“Nice Setting”

Lake Tekapo Cottages
Reviewed December 4, 2013

We stayed at the Lake Tekapo Cottages in Decemberm 2013 and enjoyed our stay. The cottages are nicely furnished and appear to have been recently remodelled. Steve, the owner, is very helpful and even loaned us a flashlight to use when we went to the Observatory for the night tour. The cottages are located about 500 meters from the Village (such as it is) and is in a beautiful setting.

We would stay here again!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Roger W

Reviewed November 14, 2013

We stayed there for a night during a two day trip to lake Tekapo. We checked in at around 3pm, the owners were very friendly and they also allowed us to view the cottage before we decided whether we want it or now. Since there were 3 of us, we stayed at Rowan cottage for the night, it was quite a nice little cottage with everything required. It was also very nice how there is a car park space just outside the cottage and I feel the location couldn't be better. The cottage was only about a hundred meters away from the good shepherd church and 5 mins walk away from town.
It was overall a very nice stay and the pricing wasn't too bad at $175 per night for three people.

Room Tip: Ask to view the cottage avaliable before deciding whether to stay or not ( if you don't book in...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Catherine T
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights at the O Neill cottage and i have to say it was beautiful. It had wonderful decor in and the cutlery and cooking utensils etc were great quality makes such a difference when cooking and eating. The place was quiet with your own private drive and a veranda to sit on and enjoy the sun set. Not quite a lake view but close and just 2 mins out of town by car. Really enjoyed the cottage and would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Arrana
Reviewed May 15, 2013

On arrival at the property at around 8:30pm with an internet booking my husband and I were told that they have double-booked and there was no cottage available. We were then offered a 3-bedroom holiday rental house a few minutes' drive away into town with no view of the Lake at all. The host then had the temerity to tell us that we won't be charged extra for having the whole house and the outdoor spa to ourselves. We paid AUD$125 (NZ$160) for the night even though we only used one room and had no interest in the spa! We had to chase a number of very large flies out of the house before settling in for the night and there was no soap or body wash provided either.
Maybe this will serve as a warning to other travelers to check and confirm your internet booking to avoid inconvenience and disappointment.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank lulswong
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We stayed there for one night on our way to Millbroke Resort at Arrowtown. We checked in quite late, 6ish, and the owner was superb friendly. We got checked in to the honeymoon suite and it was awesome. Sky was clear and we saw the Milky Way when we looked up - it's quite amazing when you can simply look up and see the Milky Way. We made our own dinner there and everything is okay.

Location is perfect and shephard chapel is just 100 meters away!!!

I'm still on my way to get used to the price here in New Zealand, we paid NZD170 for one night and I felt like it's a bit over priced, comparing to all my cottage stay in Europe. I'm not sure if Apr is a prime season, and if that's the case, the price is okay.

Room Tip: We had the honeymoon suite and it was very nice!!!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NilesHo
Reviewed April 16, 2013

we stayed in rowan cottage as part of an 8 day trip of the South Island with our 2yo toddler.

from the reviews, I hadn't expected too much of the property, however I have to admit that I was fairly disappointed when I first arrived especially considering I was paying $5nzd less for this place than the lovey clearbrook motel (Wanaka) where we'd stayed the night before.

however, given a little time I began to warm to the place and was relatively comfortable by the evening of our first day.

the great things are -
- the free Internet
- amazing shower
- good location about 5 minutes from the town centre & close to the church (stunning)
- travel cot (though I had to fold up a duvet to make it more comfortable for him to sleep)
- comfy bed

not so great -
- the sometimes very loud road noise coming in through the (closed) bedroom windows
- the second bedroom is right next to the living space and only has a curtain so must be quiet
- the lack of explanation we were given for turning on heating - it was ABSOLUTELY FREEZING the second night & when I told the lady at reception, she said why didn't you turn the heating on? To which I explained that we were never shown on arrival. when she asked why I didn't come & ask, I explained that it was 2am!

overall it was fine but I wish I hadn't paid as much when I think of where else we stayed for similar £.

that said, never my husband nor I were particularly taken with the town so that may not have helped! the lake was stunning b we were bored out of our trees! :-/

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We stayed in Tui Cottage for two nights, had everything we needed for our stopover visit. The host was lovely, giving us good advice on where to eat in town. The heat pump worked a treat on the frosty mornings and the bed, while the duvet cover was a little naf, was very comfortable. Surroundings were lovely and we even made friends with a local cat on the deck. Wireless internet was fantastic, esp with the spotty coverage we sometimes get in smaller nz towns.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple