typically provide. We would welcome the opportunity for you to return and for our team to restore your rightful confidence in the Peppers brand.

Regards,

Queensland, Australia
Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

First off, upon our arrival at 14:00 we were told we would have to wait 20-25 minutes as the cleaners were in our allocated room. After waiting and going back to Reception we were told again it would be another half an hour until we could get into our room. We made our way down the road to look at the town and after 40 minutes we returned and, told it would be another 30 minutes before our room would be ready. After 2.5 hours waiting we were finally able to get into our room!
Walking down to our room, the overflowing rubbish bags from the previous guests and dirty linen bags were sitting right beside the front door, along with all the other rooms either side and behind ours, some of the linen and rubbish bags were still outside rooms on our way down to dinner and to breakfast the next morning.
It is just so sad that firstly our group and over four other couples were blatantly lied to numerous times in one afternoon. Then when I asked to talk to the manager after waiting for the first hour and then told they were not available this made it even worse! None of the staff knew what to do or who to go to, mumbling between themselves trying to give us answers for over 2 hours was just disgusting!
Some serious changes need to be made to the operations of this establishment. Peppers, you have certainly lost future potential customers.

• Stayed August 2013
Kia ora Nasey73,

Thank you for providing comments about your recent stay with us.
It is obviously deeply disappointing that you did not experience the level of service you were entitled to, and we understand your dissatisfaction in this. We absolutely wholeheartedly apologise for letting you down.

Further, I regret that your concerns were not raised to me at the time and that I did not have the opportunity to speak with you. There were clearly a number of issues that should have been better handled, as this simply did not occur. Your review and assessment of your stay has certainly been raised with our management team as a whole. We take full responsibility for letting you down, and a number of dramatic changes have been implemented as a result.

We are absolutely confident that these issues will not happen again, and we have responded in kind. I would certainly encourage you to contact me directly at: andrew.freak@peppers.co.nz
I would like the opportunity to express our regret directly to you, and to give you confidence that these aspects will not happen again at our property. Peppers Bluewater Resort is committed and driven to giving our guests the wonderful experience that is typical of the Peppers brand.

Best wishes,

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We recently stayed at Peppers Bluewater Resort Tekapo and really enjoyed our stay. The rooms were very clean andcomfortable. Beautiful view of the lake and excellent proximity to the hot pools down the road.

Service at reception was pretty slow to book in but the restaurant service was top notch and our buffet breakfast in the morning was excellent. The food was of a very high standard.

We were a little disappointed when we turned up late afternoon that the dirty laundry bag was still in front of the apartment door and we had to walk through the empty beer bottles that the people before us had left behind.

Room Tip: We were in a 3 bedroom lake view villa which was very comfortable and had the lounge and kitchen ups...