“Los Angeles Locos needs work”
Review of Los Angeles Locos

Los Angeles Locos
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Tenacatita
Calgary
“Los Angeles Locos needs work”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Blue Bay no longer manages this hotel. It is now called Los Angeles Locos. I don't know the history, so I'm not sure if that is good or bad . The new management has their work cut out for them as this facility will require a lot of attention to get it back into shape. It's glory days are over.

This resort is 30 years old and it shows it's age. I don't have a problem with old, but things have to work and be clean. This involves basic maintenance and this is severely lacking. Our air conditioner (in 2 separate rooms) didn't work and we were told it was because "the building was old". Dresser drawers were either broken or nailed shut, bathroom faucets lacked screens so they would spout water all over the counters, half of the lighting in our room didn't work, and in one of our rooms on the top floor, the entire balcony was covered in bird feces from the 20 or so birds that roosted every night right above our balcony door. They need to figure out something so that birds aren't living there because our balcony wasn't useable. This building needs regular power washing.

We were disappointed in the food at the resort. Basic things like cream, butter, fruit juice (that wasn't synthetic) and ripe fruit were non existent. The second night we were there, my grand daughter was ecstatic when she found a cockroach in the dining room. We were not as excited.

We really enjoyed the other guests at the complex. Most of the guests are middle class Mexicans that are bussed in for 3 or 4 night stays they bring their kids and are there to have fun. No complaining, just head to the beach or pool and have fun. They were friendly and would always have an "hola" and a big smile for us. The evening shows are done entirely in Spanish.

Here is other points of interest

We spent 14 nights there and did not get sick.
Turtle release program was fun to be involved with
Jungle/ Mangrove tour was free and fun. Rico did a great job
Horse back riding was free and a fun trip up and down the beach
No toaster so no toast for breakfast. No bacon :(
Beer signs indicate Tecate beer but it's really Dos Equis XX in the taps
Taxi drivers are local and don't know much about Manzanillo. No english either
The beach is absolutely beautiful.
There is no car rental available.
Closest bank machine is about 35 minute taxi ride
WiFi is limited to the lobby and some parts of the pool area
All the staff are great and most speak at least basic English

Some staff really stood out for us. They made our trip enjoyable.
Maria, Pedro, Ernesto at customer service
Pedro at the Seafood restaurant
Pedro, Hugo, Gustavo at the buffet and Mexican restaurants
Martin, Chevren at the Italian restaurant
Carlos, Sergio, Jorge at the bars
Omar, Victor and Charlotte at activities

The main problem with this resort is cleanliness. They need to clean, clean, clean because....... when things are dirty they really look old, run down, worn out!

Room Tip: Rooms by tennis court are quieter. Check the air conditioner before settling in as many don't wo...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
14 Thank CalgaryDoyler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Port of Spain, Trinidad
Reviewed October 19, 2013

My wife booked us into this resort for a week as a surprise birthday present for me, This resort has a string of positive qualities, the staff, the food, the entertainment and the facilities.
STAFF:
We were surprised by the fully bilingual staff members there, we had assumed that English was going to be too limited, but surprise it was the other way around, so we didn’t have to practice much our Spanish.
The staff in the restaurants was very friendly, capable, prompt, and made us feel welcome every time we sat down. They were also more than able to manage our requests and food orders.
Like many other countries the staff worked long hours over long stretches of days so we would see many of the same faces in different restaurants at all three meals. They never failed to appear happy to see us. All in all the management needs to know and recognize that their staff is doing an admirable job.
FOOD:
We had meals at each of the restaurants on the property; we were more than satisfied with the quality of the food at each restaurant, great verity and selection of food.
FACILITIES:
Our room was large and cleaned and full of details that made us feel extra special, we were quite happy with the state of it when we arrived and each day when the staff had been through. We enjoyed the room but spent very little time there other than to sleep.
We enjoyed all the pools, preferring to spend our time on the beach and in the ocean but the pools looked clean enough and well maintained. We were one of the "early ones", arriving on the beach every morning to watch it and then swim. The beach cleaners would be out as soon as it was light, piling the sea grass.
ENTERTAINMENT
We enjoyed every single show at night time, and the endlessness of activities all day long, participating in most of the games and making friends that we have already making plans to come back here at Blue Bay Los Angeles Locos all together and bring our kids.

Overall we were very impressed with the Blue Bay Los Angeles Locos. The food, activities and the facilities were great but the staff will win your hearts and seal the deal. In the "value" category, all I can say that even thought I don’t know how much my wife spent; it was worth every single penny.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Mario C
Glendale, California
Reviewed October 18, 2013

on my third visit the service was as always super , it has not declined a bit, the warmness, the friendship, the attention, the quality of my stay there can not be surpassed by any other hotel I've been stopped, my family will not go to any other place but to gthe Blue Bay Los Angeles Locos, I have nothing more than thanks to the management and to the staff of this wonderful hotel, I recommend it to anybody and is/her family.

Room Tip: make you reservation on time so you won't have any delay in reaching your room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Joe C
California
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I was surprised to see the decent reviews this hotel has. My experience was the total opposite. This was by far the worst place we've stayed at and we've done a lot of traveling. We were told by others that this place was great. We heard they had great service, great food, all you can drink beverages, etc. etc. etc. They did have all you can drink beer and mixed beverages, but it was cheap beer and very poor drinks. You can say it was just sugar with alcohol. The food wasn't good either. The rooms were older, the bed was hard, the bathrooms were dated. Even the remote for our TV was not working properly. To sum it all up, we had booked a few days and left after one and headed back home.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Jorge F

Travelers are raving about these Tenacatita hotels

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My boyfriend and I were looking for somewhere all inclusive with a relaxing atmosphere, and that is what we got! We wanted a nice beach and a nice swim up bar, and didn't care so much about fancy rooms since we planned on spending most time outside. I had never been anywhere 'south', and this was an awesome first time trip. Food was great- always lots to choose from, from chicken nuggets and pizza to healthy tuna salads. Service was fantastic, staff were friendly. It's an interesting place because it seems like a weekend destination for local Mexican families, which we didnt mind and actually enjoyed- a little bit more culture! If you are wanting to go shopping and partying this isnt the place for you. We went to town one day and decided to split the cost of a cab with another family, which was about he same price as taking the guided tour, and that way we could come and go as we pleased. There were kids there, but it's more of an adult atmosphere. There is a disco on site but we didn't go, and by talking with other guests others didn't either. There is great snorkelling, and kayaking across the bay. I don't think we would go there again but only because I want to see other places- I'd definitely recommend it to others!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the tennis courts, they're the farthest from the disco. Also, we upgraded...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Janessa B
Los Angeles
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I read the reviews on here and have to agree with many of them. I am an American who married into a Mexican family and spend a great deal of time in Mexico and speak limited Spanish. This resort is definitely geared towards Mexican families, lots of group activities for both kids and adults. This was my first experience staying in an all inclusive resort (and hopefully last). I am a bit of a foodie and the food was lacking in quality. The breakfast in the buffet were good with made to order omelettes and lots of fresh fruit, but the lunches and dinners were not good. The food in the a la carte restaurants was much better but you are restricted in how many times you can visit them. Kids, Kids everywhere if you don't enjoy kids this not your resort (we had 10 with our group) don't use the pools unless you are ok with babies in diapers in the pools. The rooms were clean and OK but nothing special, the beds were very hard as noted in other reviews. I think the week I was there I was the only American there along with a few Canadians and the rest Mexican families. This resort is not up to the standards most Americans are looking for. If you are looking for a budget place to take the kids I think you will love it.

Room Tip: The Junior Suites are worth the extra money with a sitting area and the best views in the place.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank HawaiianTraveler5
Vancouver
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Blue Bay Los Angeles Locos is a very interesting resort. I would suspect that it is very polarizing with its Canadian and American guests.

This resort is aimed at Mexicans, with Canucks and Yanks also welcome. As such most of the activities and shows are communicated in Spanish. There is enough English spoken that all your needs will be taken care of.

Food: The main buffet, Embarcadero, Is great for made to order omelettes (Cecelia in the mornings). The lunches and dinners are not quite as good, however there is always something decent to eat. The A la carte restaurants are better than most of the other resorts we have been to. The house wines are also a notch above the normal house wines in Mexico.

Pools and Beaches: I have found that vacationers are divided into two groups. Pool people and beach people. Our small group of four are beach people. If you are a beach people, this is the place for you. The private bay Blue Bay is situated on is perfect for playing in the waves. The waves, while not big enough to surf on, they are consistent and well formed to body surf on. There is some danger with under tow but if you stay in the recommended areas, should be little trouble. There was one incident of a person getting stung by a ray. If you are a pool person, they have the usual pool games and events as well as a swim up bar.

Speaking of bars: The pool bar is very popular and efficient. The snack bar, near the beach area, is open at 11 and closes at 4 or 5 in the afternoon. The pool bar closes at 6 PM and all the bar functions transfer to the Tequila bar. Overall the bars at this resort do not offer all the drinks that some other bars do. You do get the basic bar drinks.

Electronic entertainment: The TV viewing in the lounge is quite limited. Usually soccer, with no hockey or basketball or curling. Like I mentioned earlier, this resort is aimed at Mexicans. The TVs in the rooms do have English programming. They do have free wifi. This is something some resorts do not offer. The wifi is limited to the lobby area but no major problem with that.

The resort, because it is on private land, has no vendors on the beach. This is either a major plus (like for me) or a negative if you like to shop while on the beach. It is relatively isolated. This is also a plus or a minus.

Like many of the resorts in Mexico, they charge a daily fee for the safety box in your room. However distasteful this is, it is cheaper than most other resorts (only 25 pesos/day)

They also have fishing for cheap at this resort. You are almost certainly going to catch a fish. I think everyone who went fishing during the two weeks we were there caught a fish. The cooks while cook the tunas up for you to eat.

Regarding other posts. The beds are firm. The bug problem was no problem while we were there. Ernesto at the front desk runs an efficient operation and is very helpful.

Would I stay at Blue Bay again? Yes
Would I recommend Blue Bay? Yes

Positives:
This resort has a great BEACH! Cheap fishing! No vendors! Very good A La Carte restaurants.

Negatives: Isolated! Average buffets (except breakfast) Little shopping! Hard Beds!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank riev
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tenacatita
Hotel & Temazcal Hacienda de Melaque
#1 of 4 in Melaque
Hotel Barra de Navidad
Hotel Barra de Navidad
#2 of 12 in Barra de Navidad

Been to Los Angeles Locos? Share your experiences!