“3rd visit”
Review of Los Angeles Locos

Los Angeles Locos
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Tenacatita
Reviewed October 18, 2013

on my third visit the service was as always super , it has not declined a bit, the warmness, the friendship, the attention, the quality of my stay there can not be surpassed by any other hotel I've been stopped, my family will not go to any other place but to gthe Blue Bay Los Angeles Locos, I have nothing more than thanks to the management and to the staff of this wonderful hotel, I recommend it to anybody and is/her family.

Room Tip: make you reservation on time so you won't have any delay in reaching your room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank Joe C

Reviewed September 28, 2013

I was surprised to see the decent reviews this hotel has. My experience was the total opposite. This was by far the worst place we've stayed at and we've done a lot of traveling. We were told by others that this place was great. We heard they had great service, great food, all you can drink beverages, etc. etc. etc. They did have all you can drink beer and mixed beverages, but it was cheap beer and very poor drinks. You can say it was just sugar with alcohol. The food wasn't good either. The rooms were older, the bed was hard, the bathrooms were dated. Even the remote for our TV was not working properly. To sum it all up, we had booked a few days and left after one and headed back home.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Jorge F
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My boyfriend and I were looking for somewhere all inclusive with a relaxing atmosphere, and that is what we got! We wanted a nice beach and a nice swim up bar, and didn't care so much about fancy rooms since we planned on spending most time outside. I had never been anywhere 'south', and this was an awesome first time trip. Food was great- always lots to choose from, from chicken nuggets and pizza to healthy tuna salads. Service was fantastic, staff were friendly. It's an interesting place because it seems like a weekend destination for local Mexican families, which we didnt mind and actually enjoyed- a little bit more culture! If you are wanting to go shopping and partying this isnt the place for you. We went to town one day and decided to split the cost of a cab with another family, which was about he same price as taking the guided tour, and that way we could come and go as we pleased. There were kids there, but it's more of an adult atmosphere. There is a disco on site but we didn't go, and by talking with other guests others didn't either. There is great snorkelling, and kayaking across the bay. I don't think we would go there again but only because I want to see other places- I'd definitely recommend it to others!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the tennis courts, they're the farthest from the disco. Also, we upgraded...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Janessa B
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I read the reviews on here and have to agree with many of them. I am an American who married into a Mexican family and spend a great deal of time in Mexico and speak limited Spanish. This resort is definitely geared towards Mexican families, lots of group activities for both kids and adults. This was my first experience staying in an all inclusive resort (and hopefully last). I am a bit of a foodie and the food was lacking in quality. The breakfast in the buffet were good with made to order omelettes and lots of fresh fruit, but the lunches and dinners were not good. The food in the a la carte restaurants was much better but you are restricted in how many times you can visit them. Kids, Kids everywhere if you don't enjoy kids this not your resort (we had 10 with our group) don't use the pools unless you are ok with babies in diapers in the pools. The rooms were clean and OK but nothing special, the beds were very hard as noted in other reviews. I think the week I was there I was the only American there along with a few Canadians and the rest Mexican families. This resort is not up to the standards most Americans are looking for. If you are looking for a budget place to take the kids I think you will love it.

Room Tip: The Junior Suites are worth the extra money with a sitting area and the best views in the place.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank HawaiianTraveler5
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Blue Bay Los Angeles Locos is a very interesting resort. I would suspect that it is very polarizing with its Canadian and American guests.

This resort is aimed at Mexicans, with Canucks and Yanks also welcome. As such most of the activities and shows are communicated in Spanish. There is enough English spoken that all your needs will be taken care of.

Food: The main buffet, Embarcadero, Is great for made to order omelettes (Cecelia in the mornings). The lunches and dinners are not quite as good, however there is always something decent to eat. The A la carte restaurants are better than most of the other resorts we have been to. The house wines are also a notch above the normal house wines in Mexico.

Pools and Beaches: I have found that vacationers are divided into two groups. Pool people and beach people. Our small group of four are beach people. If you are a beach people, this is the place for you. The private bay Blue Bay is situated on is perfect for playing in the waves. The waves, while not big enough to surf on, they are consistent and well formed to body surf on. There is some danger with under tow but if you stay in the recommended areas, should be little trouble. There was one incident of a person getting stung by a ray. If you are a pool person, they have the usual pool games and events as well as a swim up bar.

Speaking of bars: The pool bar is very popular and efficient. The snack bar, near the beach area, is open at 11 and closes at 4 or 5 in the afternoon. The pool bar closes at 6 PM and all the bar functions transfer to the Tequila bar. Overall the bars at this resort do not offer all the drinks that some other bars do. You do get the basic bar drinks.

Electronic entertainment: The TV viewing in the lounge is quite limited. Usually soccer, with no hockey or basketball or curling. Like I mentioned earlier, this resort is aimed at Mexicans. The TVs in the rooms do have English programming. They do have free wifi. This is something some resorts do not offer. The wifi is limited to the lobby area but no major problem with that.

The resort, because it is on private land, has no vendors on the beach. This is either a major plus (like for me) or a negative if you like to shop while on the beach. It is relatively isolated. This is also a plus or a minus.

Like many of the resorts in Mexico, they charge a daily fee for the safety box in your room. However distasteful this is, it is cheaper than most other resorts (only 25 pesos/day)

They also have fishing for cheap at this resort. You are almost certainly going to catch a fish. I think everyone who went fishing during the two weeks we were there caught a fish. The cooks while cook the tunas up for you to eat.

Regarding other posts. The beds are firm. The bug problem was no problem while we were there. Ernesto at the front desk runs an efficient operation and is very helpful.

Would I stay at Blue Bay again? Yes
Would I recommend Blue Bay? Yes

Positives:
This resort has a great BEACH! Cheap fishing! No vendors! Very good A La Carte restaurants.

Negatives: Isolated! Average buffets (except breakfast) Little shopping! Hard Beds!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
8  Thank riev
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We just returned from a 1 week stay with our 11 and 14 y old daughters-A great value all-inclusive in so many ways: gorgeous almost deserted beach- the resort is the only one on the beach..perfect weather- warm but not stifling, a gentle breeze makes it bearable but doesn't impede great tennis; kind attentive staff who try their best- though I strongly recommend dusting off your Spanish dictionary..firm mattresses for sure- but I slept better than on some boutique hotel soft ones..great bodysurfing waves far enough out and with few enough people that chances of injury are few-many included activities such as a horseback ride and mangrove tour- didn't get a chance to try all the pool and beach games in a week ( dance classes, " tequila volleyball" etc... ) dolphins, whales, turtles..food was fresh and fine lots of fish and seafood- the seafood sauce on pasta night was particularly delicious. Didn't tip the barmen- hard to carry pesos at the swim up bar but great service nevertheless - we negotiated a combo "deep sea fishing/ snorkeling trip which was very enjoyable though we sadly caught no fish " no suerte " according to our guide Luis, though we saw many jump as well as got a tour of the area, saw some above mentioned ocean inhabitants and had a nice snorkel including moray eels and jewel coloured fish- we also hired a cab to melaque and barra de navidad 2 nearby towns; inquire where the market is- it travels among the local towns and is worth a visit: nice silver jewelry, local crafts, my teenage daughter found coconut oil she's raving about, other guests scored cute Tshirts in the dollar ( 10 pesos ) bins..remember to negotiate prices both with the taxi driver and the market merchants...I also recommend shelling out a few pesos at the beach resto at the other end of the beach where the " boat people" hang out drinking margaritas , playing dominos, and telling fish tales
This place was very quiet during the week, but packed on the weekend with " local" tourists- which I personally found a plus- if there's one thing I usually find a deterrent in all inclusives, it's their generic component- you could be on any beach, surrounded by fellow gringos, whereas here, we certainly tasted the local flavour- it's definitely not club med or beaches, but why pay twice the price when you can get the best beach AND local flavour here? (This from a past club med ixtapa visitor ) all in all, highly recommended if your priorities are great beach, great weather and great ( local ) value

Room Tip: Best rooms are 4rth floor overlooking tennis courts: not as noisy- though the evening shows end befo...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Nimbin59
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We are a couple in our mid-twenties and stayed here from February 19-26, 2013.

Pros:
The staff here are very friendly and personable, although not all speak English. The entertainment staff in particular really enjoy their jobs and go out of their way to create fun contests for the guests. Omar speaks very good English and is more than happy to help if you run into a language barrier. The evening shows are pretty decent - they are loud, so you may as well attend, because you will hear them regardless. The bartenders were also very courteous and prompt. Chavarin at the disco and Carlos at the pool bar deserve special mention for their friendly service.

The beach is beautiful - we liked watching the pelicans and dolphins in the bay. We really enjoyed the snorkel tour that we booked through the water sports centre. Also, the La Vena restaurant at the end of the beach was fantastic - best coconut shrimp I've ever eaten.

La Arrecife restaurant was very nice and we enjoyed the food quite a bit. Pedro was an excellent waiter. Try to get a reservation at 7 PM, so that you can watch the sun set and enjoy the view of the bay.

There are a lot of Mexican locals here, especially on the weekends, and their children are remarkably well-behaved. There were a lot of kids but we didn't find them to be a problem at all; they were mostly just cute, especially when invited up on stage at the evening shows.

Cons:
My only major complaint was that we were told this hotel was a 4 star when we booked it, but it is really a solid 3-3.5 star, so our expectations were a bit out of line with reality. The facility is very clean but quite obviously an older hotel, and parts of it require repair/more substantial maintenance. However, we still enjoyed our stay, and this was more a problem with the travel agency than with the resort.

Yes, the beds are hard, but we didn't find this to be a major problem. We had no problems with anything in our room breaking or not working, but found we could hear the people in the adjoining room fairly clearly, which was disappointing. You must pay an extra 25 pesos per night for a room safe lock, which made me feel like we were nickel and dimed a bit. It would be better if this charge were simply included with the room fee.

The food at the main buffet ranged from poor to decent. However, the made to order omelettes at breakfast were fantastic, and we opted for pizza from the Italian restaurant for lunch most days. The main dishes at the Mexican restaurant were disappointing, but the tarmarindo margaritas, guacamole, and appetizers were very good.

The resort is quite isolated. Again, we found that we had plenty to do with the activities available on the resort, and we were looking for a relaxing vacation. We did not go to La Manzanilla but heard that the cab fare was about 200 pesos each way. If you want to do a lot of shopping or clubbing, this is probably not the place for you.

We booked a fishing trip with a group through the water sports centre that was disappointing, and heard from others that they had a good time and caught many fish, but they had a different driver, so it sounds like that is a major determinant of how good of a trip you will get.

Overall, we had a nice time in Manzanillo and enjoyed our stay at BlueBay. This is not a luxury 5-star hotel in a busy, commercial tourist area, so if you want that kind of experience, you should look elsewhere. However, if you would like a smaller hotel in a beautiful environment that is less busy and commercial, you will likely enjoy your stay here.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Sara M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tenacatita
Hotel La Alondra
La Quinta Gran Bahia Cuastecomates
Punta Serena
Punta Serena
#1 of 3 in Tenacatita

Been to Los Angeles Locos? Share your experiences!