“Let down by a waiter.”

Cuisines: Australian
Melbourne, Australia
“Let down by a waiter.”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My boyfriend and I popped in for coffee whilst out one afternoon and were seated in the well presented upstairs area. The cafe has a cozy feel, with dark wooden furnishings but large bright windows.
We both wanted an iced chocolate and the waiter came to take our order but didn't speak at all, so we ordered and he left to make them, still without saying anything. He brought them out to our table, again, not saying anything.
The iced chocolates were very good, and nicely presented, and reasonably priced at around $5 each.
I got up to pay at the bar and the waiter who had served us told me in a few monosyllabic words how much I owed him, took the money and gave me the change without smiling once or asking how everything was. Upon leaving, we were thanked by a waitress downstairs very politely, which reassured us that not all the staff were as rude as our waiter.
I had high expectations of the cafe, and probably will return for lunch at some stage as I enjoyed the atmosphere and I think the prices are reasonable.

• Visited March 2013

Worcestershire, United Kingdom
“Good food and service”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Good place for breakfast or lunch. Reasonable price, pavement cafe in the heart of Glen Waverley. Turkish sandwiches are very good.

Visited February 2013
“Exceptional service”
Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I had breakfast here this morning. Wow, totally fantastic service despite a small glitch for which we received courteous and sincere apologies. The wait staff were fast, professional, efficient and cheerful. Even with the small hiccup, the service was better than we've seen in many of the other restaurants at which we've recently had breakfast. Definite telly going on hour "must visit Gain" list. The coffee alone is worth a visit. Super.

Melbourne, Australia
“Improving”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Having eaten here many times, we have seen the ups and downs - it's starting to improve again. Food is always excellent, generous, but slightly over-priced. Service is patchy - I think some work on training the wait staff would bear fruit. Just re-appointed a previous manager and you can see his hand in the place. Food still takes a little too long to come, especially when they are busy, but the food never disappoints.

Plus, if you get to know the manager and staff, free coffees and a regular discounts are the order of the day! :-)

• Visited January 2013
Wheelers Hill, Australia
“2.5 at best - noisy - slow - coffee a real highlight”
Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

Monday night quick bite out in GW for wife and I. GW is always busy so that's good. However the acoustics at Zest make it very noisy even for such a small cafe. This made talking tough.

Initial service was good but we arrived at 7 pm and service got slower as night progressed.

Steak and sauce nice tasty but risotto tasted to heavy with garlic and some other background taste, maybe olive oil.

Beer selection very small, only 6-7 to choose from.
Desert choice very small.
Service too slow

The highlight, was the best coffee I have had for a while. A real plus.