WINNER WONDERLAND

“Good room and great view” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lake Tekapo Cottages

Lake Tekapo Cottages
Dunedin
“Good room and great view”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

We stayed there for a night during a two day trip to lake Tekapo. We checked in at around 3pm, the owners were very friendly and they also allowed us to view the cottage before we decided whether we want it or now. Since there were 3 of us, we stayed at Rowan cottage for the night, it was quite a nice little cottage with everything required. It was also very nice how there is a car park space just outside the cottage and I feel the location couldn't be better. The cottage was only about a hundred meters away from the good shepherd church and 5 mins walk away from town.
It was overall a very nice stay and the pricing wasn't too bad at $175 per night for three people.

Room Tip: Ask to view the cottage avaliable before deciding whether to stay or not ( if you don't book in...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Catherine T

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights at the O Neill cottage and i have to say it was beautiful. It had wonderful decor in and the cutlery and cooking utensils etc were great quality makes such a difference when cooking and eating. The place was quiet with your own private drive and a veranda to sit on and enjoy the sun set. Not quite a lake view but close and just 2 mins out of town by car. Really enjoyed the cottage and would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Arrana
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

On arrival at the property at around 8:30pm with an internet booking my husband and I were told that they have double-booked and there was no cottage available. We were then offered a 3-bedroom holiday rental house a few minutes' drive away into town with no view of the Lake at all. The host then had the temerity to tell us that we won't be charged extra for having the whole house and the outdoor spa to ourselves. We paid AUD$125 (NZ$160) for the night even though we only used one room and had no interest in the spa! We had to chase a number of very large flies out of the house before settling in for the night and there was no soap or body wash provided either.
Maybe this will serve as a warning to other travelers to check and confirm your internet booking to avoid inconvenience and disappointment.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank lulswong
Beijing, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

We stayed there for one night on our way to Millbroke Resort at Arrowtown. We checked in quite late, 6ish, and the owner was superb friendly. We got checked in to the honeymoon suite and it was awesome. Sky was clear and we saw the Milky Way when we looked up - it's quite amazing when you can simply look up and see the Milky Way. We made our own dinner there and everything is okay.

Location is perfect and shephard chapel is just 100 meters away!!!

I'm still on my way to get used to the price here in New Zealand, we paid NZD170 for one night and I felt like it's a bit over priced, comparing to all my cottage stay in Europe. I'm not sure if Apr is a prime season, and if that's the case, the price is okay.

Room Tip: We had the honeymoon suite and it was very nice!!!
1 Thank NilesHo
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

we stayed in rowan cottage as part of an 8 day trip of the South Island with our 2yo toddler.

from the reviews, I hadn't expected too much of the property, however I have to admit that I was fairly disappointed when I first arrived especially considering I was paying $5nzd less for this place than the lovey clearbrook motel (Wanaka) where we'd stayed the night before.

however, given a little time I began to warm to the place and was relatively comfortable by the evening of our first day.

the great things are -
- the free Internet
- amazing shower
- good location about 5 minutes from the town centre & close to the church (stunning)
- travel cot (though I had to fold up a duvet to make it more comfortable for him to sleep)
- comfy bed

not so great -
- the sometimes very loud road noise coming in through the (closed) bedroom windows
- the second bedroom is right next to the living space and only has a curtain so must be quiet
- the lack of explanation we were given for turning on heating - it was ABSOLUTELY FREEZING the second night & when I told the lady at reception, she said why didn't you turn the heating on? To which I explained that we were never shown on arrival. when she asked why I didn't come & ask, I explained that it was 2am!

overall it was fine but I wish I hadn't paid as much when I think of where else we stayed for similar £.

that said, never my husband nor I were particularly taken with the town so that may not have helped! the lake was stunning b we were bored out of our trees! :-/

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

We stayed in Tui Cottage for two nights, had everything we needed for our stopover visit. The host was lovely, giving us good advice on where to eat in town. The heat pump worked a treat on the frosty mornings and the bed, while the duvet cover was a little naf, was very comfortable. Surroundings were lovely and we even made friends with a local cat on the deck. Wireless internet was fantastic, esp with the spotty coverage we sometimes get in smaller nz towns.

christchurch
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

We are staying in Tui Cottage which is a studio cottage with a small kitchenette and bathroom. Shower is great. Good tv reception for hubby to watch the V8's. Nice view of mountains from the deck. Very quiet. Arrived in the evening and it wasnt a problem as owners live onsite. Very friendly. We didnt bring doggie this time but dogs are welcome and there is plenty of space for them outside and rabbits to run after. Bring tea, coffee and sugar if you want a hot beverage as it is not provided in studio but we did get a small bottle of milk on checkin. I dont intend to cook while on my mini-break but there is a microwave, jug and toaster if you want to make your own breakfast. According to the visitors book folk have been staying here since 2007 so there is a bit of wear and tear but if you want Peppers Resort then go stay there and pay their prices. This is a good value option especially for dog owners. Will definitely return in winter so hubby can go skiing.

1 Thank lucystarbuck