“If Good Food is Your Priority - Eat Here!”
Review of Kohan Restaurant

Kohan Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 14 Restaurants in Lake Tekapo
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Scenic view, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“If Good Food is Your Priority - Eat Here!”
Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant was such a great find in such a little town! Granted this is not a cosy romantic intimate restaurant, there are lots of people & tourist groups but the food is fresh and tasty and the staff are very hospitable. Good value for money, we would happily recommend and will certainly be back!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
“Bloody tasty meal, we went two nights!”
Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

We just loved everything we had- soup, the Bento box, sushi, sashimi, the amazing looking and tasting desserts, but mostly I wish a place near me did those amazing stir fry veges. Great balance of flavours, and not too well cooked, just slightly crunchy the way I like them (but not undercooked).

It's true that its not exactly an intimate couples kind of place but that is pretty obvious from the setup when you walk in. You cn see the big tables set up for groups, but with so may your groups visiting lake Tekapo it's not a surprise to see that the restaurant accommodates their needs. They must get a lot of first time Japanese eaters as they asked us if we were on eating raw fish and explained miso soup is frank from the bowl in Japan.

Wish I could go there every month. Value was better in some menu items than others.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
“More suited to large tour groups”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Despite the positive reviews on this site, we feel obliged to write this review in the interests of couples especially, as this is a venue suited to large parties. It is a huge, barn-like room with no smaller areas partitioned off, so the noise and crowds tend to overwhelm. Kids were running around, trolleys were up and down the aisles clearing tables regularly, so for us there was no ambience and considerable disruption, despite our being on the edge of the room and not the middle.
Although the food was well cooked, we didn't think the serving sizes were adequate and the dishes ordinary, showing no creativity or flair that other Japanese restaurants we have dined in have.
The positives were the view over the historic church and lake and the very friendly, gracious and courteous service this dining establishment can be proud of.

London, United Kingdom
“Lovely food and lots of gluten free options too.”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We really enjoyed our meal at Kohan, recommended to us by our B&B hosts. Initially we'd been sat in the middle of the room, but when a front table, with a window became available we were offered to be moved there, which we accepted. The only problem we had was that this window table was in the corner of the room, and for a while it was hard to get someone's attention to get service. Other than that, it was great.

We enjoyed a very filling meal of sashimi, gluten free tempura blue cod and vegetables (with gluten free soy sauce), edamame, rice, miso soup, a pork dish, drinks and dessert for $117.

The desserts looked fantastic, but we're not massive dessert people, so didn't enjoy eating them as much as we did looking at them. I particularly appreciated that I could have tempura done with gluten free batter. If we're in the area again, I would definitely go back.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Gemma G
Wellington, New Zealand
“A must try in lake tekapo”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

This is the most resterant I always heard from backpackers who stayed in lake tekapo. Thus, the first thing I did after settling down in hostel was to find this well known resterant. It's right in front of the square car park.

I had a susimi lunch, which contains three types of fresh fishes, salmon, hoki and some I don't know the name with prawns. Second plate was some pickles, beans and fried salmon. Rice and soup are included.

I love Japanese food. Never let me down. Neither kohan does. I recommended to everyone I ever come across like other backpackers. I have to visit again for sushi.