Whangamomona Hotel
  • Breakfast included
Barberry Hill(Stratford)
Agoda.com
  • Room Service
All reviewsthe pubforgotten worldforgotten highwayrooms are smallcountry hotelstep back in timerail trailpresidential electionsclassic kiwipiegreat hospitalityold styleen routecountry fareold railwayquad bikesunsealed road
Reviewed April 19, 2013

This is Glynis from Kapiti 4 Seasons. Two days ago eighteen of us enjoyed our $22 finger food luncheon in the private dining-room. We had three tables of six people. Each table had huge platters of hot food and delicious sandwiches along with lots of chocolate mini muffins and fresh fruit...So much food we couldn't eat it all (many did try...) Penny, the owner gave us lots of attention along with her very friendly staff...We also had a nice stroll around this historical little village before continuing on to Taumarunui on the Forgotten Highway...

Room Tip: we only had lunch this time but it is a fun place to stay overnight.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 27, 2013

The Whangamomona Hotel is a must for anyone with an interest in New Zealand's architectural heritage. It is, however, much more than just an interesting building - the food was excellent and very reasonably priced. The personal service met the same high standard. The rooms were well set out, clean and comfortable. The whole experience was like a window onto times gone by. This enchanting hotel is well worth a diversion from the main route

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 25, 2013

If you're looking for five star service and tip top accommodation then I suggest you don't stay here.

But, if you're looking for real people in a rural out of the way place offering reasonably priced rooms with good pub food, then do.

Rooms are absolutely fine, with very comfy beds. It's a shared bathroom experience (something I'm not keen on, but that's for personal reasons - not a fault of the hotel) with plenty of fresh towels available. Our room had a washbasin.

A small lounge was available for making tea and coffee - somewhere to sit and be quiet or watch the TV.

The food is good 'Kiwi Tucker' - generous quantity. Steak cooked to perfection. The pate as an entree was delicious. A big tick for offering one the option of pre odering for a certain time; this worked very well with our yummy pate appearing right on time at 7 pm.

A credit card over the bar enables a tab to be had with an itemised bill at the end. Very useful, especially when downing a pint or two in the very pleasant bar. No, don't worry about letting a credit card out of sight (as instructed by Visa and Mastercard) these folk are as honest as the day is long - that's part of the charm!

We stayed here on the Rail Cart trip in January and felt it to be ideal: somewhere with spotlessly clean beds, a good pub atmosphere with good beer. Penny very friendly and obliging as were the other staff.

You get what you see for a price that's fair and reasonable.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I stayed at this old classic Kiwi Hotel at the begining of Dec 12. I found Penny and Geoff to be very accomodating and Geoff put on excellant meals for our party of 17 people over this period. The rooms were very clean and tidy, with the beds been very comfortable. I was so impressed with our stay that I intend to do a road trip with my wife for a weekend away from cell phone coverage and the internet, basically to escape any form of outside communication and enjoy peace and quiet. I find the comments by those who were disgruntled interesting. But after watching the Tourists Attack documentary, some people obviously have sad lives and have nothing better to do then whinge about anything. I think they would complain if they stayed in Buckingham Palace. Penny, Geoff and staff are real people and do a fine job. Keep up the good work and don't pay too much attention to some of these unfortunate people who wish they had blue blood.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Where do I start. The previous review is very much identical to our experience. Perhaps I should first start with the positives. LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION. It is spectacular, if you like middle of nowhere native bush, untouched lands. This is why we made the trip here. This is where the positives end. We booked well in advance. Penny took our booking via phone and was very rude when I asked for a description of the rooms. I said to her "are they nice rooms", she replied "no theyre absolutely disgusting". Taken aback, I assumed she was trying to be humorous. She wasn't. The rooms are terrible. Tiny is an understatement. We arrived on a Saturday afternoon having made the 2 hour trip from nearby Hawera, Taranaki. My travelling partner came all the way from Wellington, looking for some time to get away from it all. We checked in with the friendly staff member at the bar, and Penny's husband showed us our room. What a let down. PLEASE ask for photos of your room before you stay here. We asked for another room, which was too inconvenient for them to organise. Again, the hotel was half empty. The man's response was "if it is not up to your standards you are most welcome to find alternative accommodation". There is NO alternative accommodation in Whangamomona, The owners are using this to get away with terrible services knowing that most will not turn around and go back to Stratford or Taumarunui. My friend and I had a light meal in the bar while we discussed our options. The meal was also terrible. Perhaps we shouldn't have complained until after we had eaten. Unable to face a weekend of substandard overpriced food and squatters accommodation, we asked for a refund and returned to Hawera. Our refund was refused, and they also charged my credit card for the following night's stay, which we had booked at the time of the initial booking.
Whangamomona region is beautiful but don't stay the night at this pub, I would rather camp in a tent at the local campground, or make it a day trip and bring your own food.

Room Tip: Rooms are terrible, I dont believe there are any good rooms. Our one was facing the main road and had a nice view. Still not worth the money. Just dont stay here, have a drink and move on.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple