So much had been written about this Lake that we put it on our "must see" list. Yes, the lake was stunning in all it's autumn glory and the morning mist and evening sunsets a photographers dream.
Pity that the hoons driving their cars thru the camper park far exceeded the 'walking' speed limit. One of them seemed to be a staff member who constantly sped thru several times a day!
The showers are unisex, OK can get used to that but you still have to pay. The Kitchen facilities are old and tired looking but reasonably clean.
We had a very nice camper site overlooking the lake but on the weekend the peace was shattered by the jet skis and power boats with their barking dogs etc. This is a very popular locals water sports area so bear that in mind.
Attractions in this area are a historic old church, "Good Shepherd" and the Observatory up on Mt John which is well worth the steep drive up. Big campervans made it up the narrow (almost one way) winding road. Coffee shop and great views at the top.
The small "village" within walking distance has some eating places and a small convenience supermart as well as a couple of petrol stations.
Just up the road from the holiday park is a hot springs spa pool/s complex where you can relax for an admission cost.
The reception at this park was cordial but reserved, meaning it wasn't as warm and friendly like most others we had been to. That's probably because it is the only park here and seems to be more aimed at the locals and their power boats and weekend activities.
Now that we have seen the lake we probably won't come back. Cost, $40NZ per site per nite for 2 in a camper.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Lake Tekapo Motels & Holiday Park is set amongst mature trees on the picturesque shores of Lake Tekapo. Our grounds offer endless views across the turquoise lake to the surrounding mountains. If you’re looking for Lake Tekapo accommodation, our Holiday park is the perfect place for a family getaway or a nights stop over, with a bed to suit everyone’s budget.Set in the scenic Mackenzie basin, our lakeside holiday park accommodation options include camping and campervan sites, cabins, self-contained motel units and a backpacker lodge, all with clean and comfortable facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Lake Tekapo Motels & Holiday Park reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lake Tekapo Motels And Holiday Park
- Lake Tekapo Motels & Holiday Park Hotel Lake Tekapo