“Great food with a view”

Mackenzies Cafe Bar Grill
Ranked #3 of 14 Restaurants in Lake Tekapo
Cuisines: European
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 25, 2014

My husband had the stone grill steak that you have to cook yourself on the hot stone and he rated it highly. I had fish of the day which was very tasty. Great place to sit outside with a beer and watch the sun go down over the lake.

There are newer reviews for Mackenzies Cafe Bar Grill

Reviewed April 24, 2014

Mackenzie's comes across as your typical kiwi pub type place, but the service and food is a step up from what I was expecting. The staff at the bar were friendly without being too casual or familiar and knew the menu items. I settled on the burger (kiwi style including an egg, beetroot and pineapple) and it was fantastic. Not fine dinning for sure, just a very well executed burger that exceeded my expectations. Yum!

Reviewed April 24, 2014

We ate at McKenzie's on the advice of our B&B hosts while we were in Lake Tekapo. We had "stone grilled" steak. The meat was brought on a hot stone grill to the table, and you cooked it to your own liking. While my steak, was very good, my husband's was not. The menu was quite pricey, but the views of Lake Tekapo were wonderful!

Reviewed April 23, 2014

We ate here twice. First night we had the beef on the hot plate and the second time fresh fish. Enjoyed both meals very much.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

Came here as the Kohan restaurant around the corner was just too expensive.
The experience was nothing too exciting; the staff seemed uninterested, had to go to the bar to order the food as nobody cared to come to our table for 10 minutes.
The food was fine (although I wouldn't call it European cuisine), but a bit pricey, as can be expected at such a remote touristy location.
Outdoor seating area is quite pleasant.

Overall, an average restaurant with decent food.