“Night in Glen Waverley”

Hotel Ibis Melbourne Glen Waverley
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Glen Waverley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Dubbo
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Stayed for 3 nights for business training (was booked by company).
The room was basic and clean yet small. Very small bathroom with very little room for personal effects on the bathroom basin. There was also no drapery/blinds on the large clear glass bathroom window, so it was a bit unnerving to look out the window at the traffic while showering. Thank goodness I was on the third floor!
I ate in the restaurant for the first 2 nights as I was exhausted, had the flu and didn't want to venture into the cold to go elsewhere. Although I wasn't paying for any of it, I thought the meals were overpriced for the quality and quantity, and not very adventurous. The meals sounded tasty on the menu but were very disappointing. The rice served with my meal was served in a cup shape but was so hard I wondered if they had forgotten to cook it. I had to cut through it with my knife. Although not a huge eater, I went to bed still slightly hungry (even with the flu!!). The table service was great on the first night but on the second night was very poor (different waiters). I ordered a glass of wine with my meal and it was very slow to arrive. I ordered another glass of wine at the end of my meal and waited over half an hour for it. I eventually caught the waiter's eye and he remembered to bring it to me! The gentleman at the table next to mine got sick of waiting for the drink he'd ordered so walked up and asked for his bill and left.
On the 3rd night I visited a busy local restaurant Shine Cafe Bar & Lounge and ate the best meal I've had for years (I'm still talking about it!). The motel is conveniently close to great restaurants, bars and shopping centres.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Sydney
Reviewed September 23, 2010

Had to stay for one night here since my preferred spot, the nearby Quest Apartments were unavailable that evening, and the nearby Novotel was even more expensive. Frankly, at A$189 for the night (plus $12 for parking, plus $24.95 for a day's internet access, and breakfast not included), this is exceedingly poor value for money. After all, the Ibis is a "budget" chain: the product features small-ish rooms, with minimal facilities, and basic fittings. On the plus side, the room was in perfect condition, and everything was clean and fresh in an Ikea showroom sort of way, and I slept very well. The shower stall is exceedingly small (reminded me of a shipboard cabin), and there's not much room to spread out. For one, maybe two nights, if the price was more reasonable, this would be an OK option.
Also on the plus side, the staff were very friendly and helpful, and there appeared to be a decent dining and bar area off the lobby. But, with dozens of cheap-and-cheerful restaurants and cafes a short walk up the road (plus the outstanding Shira Nui), we didn't try it out. Only the previous week I was in a Holiday Inn Express in the US, and for half the price of the Ibis, I had double the space, plus free internet and parking and breakfast. I don't mind paying high prices for top hotels, but I do mind paying high prices for budget hotels. I can only recommend the Ibis if you are able to get a more reasonable price.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Espoo
Reviewed July 19, 2010

I spent about three weeks in that hotel and liked it a lot. The staff is friendly and helpful (as Australians usually are). The hotel is pretty young like two or three years old, comfy, you get plasma TV (with very strange looking anti-theft protector) and queen sized beds. Breakfast is unusually good of fresh produces, the midnight ham&cheese sandwich with chips was fantastic.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Funzo, General Manager at Hotel Ibis Melbourne Glen Waverley, responded to this review, January 11, 2011
Hello,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Hotel Ibis Glen Waverley. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Regards

Guy Marinucci
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 15, 2010

I stayed at the IBIS when the Quest was not available during a recent extended stint.

Advantages:
Cleaner & newer than the Novotel next door.
pick and go food options are great for in-room dining - just order at reception and in most cases its ready a few minutes later. perfect for those feeling lazy and not wanting to walk 500m walk to local cafes.
Small bar downstairs.

Disadvantages:
Tiny rooms - I stayed in a deluxe room, and still barely had enough room to open my small bag & the ironing board. Bathroom was also tiny.

Price is a lot more reasonable than the Novotel next door, but would preferred the Quest on all counts as, for a comparable price, the rooms were significantly bigger.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Dear Vanouhi,

A majority of guests find the room size adequate for their needs.We are a Hotel and the room size is comparible to most Hotels in our rating.

Regards

Guy Marinucci
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 16, 2010

Having to move out from nearby Novetel with my family in tow to another hotel nearby i have to settle for Ibis at A$180 a nite (weekday rates being higher). Having come from a more spacious Novetel which fit 3 of us the standard room in Ibis is best described as cramped with the spare bed not larger than a sofa bed, indeed not for tall persons but more likely a small child. The bathroom is small and we feel we were in a shoe box. Cannot comment on other amenties but outside the hotel there are lot of eateries of various ethnic origins including european and fast food in the nearby Glen.

To be fair, Novetel offers great value for monies during weekends and weekdays i suppose what you pay is what you can get though i do not wish to advertise for any chain there are other options further afield which offers more for less and are equally as new. Just google and you can agree with me. I am still an Accor frequent stayer but the point i make there is better value accommodation if you are not a last minute stayer as i was.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
The Waverley International Hotel
Quest Glen Waverley
Quest Glen Waverley
#1 of 6 in Glen Waverley

Been to Hotel Ibis Melbourne Glen Waverley? Share your experiences!