“Godley Hotel for God Damn Awful”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of The Godley Hotel

The Godley Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Lake Tekapo
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Godley Hotel for God Damn Awful”
Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

Other than the location not a lot going for this place. Asked for and was confirmed with inter-connecting rooms as was travelling on my own with 3 children. Checked in and paid then found out rooms not inter-connecting. Went back to reception only to be told we don't have rooms like that. Make sure you take up the offer to inspect rooms prior. I turned the inspection down. After taking kids ice skating came back to room for hot showers only to find out that there is no water pressure and the showers are worse than a dribble. At least the rooms were warm.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Matthew A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Adelaide
Reviewed July 19, 2014

Very unfriendly check in. Not informative about Tekapo. Very different to every other check in around beautiful New Zealand. Freezing room. Exposed wires on electric blanket. Cracked, stained sink. Just
disgusting overall. Filthy carpet.
Avoid.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank mishybk

Travelers are raving about these Lake Tekapo hotels

Lincoln, New Zealand
Reviewed July 1, 2014

I was very aware of what previous reviews have stated about this hotel. However, when I came there along with my family (2kids and a husband), this hotel wasn't that bad at all. In fact, my kids were enjoyed their time and slept well all through the night. Yes, the decor is outdated but it wasn't a big problem. Yes, the sink got stains, but it was because previous irresponsible guests who smoked and dumped the cigars butt there. Overall, we've got a clean, nice, and quiet room

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank hesthi
Texas
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Okay, the outside looks shabby and the rooms are too -- worn carpet, furniture and curtains. But the rooms are quiet, most with great views of the lake (even though reception is right on the main road). Our room was clean, fresh and comfortable with a good bed. If you're picky about a few nicks on the dressers, worn spots on the carpet, a drip or two from a faucet, or you need 50 Sky channels or more than 40 gallons of hot water, you can surely find another place for twice the price. If you want to spend under $100 for a great view of the lake, bordering on the park, with free private hot tub, no noise but right on the highway, then here you go.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake-view room, at the budget room price.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Queenstown, New Zealand
Reviewed June 11, 2014

Lake Tekapo is my favorite spot in New Zealand. How the Godley Hotel exists in such a lovely spot is an abomination! I've always stayed at the Last Tekapo Scenic Resort in Tekapo in the past. But, this time I decided to change it up a bit and stay at the Godley. I checked in and the reception staff asked if I would like to see the room, and I said, "no, I'm not picky. I'm sure it will be fine," That was a mistake I grabbed by bags and opened the door to the room.......ughhhhh! Disgusting. Musty smell, old, worn out carpet, a saggy looking bed, tiny room with creaking floors that I was afraid I was about to crash down through to the first floor. Bathroom was a complete mess with leaking faucets and missing tiles and just looked dirty all the way around. I just stood there for a moment dumbfounded. I thought, well, I'll make the best of it......another moment later after still just standing there, I said, no, no, no!, I can't make this work. I'm disgusted, disappointed, and will be so unhappy depressed! So, I put my bags back in the car and walked down to see if the Scenic Resort had a room....with it being the Queen's Birthday weekend, I doubted it. If they didn't, I was going to keep on driving. I told them of my dilemma and if they had I room, I would go back and cancel the Godley room. Luckily, I got their last room. I told them, I don't know why I decided to stay somewhere else that time, but was so happy they had a room. So, I walked back to the Godley, and apologized, but said I was just not happy at all. The reception staff was miffed, which I could understand, but I just couldn't stay there. Even if they had offered a room for free, I think my skin would be crawling all night and I would still have to pass. They seriously need to start from scratch with this place. It could certainly add to the splendor of Tekapo, but in it's current state, it simply detracts from the experience.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
5 Thank India J
New Plymouth, Taranaki, New Zealand
Reviewed June 2, 2014

The view and the heater is all that this room had going for it. For $145 I expected alot more. Bed linen was stained, rubbish under beds, tv was terrible, had to hold onto shower handle so it didn't stop, terrible curtains, and had a message on back of door to say we had to limit hot water usage.

• Stayed May 2014
4 Thank Melissa B
Christchurch
Reviewed May 19, 2014

Rocked up at 9am on Wednesday 14th after checking rates online. Was aware the room I was booking was dated and this was described on wotif that i'd be getting an older room. Lake Tekapo isn't a cheap place to stay, so I thought for $90 I got a pretty good deal. Stayed in room 306 overlooking the pool, had a queen bed and single, small tv, heater, kettle and shower/bath/toilet. Spacious rooms, and while yes the furnishings are dated I found the room to be clean, warm (electric blankets rock!) and just what I needed to crash for the day. Appreciated the gentlemen on reception giving me a 9am check-in early too, offered me breakfast and was friendly / easy to deal with (especially when I work for the opposition in Tekapo haha!). All staff i encountered were friendly, and had a pleasant stay. Would return here. I think some people need to understand that you get what you pay for in the Hotel Industry. I've paid $90 to stay in hostels where i've had my own room and had to walk down the hallway to shared showers/toilets. For the price I paid to have multiple beds and an ensuite I was happy. I'd hope to see them do a refurb in the coming years as they have an awesome location, a bit of paint and new carpets/linen and fixtures would bring this hotel into the 2000's however.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo