“Best Beach on the Pacific”
Review of Los Angeles Locos

Los Angeles Locos
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Tenacatita
Reviewed December 8, 2007

We're going back to the Blue Bay! We've been 4 times in the past 7 years, but not since 2003. We'll be there on the beach next week.

Every trip has been an experience. We always have a great time. The food is local, varied and fresh. I'm amazed at the variety. Free run eggs however you like at breakfast, as well as a plentiful buffet. Lunch and dinner features a buffet fit for a king, "comida estan delicioso" (the food is delicious)! An added bonus is the a la carte, first class dining restaurant atop a beautiful cliffside. The service is impecable. Breathtaking views.

And always, the staff is attentive and gracious.

Beautiful sun filled days and calm nights along the endless beach spanning over 2 kms. The bay is warm and inviting. We're the only resort there. We can leave our stuff on the beach and walk away.

I learned to "hablo espanol" specifically because of the staff. They encouraged me to learn Spanish and I in turn taught them more English. Our stays have become that much more enjoyable. You relate to your hosts, you experience more. It makes a world of difference. Experiencing Mexico through the people who live there.

That being said we come for the beach and seclusion, the rest is a bonus. Having it ALL to yourself is THE reason we come here, continue to and will again.

I recommend it to everyone who DOESN"T feel the need to shop and people watch, but simply wants to feel what a vacation should be.

Enjoy.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank jamesstewart
There are newer reviews for Los Angeles Locos

Reviewed June 4, 2007

We just came back from a a wonderfull trip to Blue Bay. We stay only 2 nights and we are for sure going back for a week long next yr. My Parents are actully going in June base on what we told them. The Service was super great and the staff was extra helpfull. I don;nt were the other people were saying that it was bad but for us we had a great service.Buffet was good and let me tell you that after a long day on pool or on the boat you get to eat great food from the buffet or pizza. If you are thinking about going to Blue Bay please do it well worth it. The Rooms are nice for the time that you spend on in them only for slepping and changing cloths( very little). But the show at night is one hell of show they really go out of there way to give you a good show and that it what you get, a great show. I actaully like the show on India arubia queen( she was really hot...LOL)

Blue Bay gets my 100% thumbs up and we are already planing next yrs travel. Thank you Blue Bay for letting relax and have a happy vaction.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank Orlandogarcia
Reviewed May 9, 2007

This is my favourite all-inclusive resort! I've been here twice - once with my best friend and another time with my husband. The last time I went, I paid $1100 CAD plus tax for one week.

This resort is very secluded and private - No peddlars try to sell you junk! The staff are friendly and very helpful - they treat you like a king and queen. An intermediate size hotel right on the beach. A truely relaxing resort.

The rooms were clean and pretty standard like most other all inclusives (I've stayed at 6 all-inclusives...so far!) The food is pretty good - the standard fare and good quality. The drinks are poured very stiff. You must try the a la carte restaurant - to die for!! The food is amazing there!! Try teaming up with another room - each ticket voucher allows you to book 4 people - so if you team up with another room you can go twice - and it is worth the effort.

The beach is amazing - secluded and clean. The best part of the beach is the amazing waves - perfect for boogie boarding. I got my best friend and husband to try it and by day 2 they were pros and couldn't get enough of it. Great for families too because you can let your kids go to the beach and play without worrying about weirdo's hanging around.

If you are a serious shopper this may not be the place for you, as the next closest town is 30 mins away.

** Tip 1 - bring bug repellent - the bugs are crazy here but keep in mind that you are in the middle of the jungle!
** Tip 2 - the hotel is an hour and 15 minutes from the airport. Not the 30 minutes that they state in the brochure - so when you pack you'll want to bring sandwiches with you to eat on the bus ride to the hotel... Or else you will starve. But I do this for every trip now...I find that they tend to understate how far they are from the airport and towns.

Happy travels!

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TheCopperHouse
Reviewed May 3, 2007

First of all I just want to say I'm a Travel Agent and I've seen many other all-inclusive resorts so I know what to compare this to. THIS IS A THREE STAR RESORT!! I have no idea why so many people complain about this place...it's well worth the small amount of money you paid for your trip I'm sure. Figure out how much it would cost to even stay at your local Travel Lodge and eat out at a fast food joint for a week...then compare it to what this cost with your flight and international feel added to it...not so bad is it?

What are the negatives?.........
~Upgrades to the rooms (other than washrooms) need to be done//Front desk staff needs some English lessons//Food did not stay hot or even warm very long//Stay away from the uncooked bacon in the yummy omlettes!//2 people got injured (at different times) on the horseback riding trip while we were there. Although my friend and I didn't have a problem...be aware that they give no instruction.//Single people...not the best hotel option for you//If you like doing tours/shopping, this place is harder to get transportation from//BYOF (bring your own facecloths!)//Internet service-computer...from 1980!

What are the perks....?
~PRICE!//Good family resort for those on a budget//Mexican ambiance//Isolation - if that's what you like//Awesome Transat Rep!//Long...beautiful....secluded beach//Dolphins right out front//Overall the staff were excellent//A la Carte restaurant is amazing//Disco kept the 'young' (or young at heart) entertained till 2am//Snack bar has more Americanized foods//WEATHER!!//Views from the balconies//Spacious rooms

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with friends
10  Thank skTA
Reviewed April 11, 2007

Yup! You can get TV remotes at the front desk, the staff does a very nice dinner theatre show each evening about 9pm. The hotel offers a free horseback ride on the beach with a 7 day stay. We also took the free jungle tour (paid $10 per person extra) to be left at Tenacatita for a few hours and then get a boat ride back to the hotel later in the day. The water & ice are safe. The $45 City Tour is worthwhile since this is in a remote area and taxi's are a bit spendy. Now, I was there on my honeymoon (received nothing extra for that but wasn't expecting anything either) The hotel serves only Sol and Modelo beer (bummer since I like Corona) The one restaurant and 2 snack bars are open during the day so that between 11am-1pm and again between 5pm-7pm there is no place to eat. The "special restaurant" onsite is very nice, but only holds 40 people and fills up for booking at 9 am daily. Several people staying there were unable to get in to eat there at all during their stay.The food was good overall (no complaints there) We had to have the front desk get us a maid twice (she kept forgetting us) We upgraded to a JR suite (then changed rooms again the next day since the AC didn't work and the bathroom ceiling was dripping water on our heads when we brushed out teeth). The upgrade is an extra $22 per night. All the rooms are older (and have some mold so keep the AC on to avoid the smell) The tile needs to be replaced and the beds are moderately comfortable. The curtains are stained and most patio doors are broken. At the pool you will notice the local Mexican flag, the State Mexican flag and the Canadian flag (but we asked and they said they refused to put up the American Flag) A personal insult to my husband since he's military and respects our flag. Very few staff knew English so be sure your Spanish is up to speed. There is no elevator (and 4 floors) so at least you get your exercise. The beach was nice and the drinks weren't watered down (bring an insulated mug) Overall, the area was nice as was the weather. You will notice that 90% of the hotels occupants are from Mexico. Overall we got the feeling the Americans were snubbed. On our last night a local Mexican woman started chanting Americans Go Home to a group from IA because they were sitting in her way during an after hours Tequila Bar event. Most of the Mexicans would gladly jump in front of you in line at the restaurants etc as if the Americans were 2nd class citizens. I have traveled all over Mexico, but this was my first trip to this area. I liked the area, but didn't care for the hotel or the bad attitude. Take it or leave it - these are all just opinions but at least be aware of what you're walking into since you're paying for it. Afterwards, MLT told me they are considering dropping this hotel off the list of places to stay.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank TallTanBabe
Reviewed March 29, 2007

upon reading other peoples reviews i found there is alot of things people dont know.

1. if you go to front desk you will be able to get remotes for the t.v.s

2. blow dryers are also availible at front desk

3. bring bug spray. the bugs do bite and they leave scars.

knowing this at the start of my trip would of made it a heck of alot better

• Stayed: February 2007
2  Thank ilovetravelling<3
Reviewed March 18, 2007

We stayed 7 days at the blue bay club and I wish I was there still.
The price can not be beat! We were planning a trip to vegas but got a fantastic deal through transat and this was way cheaper!

The good:
The ocean and beautiful beach was just spectacular. 5 star beach and totally private. One morning I watched the dolphins play in the bay as the sun came up on the beach virtually alone! Such serentity!
So much to do at Blue Bay; there were lots of free water sports-some braved the waves and went out kayaking to get close to the dolphins (again free of charge). They had free horseback riding trips to the end of the beach. They have a river boat tour free from the hotel that takes you out in the mangroves with lots of neat things to see including a baby crocodile and beautiful birds. There are monkey's out there but you have to hit it lucky. Pelicans are everywhere. I went on the snorkeling excursion to Tenacatita bay, and that is well worth the $30. You can see beautiful colored fish right on the coral - but do be careful, the tide is strong and someone after us got injured by the red coral.
We took an excursion to Colima City which I would highly recommend to anyone with an interest in history/anthropology/archeology...downtown Colima is breathtaking for a city built in 1523. Check out the archaeological museum next to the governors house if you go during the free time, this is a rare chance to see very rare ancient artifacts - you can shop any other time!
Our room was centered somewhat behind the Teatro Theater stage, which was totally quiet after the show. Another family complained that the music from the disco kept them up - just so you are aware of the noise potential if you are situated closer to that far end.
The private deck from our room was beautiful with a lovely view of the pool and the beach. They have rose bushes lining the balcony, with lazy palm trees swaying overhead - just beautiful. The deck chairs are old...I ended up on my butt leaning too far back.
The food was plentiful. If you can not find anything to eat for a meal then you have serious issues. The fish is so amazing and so are the authentic Mexican dishes...some of the attempts at westernized food are not so great. I recommend passing on the Grey/brown mystery chicken nuggets.
I miss breakfast the most however. Between the huge array of fresh fruit, daily fresh squeezed juices and the omelets...ohhh how I miss the omelet bar lady Laura, plus! the coffee is the best I've ever had. Watch out for the bacon and chicken on the bone, it is very rare compared to western standards. Mexican families eat wieners (hot dog) like they are a delicacy so don't be surprised to find them in some form at every meal.
The a la carte restaurant is very nice romantic place to come. They book up super early so get in line at 8:30 or earlier if you want your pick of times. Try to get in at sunset for the best view of the harbor.
This is a family resort and many Mexican families stay here, but we found all the children extremely well behaved. Activities were planned all day around the resort from Spanish lessons to yoga to dance class. The kids club keeps activities going for the youngsters all day also if you want time alone.
Bar staff was great, and most of the time knew what to make you before you asked.
There was never a shortage of chairs by the pool, you could always find a vacant spot. The pool was clean and large, and the swim up bar had a nice long bench for relaxing.

The not so great that you should know....
The rooms are older but clean for their age. Rooms are musty smelling because surprise surprise ...you are in the jungle (I brought a tiny bottle of air fresh and it helped). Bathroom was recently renovated and are in a nice condition. Beds are hard, they have a cement base to them but I slept surprisingly well.
The room linens and towels are lacking...they are in short supply for the rooms; the hotel is obviously struggling in the physical resource department. Painting and cleaning was constantly going on but small repairs such as the light fixtures, wiring and minor repairs were evident - but again, I am comparing the repairs to a westernized standard..
For those of you who can't unplug...TV is all spanish, so don't even think about it. And forget about looking for the remote...none of those either. Internet is another thing; keyboard was in terrible state and half the time internet was not working at all. $5 US for 30 minutes and slooooow. Many people had laptops in the lobby playing online poker, so wireless must be available if you require.
Oh yes...the bugs. Around late sunset there is some type of mosquito or sand flee that comes out around the pool deck area and beach. Bring bug spray so you don't end up all bitten like me (I still have some bite marks).
It is a long trip from the airport to Blue bay but so much beauty and culture in the surrounding area....soak it all in while you can.
The evening shows are very good, the staff could not work harder than they do. Some of the crazy contortionist stuff you wonder how they do it! DO expect that most of the MC'ing is going to be in Spanish...you are after all in Mexico. For that matter - expect to be using Spanish when conversing with any of the staff; you may not be right but they will help you - and they will respect you more for trying.
I have to say right now that if you are picky and set on having a 'westernized' holiday....move on to the holiday inn my friend, but if you are wanting to sample a true Mexican resort in a spectacular setting, this is the place for you. If you can relax and enjoy your holiday for the beauty, culture and all the great things offered you will have a wonderful time at Blue Bay. I'll be back next year as promised!!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
7  Thank SunSeekerVictoriaBC

Been to Los Angeles Locos? Share your experiences!