“Unusual, but tasty dining”

Mackenzies Cafe Bar Grill
Ranked #3 of 14 Restaurants in Lake Tekapo
Cuisines: European
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Sarasota, Florida
“Unusual, but tasty dining”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

This was the second time I ate at Mackenzie's. Both times the staff have been very pleasant and accommodating. The first time I tried the triple meat with lamb as one of my selections. I didn't like the lamb on a hot stone grill, so more recently I just went with chicken. This time my husband was with me, and it was his first experience with the 400 C stone. He laughed that they didn't need a chef, as we cooked it ourselves. You have to be careful with chicken, of course, but it is delicious and tender when you get the art down.

The location on the lake is beautiful, and we didn't find it more pricey than most NZ restaurants. We enjoyed the experience.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Cromwell, New Zealand
“Not happy!”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

We were at Mackenzie's about 4 months ago on our way through to Christchurch and felt that the place had slipped a bit since our previous visit. The restrooms were okay but nothing to dry your hands on and the food was..okay. We have just stopped off again and the food was still "just okay", the service about the same and well. the loos - you guys, there are 4 toilets - only one was working with queues of people and no one seems to care! Sorry, we're not coming back again - 3 strikes, you're out!

1 Thank MerryllL
Brisbane, Australia
“Love that stonegrill!”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

It can be a bit pricey depending on what you order but the food is amazing, it's located right on the lake, and it's open pretty much whenever you want it :) And let's be honest, get the stonegrill - it's amazing. There's a three-meat stonegrill sampler that's great, but the eye fillet one is also amazing.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Jon K
Takaka, New Zealand
“Terrible lunch-worst we have had in Tekapo”
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Had soup and teenager had cheese burger. Soup roll was probably out of a packet, soup was uninspiring. Burger looked terrible-I couldn't even bear to taste it. Meat didn't look like steak-suspect at minimum it was a frozen one from the supermarket. Lettuce was shrivelled and dry, cheese "tasted like Mcdonalds". Eat instead for lunch at No 31, or for dinner go to the Italian (not on Trip adviser yet) or Kohan. Do not go here.

1 Thank SusieatLigar
Sydney, Australia
“A gimmick and expensive”
Reviewed July 13, 2014

I highly do not recommend anyone to dine here. We paid more than $70 for just two mains a beer and a glass of wine for what really? Nothing! There was no cooking involved. The only thing that they had to do was throw a raw piece of steak on a hot stone and bring it out to you. You practically had to do the cooking yourself. The piece of meat was chewy and the chips that I received as my side were limp and cold. I had to make them crunchy by placing them on the hot stone myself. The dish lacked flavour and excitement. We will never come back here ever again.

Visited June 2014