“Good resort, great beach!”
Review of Los Angeles Locos

Los Angeles Locos
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Tenacatita
Calgary, Canada
“Good resort, great beach!”
Reviewed February 21, 2008

My wife and I spent 7 days in this Blue Bay resort and we were both happy with our trip.

Hotel Room:
Our room was on the 4th floor, which had a nice view but be aware there is no elevator. Our bathroom in the room was recently renovated and was very clean and nice.

Resort Facilities:
The pool was well maintained and was mopped several times per day. There were an excess of mosquitoes in the evening.

Food:
There were four restaurants on the resort, however we only ate at three of them.
Standard Buffet Restaurant
The food was okay, there was always fresh fruit and vegetables available at the buffet. The turkey and pork tenderloin were excellent however the beef at the buffet was stringy. The breakfast omelette bar was very good.
Special Restaurant
As part of our package we had two passes to the 'special restaurant'. The food and service in this restaurant were very good. Be aware that you have to book at 5pm the day before to get a reservation at this restaurant and you will need the pass with you both when you book and also when you dine. This restaurant is an a la carte with a 5 course meal. I was never disappointed with any of the food we got at this restaurant.
Snack Hut
There was a small snack hut just off the beach which we ate lunch at several times between activities. They had a limited selection and made hamburgers (beef or chicken) and hot dogs as well as nachos. This was handy when we were playing beach volleyball or soccer since it was right on the beach.

Staff:
All of the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Some of the tour staff did not speak English so plan on either speaking Spanish or at least have someone with you who can if you plan on the horseback riding or the Mangrove tours.

Activities:
We enjoyed the daily activities including the beach volleyball, soccer, water polo, and pool volleyball. The activities coordinators were great and ensured everyone enjoyed themselves during these activities. We took the horseback riding tour which was disappointing and I would recommend skipping since the horses did not seem to be treated well and strolled along the very short ride extremely slowly. The mangrove tour was better however and we enjoyed that. We also paid for a snorkeling tour in Tenacatita which was definitely worthwhile since there is a small coral reef there with several very colorful fish and rays.

Off the resort:
We spent two afternoons off the resort and had a great time on each.
Hike to Tenacatita
We took a 45 min hike to Tenacatita and did some shopping and ate lunch in the town before we hiked back. Initially we were worried about how safe we would be and the quality of the food we would find, however we had no trouble at all.
Cab tour of Barra de Navidad
We decided to take a cab tour which we arranged with the front desk of the hotel to Barra de Navidad. The cab driver stopped at several viewpoints and took us to see some crocodiles on the way and then met us a prearranged 2 hours later to bring us back to the resort. There was several silver and crafts vendors (mostly selling the same stuff) and we stopped at a very good cafe.

Overall we had a great time and would go back.

• Liked — The beach was amazing.
  • Disliked — The restaurant selection was limited.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MikeKCanada

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
California
Reviewed February 6, 2008

I would absolutely recommend Tenacatita...the people are warm and friendly and there's something to do all day long. They have activities for all ages and food at all times. The food is nice and fresh and the staff is so polite.

We actually went for the first time with my husband and two small boys (1st time there) and my parents (3rd time there) on the 29th of Jan and stayed til the 2nd because there wasn't enough space to let us stay longer, but i liked that it was so quiet and that everything is there for you to do, you don't have to go anywhere.

What I loved where the shows that the "animadores" put on at nite...that's fun and different.

The rooms where ok, clean and ample, but I didn't like that it's not too accomodating for infants :o( I was washing all my babies bottles in the sink in the bathroom :o(.

Other than that...my hubby already said he'd love to go back, and he's not a beach person, I practically dragged him there...he met a lot of great people (mostly Canadian during this time) and we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed January 2008
2 Thank LuvMexico75
Ontario
Reviewed February 1, 2008

My freind and I were at Blue Bay Los Angeles the same time (Jan 18-25 2008) as "good bad and ugly" and pretty much concurr with their review. To put this review in perspective, I have stayed in Mexico at a few Iberostar resorts in the Mayan and Cozumel, most reccently at El Dorado Seaside Suites (which I cannot say enough great things about!). We loved the privacy and the view was unbeatable! The ocean surf was lots of fun to boogie board, the jungle boat tour was surprisingly good, the horses for riding were very healthy, it was a short but lovely walk to Tenacatitia beach where the snorkelling was good.....all these things were great free activities! I found the pool was lovely with lots of chairs and palapas, the brown sand beach was beautiful (with horrible chairs), the music and activities at the pool were not too loud for us with our ipod's on, and the disco was fun and not loud at night. We were right above (room 324) the kereokee and that was loud on the nights we wanted to sleep early but we asked around and others said they did not hear it at the other ends of the resort. The rooms were a downside for me, I really missed having a mini bar and there was a musty smell, stains on the bed covers.....thank god our bathroom had been redone! We were only in our room to sleep. The food was another low point for me as I found it very bland and generally not very good. The omlette bar in the am was good, as was the beach bar (hot dogs, hamburgers) and the italian had ok pasta and not ok pizza. I always managed to find something at the buffet but generally I did not enjoy the food at all. In my opinion the food and the rooms keep this resort firmly at a 3 star rating. I did hear you can upgrade your room to a suite for a small extra fee. The a la carte restaurant was very good and I would have liked to go more then once as is alotted per week. I have to note the staff were all very helpful and friendly. Be warned all the drinks are very strong - delicious- but strong; almost everyone we met was very drunk all week! Bring a thermal mug with you and the bartenders will make you whatever you want. We paid $400 including flight for 1 week here. I feel like I got my moneys worth and if the price was similar I would not hesitate to reccomend this resort to anyone looking for a 3 star resort in Mexico. Feel free to email me with specific questions at noisymanagement@hotmail.com
Remember folks, you are in another country....your vacation is what you make it!!!

• Liked — beach, view, pool, size of resort
  • Disliked — food was barely ok, rooms were musty and run down
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank noisygirl
Fort McMurray, Alberta
Reviewed January 22, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Blue Bay resort from Jan 5-19, 2008. We specifically chose this resort for its remoteness - and we got what we expected. First of all, I have to make one point very clear: the good highly outweighs the bad and the ugly. We are not shoppers, so if you want access to nearby cities for shopping trips, this place is not for you. We talked to many of our fellow travellers who said the resort was nice, but there wasn't enough to do. They were shoppers.

The GOOD:

The resort on a whole was above average. The locale, the ocean view, and the amazing beach were all we had hoped for. I swam in the ocean every day, and had to be dragged out of the water because i wanted to stay in the surf. The beach is secluded, about a mile long. No peddlars, no condo sellers. We stayed in a standard room, which was fine. A little rough around the edges, it has two twin beds. My wife got a tour of a Junior Suite and was very impressed. The room has a king bed, is twice the size, and has a huge balcony. Well worth the $40 per couple a night extra. We found the service good, though some people were complaining that the staff did not come around to their beach chairs and take their drink orders. We didn't care. The tennis courts were great - we used them every day. We used Google Earth to look at our resort, and saw a side road leading to the nearby small town of Boca de Iguanas. A nice 2 kilometer walk away. We also walked twice to the town of La Manzanillo, 6 kilometers away, mostly along a beach. There is also a road at the north end of our beach across the river (cross at low tide) which leads over the volcanic hills to the Tenacatita beach. Here there is excellent snorkelling, and a row of great restaurants. One of the tours takes you here as well. The Jungle Tour along the river comes with the price of the hotel, and is also great. For $10 extra, the jungle tour operator will drop you at Tenacatita for the day and pick you up at the end of the day.

The restaurant was very nice. We received a coupon for one trip there a week, but there is a trick: you can take as many as 8 people on your coupon. So we invited 3 other couples, and then they invited us next time. We ended up going there 6 times!

The BAD:

I wasn't impressed with the beach chairs. They were made of hard plastic and were pretty uncomfortable. Each room has an adjoining door to another room. We tended to go to bed by 11pm, and the first week was fine with the next room containing a family. No noise at all hours. However the second week had a young couple in the next room. We heard every word they said while they watched TV at 2am arriving home from the disco. We complained to the front desk, sent them a note, and the rest of the time was fine. If you like to stay out late anyways, this may not be an issue. The taxi rates are set at the hotel, and are a rip-off. Our friends rented a car for the second week to see some of the sites, and invited us along.

The UGLY:

The noise. If you like to party, you can ignore this part of the review. However, we found the evening entertainment quite enjoyable but too loud. If you did not want to go to the entertainment, you would hear it anyways in your room with the window closed. That runs from 9-10pm. Following this is Karaoke downstairs, which runs to 11:30pm and later. It is even louder! Bring ear plugs - my wife did. The disco opens at 11pm and goes to 2am, but we didn't hear that as much. The resort plays music during the day, which again is too loud and takes away from the ambience of the place.

Overall, we would go back in a flash. Also, take a tour of the "clothing option" Punta Serena Resort adjoining this resort. Luxury at $80 per couple a night extra. They have their own beach (which can be accessed at low tide and low waves).

• Liked — Great ocean view
  • Disliked — The noise
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
10 Thank duncan16
B.C
Reviewed December 18, 2007

I was there for one week with my daughter and two little ones and we had a wonderful time. Yes, this hotel is isolated but you can take a taxi into town. Please don't forget to give a tip....
Excellent value, and as this is a Mexican resort there are mostly Mexicans there on holiday, a plus for us because they warm and friendly even though my Spanish could be better.
You can get pancakes and fried eggs at the breakfast bar, also good omlettes. We enjoyed the food. The room was basic but clean, and a decent size. I took an electric kettle so we could make our own tea and coffee.
My daughter went to the Disco on her own as was welcomed by a group of Mexican girls and danced until it closed.
It's nice and safe.
We will be going back next year.
Take a large plasic container for your drinks and ask for ice at the bar because there's no ice machines.
There's also a pop machine that also has juices that cost only 7 pesos.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — No fridge or ice machine
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank k_bacardi
vancouver
Reviewed December 8, 2007

We're going back to the Blue Bay! We've been 4 times in the past 7 years, but not since 2003. We'll be there on the beach next week.

Every trip has been an experience. We always have a great time. The food is local, varied and fresh. I'm amazed at the variety. Free run eggs however you like at breakfast, as well as a plentiful buffet. Lunch and dinner features a buffet fit for a king, "comida estan delicioso" (the food is delicious)! An added bonus is the a la carte, first class dining restaurant atop a beautiful cliffside. The service is impecable. Breathtaking views.

And always, the staff is attentive and gracious.

Beautiful sun filled days and calm nights along the endless beach spanning over 2 kms. The bay is warm and inviting. We're the only resort there. We can leave our stuff on the beach and walk away.

I learned to "hablo espanol" specifically because of the staff. They encouraged me to learn Spanish and I in turn taught them more English. Our stays have become that much more enjoyable. You relate to your hosts, you experience more. It makes a world of difference. Experiencing Mexico through the people who live there.

That being said we come for the beach and seclusion, the rest is a bonus. Having it ALL to yourself is THE reason we come here, continue to and will again.

I recommend it to everyone who DOESN"T feel the need to shop and people watch, but simply wants to feel what a vacation should be.

Enjoy.

• Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank jamesstewart
Chicago, ILL
Reviewed June 4, 2007

We just came back from a a wonderfull trip to Blue Bay. We stay only 2 nights and we are for sure going back for a week long next yr. My Parents are actully going in June base on what we told them. The Service was super great and the staff was extra helpfull. I don;nt were the other people were saying that it was bad but for us we had a great service.Buffet was good and let me tell you that after a long day on pool or on the boat you get to eat great food from the buffet or pizza. If you are thinking about going to Blue Bay please do it well worth it. The Rooms are nice for the time that you spend on in them only for slepping and changing cloths( very little). But the show at night is one hell of show they really go out of there way to give you a good show and that it what you get, a great show. I actaully like the show on India arubia queen( she was really hot...LOL)

Blue Bay gets my 100% thumbs up and we are already planing next yrs travel. Thank you Blue Bay for letting relax and have a happy vaction.

• Liked — They went out of there way to make you happy.
  • Disliked — Nothing everthing was great.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank Orlandogarcia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tenacatita
Hotel & Temazcal Hacienda de Melaque
#2 of 11 in Barra de Navidad
Las Arenas
Las Arenas
#1 of 4 in Melaque

Been to Los Angeles Locos? Share your experiences!