“Japanese food in the burbs”

Burwood Teppanyaki House
Ranked #2 of 33 Restaurants in Burwood East
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 1, 2015

We picked Burwood Teppanyaki for a casual family lunch because it's near where my daughter works and it's in the Entertainment Guide offering 25% off up to $50. We weren't disappointed. After opting for the a la carte if the restaurant, everything progressed very smoothly. The food was all piping hot and fresh fresh fresh! Soft shell crab was a stand out starter, while my mixed tempura was excellent and was sampled by the others. All this was washed down with house sake $10 per 125 ml. Desserts were not brilliant and should perhaps have been skipped. With the discount, this turned out to be a good value for money family lunch.

1  Thank John R

Reviewed August 17, 2015

Was there last Fri 14 Aug with a group of 4. We had a very entertaining chef - so he more than made up for the not so fresh food. Noted that other reviews comment on the price but personally - you are getting entertainment with a skilled slicing, dicing, flaming, juggling & amusing chef - what do you expect? The prawns, chicken & sprouts Teppanyaki-ed was not fresh but okay. Miso had too much of a smoky flavour. Am I qualified to rate Japanese cuisine? I should hope so having had a few Japanese friends who introduced me to real Japanese cuisine. This ain't Japanese - caters more to the western palate with dollops of some sort of herbed butter & overly sweet dressings (chicken). But as I said - the non-Japanese chef at our table made up for all the shortcomings - 5 star entertainment value! Cocktails were pretty good. We had dessert & coffee elsewhere. Would I go again? Hmmm...moot point.

Reviewed August 8, 2015 via mobile

We enjoyed the experience but it was a little on the pricey side. Very fresh food. Service was mixed depending on which staff member came.

Reviewed July 27, 2015

Have been here before, but this time was the unfortunately the last. It was my partner's birthday so I had booked it and had 10 other guests with us. I wanted it to be a memorable night. It wasn't. Food came out cold, incorrect, waiters were vague and unhelpful. They tried to bring me fish when I ordered Teriyaki chicken. Food was overpriced for what we got and service was extremely poor. Such a shame cos we have had a nice time previously.

Reviewed July 5, 2015

Went here for my sons birthday, 6 in total and found as first time Teppanyaki eaters it was different , don't get me wrong Japanese is nice and the chef was a bit of an entertainer its just that i guess i was expecting more of a food variety we had the meat special and they were small portions we than had some egg and finished of with rice
Try not to order drinks as they quickly add up on the bill at the end
I think for what we paid for this night out it was overpriced but enjoyable wouldn't rush back