“Charming old Hotel”
Review of Whangamomona Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stratford
Whangamomona Hotel
Ranked #3 of 8 Stratford B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 28, 2014

We stayed here in mid-March for 2 nights as we were booked on the Forgotten Highway railcarts ride and there are new owners from the previous time we stayed there who work hard to ensure
everyone who is accommodated there or just passing through get their drinks and meals supplied efficiently. Their costs must be high in keeping up supplies as they are a long way from Stratford or Taumaranui on this "forgotten highway" and there are no shops. No petrol stations either so make sure that your vehicle tank is filled up before leaving the towns just stated.
The Hotel also had to buy water in as they were running low on our visit. Our room upstairs was large as they had to convert it from the small lounge into another bedroom, the white linen and towels are great and the bed very comfortable. Terrific food, buffet meal one night was THE best!

Room Tip: All I can say is book your room early ahead of time if you want to stay there.
1  Thank Josie006
There are newer reviews for Whangamomona Hotel

Reviewed March 21, 2014

We stopped at the hotel whilst travelling the Forgotten Highway. On leaving I forgot my handbag. When I realised an hour and half later the landlords, Vicki and Richard couldn't have bee more helpful in returning it.

Great service and kindness.

1  Thank Brian M
Reviewed March 20, 2014

We completed an awsome day on the Forgotten World Adventure by staying at the Whangamomona Hotel. The hotel was as expected, a historical building and had a great atmosphere. My bedroom was clean and adequate for an overnight stay, however the room rate was overpriced for the facilities provided. Whilst it included breakfast, the meagre offering of toast and cereal did not compensate for the rate charged. And to rub salt into the wound, a family member of the hotel manager was provided with a cooked breakfast whilst we munched on our toast. My dinner the previous evening was perfectly edible but once again over priced. I recommend that travellers who book in check on cancellation policies and if in a group confirm room configurations. The staff were helpful and friendly but the organisation would benefit from some experience in public relations if they wish to expand their business.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank SophieHamilton
Reviewed March 11, 2014

The forgotten world highway is one of the most enjoyable routes through rural New Zealand. The highlight is a stopover at the Whangamomona hotel. It offers a terrific atmosphere, good food and comfortable accommodation. It is ok to travel in either direction and I was rewarded with fantastic views of mount Taranaki on the west and mount Ruapehu on the east. The hotel is roughly half way between Stratford and Taumarunui (150km total distance) which makes it a perfect challenging ride. The 12 km of gravel road on the Taumarunui leg is quite smooth and flat, between the more hilly sections. The hotel is the perfect place to recharge your batteries and experience some real NZ rural hospitality.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank dutchkiwi_10
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I have been to Whangamomona before but this time we were staying there midway through our Forgotten World golf cart on the rail adventure & it was like living in history. I knew the hotel had been rebuilt in 1911 after a fire but it seemed older than that and the atmosphere is great & so are some of the characters that live there. I was told that there is only 22 people living in Whangamomona itself but you would not believe that as the place was packed. Mind you we had 20 people in our party. The pictures on the wall show the history of the place and there is also a wall of jokes. One of the first things I did when I got there was to buy a passport but tried not to appear as a tourist. Outside you can walk around the town or what is left of it and read the history of each store on a plaque. I was also intriqued by the cellar. I have not seen one since my childhood days where they lower kegs down through an outside entrance. The rooms show their age but I got what I expected and it was comfortable. Of course it is not en suite but plenty of toilets & showers along the hall. A few of us were disconcerted in the morning to find the door locked so we could not get out through the front entrance to go for an early morning stroll or take pictures and had to find alternative egress. I could not help wondering the result if there had been a fire.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Claude H
Reviewed March 7, 2014

The Whangamomona Pub should be on every ones 'bucket list', so we decided to do it before our bucket got kicked over! Drove in from Taumaranui and stopped at all the ghost towns on the way. Great scenery and a road well worth driving on. The Pub is a popular stop for bikers of every sort, size and description - all friendly as. The meals were really good and a bus load of tramper stopped for a buffett.
As you would expect of an Hotel of this vintage the facilities were as they would have been 'in the old days'. Loo and showers down the passage - but that's part of its charm. And, the locals - great characters. We really enjoyed the experience.

1  Thank Frances A
Reviewed February 25, 2014

We had heard so mush about Whangamomona over the years that we took the opportunity to drive over the Forgotten World Highway, stay ovenight at Whangamomona and have dinner at the pub. The history of the pub reflects the colourful and unique nature of the Whangamomona community. The present pub isthe second to be built on this site. The first burnt down in 1905 - the only thing left standing was the kitchen coal range. The new pub, built in 1911, was constructed around the same coal range! The memorabilia on the pub walls is quite amazing, from jokes to olde worlde news items to reports of local rugby matches - Whangamomona was rugby mad! We had a delicious meal - my husband chose lamb shanks and I ordered a Whanga burger. The pub is now under new management and the publican goes out of his way to make sure his guests have everything they need. We had forgotten to buy bread earlier in the day before arriving at Whangamomona, but the publican was more than happy to sell us a loaf from his freezer. (There are no shops in Whangamomona these days.) So if you're down Taranaki way, I can certainly recommend a stop-off at Whangamomona and a great meal at the Whanga pub.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple