“Great food, same can't be said for service”

Mackenzies Cafe Bar Grill
Ranked #3 of 14 Restaurants in Lake Tekapo
Cuisines: European
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Hamilton & Waikato Region, New Zealand
“Great food, same can't be said for service”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We were a group of 6, we were told we could either eat outside or at the bar, as they were unable to seat us in the restaruant, yet there were plenty of tables empty, they then proceeded to inform us that we would have to order at the bar! (no table service) our group all ordered our meals and had eaten 95% of our meal, while 1 friend was still waiting for his meal. I asked where my friends meal was, they got all flustered and brought out 3 different meals of which none were what my friend ordered...another 10mins later finally his correct meal arrived only after everyone else on the table had finished. Yes Mackenzies was busy, and ok it it was a Sunday, but with 4 waitresses and a bar manager I think things could have been a lot better organised and run. On a positive note though, everyone did really enjoy our meals.

1 Thank TSmithNZ2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Santa Clara, California
“Would not eat here again”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

They advertise that you cook your food on a hot stone. There were 6 of us. 3 of us ordered food on a hot stone. After 1.5 hours when other tables that had come in after us already had their food, the staff explained to us that it was because we had ordered food to be cooked on the hot stones! They said it takes so long for us to heat up the stones! We said, why didn't you tell us that when we ordered? I think what really happened was that they lost our order, and instead of saying---oops, dessert is on us, they used the "hot stone" explanation. When I asked for the 2nd time where our food was, the waitress said, please sit down, your food is being served now---she just went by with two of the orders. I said, but there are 6 of us! She was just so rude!!!! In the end, the manager made it right by giving us a discount, but 1.5 hours is too long to wait. I would try a different restaurant.

Visited November 2012
2 Thank Kelsey1976
norfolk england
“a great meal”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

We had a great meal here. My wife had a delicious lamb shank and I had the stone-grilled steak with prawns which I really enjoyed. Generous portions well cooked with a lovely view of the lake. Our neighbours had delicious looking desserts but we were too full to try them.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank wal4d
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Great Coffee”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

A 1 hour stop over on our way from Queenstown at Lake Tekapo. Quit a few restaurants to chose from but decided on Mackenzies.
A smart place in the centre of the strip with attentative staff. The coffee was excellent.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank the_baron1
Singapore, null, Singapore
“Great ambience, good food, too expensive”
Reviewed November 29, 2012

We enjoyed the ambience. The service was very poor and slow. We tried the smoked salmon and the steak. The salmon was excellent but the the steak was over cooked. I sent the steak back and even the second steak came back overcooked.

Visited November 2012