Bungunyah Manor Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in North Tamborine
Reviewed September 30, 2012

If you have ever wanted to be one of the actors on Fawlty Towers then Bungunyah Manor Resort ( Resort was their title, this Hotel could never ever be described as a resort using any persons vocabulary ) is the right place to come and audition.

Any photos you see online or in brochures are so far from realistic and do not truly reflect the quality of the property, it is a shambles.

Now I decided to write this review because in the reception it showed a large number of wedding photos and I could imagine that these wedding couples have been disappointed so many times and I wanted to ward off anybody booking this establishment for their wedding night.

So down to brass tacks.

We arrived and went to sign in and we where told that the restaurant would not be open ( It was the Sunday night of a long weekend ) Wow how are we supposed to have dinner on one of the bussiest nights for the area !!! so we where given a list of restaurants in the area and told to ring them to see if anybody could fit us in, not surprisingly everybody was booked out and we finally ended up eating in a Irish Pub. ( Now the issue I have is why did the management inform us that they would not have the restaurant open and suggest we book a restaurant before arriving at 4.00pm on the night. !!

So now to the room, tired is the only things that comes to mind. They decribed the rooms in their marketing materials in a way that would sound like a Victorian manner, I'm afraid all they are trying to do is explain away that the Hotel is in dire need of a renovation.

The bed was so old that it bowed into the centre so my wife and myself spent the whole night attempting to roll back towards the side. The Doona was not big enough for two people so once again my wife and I spent the night over who was to warm and no was to be cold.

The kitchen was in the bathroom, and the fridge was mounted in the bathroom vanity. The tea and coffee facilities are in the wardrobe.

Luckily the toilet is in the bathroom with the shower. I suppose they could not get that wrong. ( Well I did not have the opportunity to look at the other rooms )

Woops nearly forgot, we really wanted a fireplace in our room, and when we booked it was actually one of the things that made us book this particular Hotel. Guess what, we walked in and a little sign that looked as if had been their for about 20 years stated that the fireplaces are not in use. So I ask myself why are fireplaces still included in the Hotels marketing and advertising materials.

P.s. bring Shower gel, the soap is truly horrible.

So onto the morning, a tractor start up and the owner and his assistant decided to have a loud conversation over the tractors engine on the lawn in front of our SUITE, ha ha ( Suite, wow never ) at 8.00am

So we are heading upto breakfast and the owner/manager are still on the lawn outside our room, so I thought I would have a quick look to see what was the emergency that required their work commencing at that time on a public holiday. Ok, now I understand a sign was being replaced. That really had to be performed as soon as possible...?

So breakfast, the room was so cold my wife nearly went back to the room to get a jumper, the toast was cold before you could get it back to the table. The coffee must have been put on the stewer at about 6.30am to get the flavor just right.

So in finishing, I believe that the owners should correct their marketing and advertising materials to something that better reflects the true nature of their hotel.

I would suggest that they go through rebranding exercise and call the establishment Fawlty (Faulty) Towers and people would then expect the true nature they are faced with on their arrival.

SORRY, one more really funny moment that I have to pass on.

It is 11.00pm at night we have just come back from the Irish pub in bed and we are fighting over the Doona and my wife tells me to shush up and listen.......So I'm listening and not really understanding what I'm hearing.... My wife explains, it's a man taking a pee standing up in a toilet, I started laughing as then it was really clear. Their was the tinkle tinkle of the stream from a height, and the splash and wiggle. It really was very clear once heard from a woman's point of view.

It was resonating through our bedroom as if the gentleman was actually in our room using our toilet. I smiled turned over and we continued to fight over the Doona.

Another sleepless night that I paid for.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank RDHOZ
KERRIE G, General Manager at Bungunyah Manor Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2012

Bungunyah is situated on over 7 acres. It comprises 16 double sandstone motel suites, has extensive gardens, extensive organic fruit and vegetable gardens, a swimming pool, spa, sauna, tennis court. Bungunyah offers conference, wedding and function facilities ,Hardly a bed and breakfast or a standard motel.

These photos were given to us by couples who were married here and stayed here. Many return for their wedding anniversaries. If they were disappointed so many times, they would not have given us the photos and returned for their special memories of Bungunyah.

The majority of local Restaurants open during the evening on Friday and Saturday only, regardless of long weekends. When you made this booking with Last Minute on Friday 28/9/2012 if you wished to book in the Manor Restaurant for the Sunday evening, it would have been prudent to book ahead. At that time you would have been advised that the Restaurant was not open on the Sunday evening and would then have been able to make bookings with other Restaurants. As set out on our website, our Restaurant is open on Friday and Saturday evenings only. In any event, on the Last Minute Site for Bungunyah, it states that the Restaurant is open of Fridayd and Saturday - NOT SUNDAY.

Your room had one queen size blanket and bedspread on the bed. In the walk in robe, there was an additional two queen size blankets and one queen size doona. Further, all rooms have full reverse cycle airconditioning. Therefore I am at a loss to understand how you can complain “who was warm and who was cold”

Our rooms DO NOT HAVE, nor are advertised as having ‘KITCHENS

Gas Fire places are on during the winter season. On Sunday 30/9/2012 the temperature on Mt Tamborine was 26 degrees. Guests were swimming in the pool.

P.s. bring Shower gel, the soap is truly horrible. No other guest has made a comment on the soap provided. However, many guests bring their preferred bathroom supplies, soap, shower gel, shampoo and conditioner

We dispute that a tractor was started up at 8.00 a.m. on the Monday morning

The rooms are divided by double sandstone brick. The next room’s bathroom facilities are not adjacent to the wall of your bedroom. What you describe regarding hearing the guests next door is not possible. Perhaps you need to ask yourself what you drank at the Irish Pub that night or perhaps what you heard was one of our friendly ghosts in your bathroom.

Reviewed November 27, 2011

We drove up from Brissie a couple of weeks earlier to search out a great retreat for a couple of days. Finally decided on Bungunya because of a great location, and a good quote. When we turned up to actually book in two weeks later, the price had suddenly changed - up!. We had a written quote but did not have it with us. Had to pay extra. Not a good start. The second bed was excellent for anyone athletic - it sank in the middle and was lots of fun trying to get out! Not all that good to sleep in though. People were friendly, grounds delightful, room ok. Only soap provided, bring your own shampoo. Its pretty good for a Fawlty Towers experience. Wouldn't go back, because of the pricing experience. But is just across the road from an excellent restaurant - sadly it's only open in the evenings at the weekend.

Room Tip: Room one was closest to the bird feeders - if you love birds n their noise early morning.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 29, 2008

This is a great historical manor, the rooms are Victorian style, rather large with ensuites, four poster beds and TV/loung area with gas fireplace. Also a balcony with a pleasant outlook looking over the beautiful lawns nd gardens.

Continental breakfast is included in the weekend tarrif and is available in the dining room, a cooked breakfast can also be purchased.

There is a restaurant in the original manor which has a French influence... Great stay, in a time when many B&B;s, mountain lodges etc are all just getting a bit exppensive, this place is just a little gem.
We will be back, enjoyed the quietness and the friendly staff.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
#1 of 9 in North Tamborine
Mt Tamborine Stonehaven Guest House
11 mi away
InterContinental Sanctuary Cove Resort

Been to Bungunyah Manor Resort? Share your experiences!