“Not your usual backpackers”

Tailor Made Tekapo Backpackers Hostel
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 18, 2012

Overall, my family and I were very impressed by our one night stay at Tailor-Made-Tekapo.
Unlike many other backpackers, you can be over 30 and not feel out of place. We were a group of four, the oldest in her 50's and the youngest, a four year old, and the accommodation was well suited for all of us.
We had a double ensuite and a twin ensuite which were located next to each other and both opened up onto a lovely outdoor area with picnic tables and a sandpit for kids.
The kitchen was well-resourced, the living space had magazines and children's toys which kept us all entertained, and the outdoor areas were well kept.
lt was located on a nice, quiet street, use of the laundry was cheap, and service was friendly and helpful.
Best of all, however, is that I think these backpackers provided great value for money. At less than $80 for an ensuite room, you get as much comfort as you would expect in mid-range accommodation that costs $40-$50 more per night.
On the downside, the beds were okay, but a little bit softer than what I like, and there were quite a few mosquitoes in the area. We didn't shut up our room properly at dusk, and when we came back from cooking tea, quite a few mozzies had flown in the bathroom window. A few smacks with a rolled up magazine killed them all, but the spots on the ceiling and walls suggested that a lot of guests had to do the same thing. I think had the backpackers supplied a can of fly/bug spray in each room so you could give a quick spray around before bed, I would have given the place 5 stars.

In saying all this, I would definitely stay at this backpackers again if I was in the area.

Tip: Tailor-Made-Backpackers uses IAC internet just like many other backpackers and holiday parks in the South Island. Before travelling, check out the IAC website to see how many of your other accommodation options use IAC also. Buying a wifi package for your whole trip could work out quite a bit cheaper than paying for it day by day.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank OskarNZ

Reviewed April 18, 2012

we had the whole room to ourselves, love comfortable bed in the room with pretty garden just right outside the window. kitchen is also big and clean with the heater to keep us warm. definely recommended!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 9, 2012

friendly, clean. no frills. We enjoyed our stay very much.

Reviewed April 9, 2012

This place was great, we had our own room which actually had a double and single bed in so it was huge! loads of space! We had a big window which was lovely. After seeing the other hostels in tekapo i was so glad we stayed here loved every minute of it. The kitchen is plenty big enough and clean! Didn't hear any noise at night it was so peaceful in the morning! Definately go star gazing even just lying in the hostel's garden was fab.

Reviewed April 3, 2012

No doubt I love Tekapo very much due to the amazing lake view but Tailor-Made-Tekapo Backpackers did a great job in my visit. I just can't forget how comfortable the bed was. After a long journey from North Island, I gained an extremely sweet dream in Tailor-Made. The soft and warm bed helped to release my tiredness successfully while the quite and nice atmosphere made me just like at home. I wish I could visit Tekapo again and for sure, Tailor-Made will be my choice again!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank sannychea
Reviewed March 30, 2012

We like this place for it cosy personal feel. Michael was very nice and helpful, and showed us to where we needed instead of just pointing us to the right direction.

The beds are fully made up, very comfortable - no bunk beds! - and very warm. Took the bed right by the window so that I could do a little star gazing as I drift off to sleep.

Unfortunately, the 4-beds shared room we chose was in the main building where the reception and the kitchen are. This means that you're awaken early in the morning by the chatter of people going about making breakfast, and the strong smell of food in your nose. Also if the people staying there happen to be less considerate, there will be a lot of door slamming as they go in and out of the building. Not too bad if you planned on an early start, but a bit torturous if you wanted to sleep in a little before checking out.

If you're taking a private ensuite room, do ask for one that's not in the main building so you can enjoy a little peace and privacy. As far as I can tell, only one private ensuite room is in the main building, and the rest are in the surrounding units.

The shared bathrooms are very clean. However, the water pressure is rather weak, and the water doesn't get really warm. I took my shower in the evening and it was quite cold. I overheard the other couple talking about how their showers were really cold when they took it in the morning. This is probably the only issue we encountered.

We used the laundry services out by the laundry hut. It cost only 2 NZD each for the washer and dryer. We did not use the kitchen, but many of the other guests did. The kitchen was cleaned in the afternoon when everyone was out, and seems to be very well maintained throughout.

There are 2 computers that you could use to get online. 1NZD for 10 minutes, which you can pay for in 1 or 2 dollar coins. You could also buy the internet access time from the reception, or pay for wifi service instead.

There is a big spacious lounge to hang out and relax in the main building. There are also games and books that you could use. We browsed through the photo albums there, which gave a very nice insight to the history of the place.

The place is only 5 minutes walk from the lake, but it can get a little dark at night so maybe carry a torch if you're walking back late. It's lovely at night to sit in the garden and do some stargazing too if it's not too cold.

Room Tip: Stay away from the main building if you want to sleep in.
1  Thank mynthe
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Small and friendly hostel. Easy to use the kitchen, many tables and couches. Comfortable beds. Nice with the little information broschure in the room that gave a bit of history of the place, and some useful information. We didn't worry about a view from our room, as we do not see it when asleep anyway! Moreover, it is only 2min walk down to the lake! Plenty of showers and toilets.