Hotel Podocarpus
  • Restaurant
  • Free Internet
$66
$63
Hostal Los Lirios(Loja)(Great Value!)
$24
  • Free Internet
$74
Agoda.com
All reviewsdrinking watercentral locationquiet roomstreet sidetop floorbreadelevatorfurnituretaxishowerpillowsinternetecuador
Reviewed February 15, 2014

It was a clean hotel and the Staff was friendly, courteous, helpful and professional. The breakfast was included and adequate. I'm still not used to the instant coffee that seems to be common in Ecuador. They did have brewed weak coffee so the instant on the table made it much better.
The bed was comfortable enough but the pillows were bigger and harder than my liking. One medium grade towel and hand towel (single room), no bath mat to step on to and no wash cloth. Room small but adequate. It had a window that mostly looked into an unfinished laundry room that you could see city lights on the hillside through the top of the laundry room window and a small bathroom window (up high of course) that you could see outside. The shower drained as good as most hotels in Ecuador - slowly - and had an opening (about 8"x12") that went into the room. A nice(but different) ledge to lay the soap on.

Room Tip: Do not know if there is any tips for there. Only stayed one night and didn't spend much hotel time.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Cris H
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I stayed for a number of nights at this hotel, but next time I visit Loja, I will look for somewhere else. The price for a single room is reasonable, but several things were rather disappointing:
- several times the hot water was not functioning (each time, a call to the front desk provided a reason and the promise that it would be fixed in a couple of hours).

The second issue was the diesel fumes which waft up from trucks parked in the alley behind the hotel. Considering the windows are hard to open or close without reaching out and grabbing them, usually the smell would already be inside when I tried to stop it.

Breakfast was OK - you have to know to ask for eggs as they are not offered automatically.

Room Tip: Get a room on the street side, higher up. Bring earplugs.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank JoeSeg
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We choose Hotel Podocarpus because it had favorable trip advisor ratings at a good price. We were booked to stay for five nights but only stayed for two. Our room was small, dark and had a very small window in the bath area and another that faced the central corridor that contained a very noisy elevator shaft and the hall lights came on and off during the night. We could also hear the noise of the front desk. We did not rest well here. We did not ask to relocate as it appears that all rooms are arranged around the central corridor and have the same issue with the elevator noise, front desk noise and lights. The hot-water supply was intermittent or nonexistent -- nothing like a cold shower in a cold room to get the blood pumping. Another dissapointment was that the in-house restaurant was not open for dinner. The included breakfast buffet was ok. We relocated to the Grand Hotel Loja and highly recommed it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank John D
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Decent place to stay. Price very low and they reduced it for me when they saw I was a single traveler without my asking. Clean adequate room. Staff was very accommodating. In fact I gave the 3-11 counter girl a nice tip because she was so helpful. Rarely have I done this. Breakfast was free and probably typical.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank BoyntonBeachDonald
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Picked this hotel,as it had fairly good reviews.It was a Saturday. First impressions were ok. Big bedroom with a bath.Whoopee!
We were hungry,as we had caught the 8.30am bus from Cuenca to Loja,so asked where to eat,we went to the Fogon Grill, red meat, a change from chicken. On our return,fancied a hot soak,thats where it all went wrong. First, the bath hadn't any taps or plug,so, that was out,ok, a hot shower.Can you believe it, no hot water.
This hotel caters for buisness people,I think,through the week, so, as it is quiet at w/d's. they turn off the hot water supply, also, no breakfast at w/d's,the restaurant is closed.
Sence of humour failure!!
My husband,then found a much better deal up the road,& we left. Without, any argument,I must add, they obviously felt embarrassed.

Room Tip: make sure there is hot water
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple