“Horrible waiters/waitresses, disgusting enviorment”
Review of Made in Puerto Rico - CLOSED

Made in Puerto Rico
Cuisines: Latin
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Horrible waiters/waitresses, disgusting enviorment”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I've been staying in Isla Verde for a while now, and I hadn't had any real authentic Puerto Rican food like my family used to make for us. I was staying at the San Juan hotel with my children and wanted them to experience part of my childhood so, I decided to go to this place, because obviously the misleading name meant It would satisfy me.
First off, I go inside the restaurant and they don't even seat me. The girls were talking outside at the bar, one of them was looking rudely back at me and my husband as if they weren't planning to serve us. One of them looked like she was drunk, the other was practically singing and shouting, so I guessed maybe they were trying to make us feel at home. We waited about half an hour to be seated in an EMPTY restaurant. The place smelled like cheap rum, and there were two old guys flirting with the girls who seemed to be trying to get tips by being annoyingly clingy. We order some appetizers, which were cold, and the drinks still hadn't shown up to our table. A chubby little waiter was nice enough to bring it to us, while the girls just ignore the living hell out of us. We paid for the appetizers, and we got up and left. It was the worse enviorment ever, seemed dangerous even, not a place for family. The servers look ridiculous in their outfits which kind of foretells the service that you're getting, which is NOT taken seriously. Afterwards we were satisfied when we ate some mofongo at a place I dont recall by name, and got some dessert in the building next door. Highlight of our trip, icecream next to the beach and beers.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Martha J

Union, New Jersey
“Campy Fun!”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Ate here while visiting the area this past weekend. The place was loud, colorful, nice live music and the food was good. The mommy's stew and skirt steak marinated in papaya was very good. They show videos of the island and popular sitcoms/commercials from back in the day on projection tv's. Ask for Yancy, he was a great waiter who knows the menu well and can help recommend something if you have trouble deciding. Love the gals wearing the curlers, even saw a few of them place a roller or 2 in some kids hair :)

• Visited February 2013
“Friendly casual good food!”
Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

This place was a comfortable casual authentic place to eat .The servers dress just like my grandparents ! The food was good,and the live music played by Tony D
Made my heart sing ! I would go back again!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Camp and surprising”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Very good local style food and atmosphere and you can learn something while you are there!
Drinks were reasonable and service was outstanding!

Visited February 2013
“Puertorican blast from the past meal”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I am local who went to the restaurant to bring a friend of mine from Seattle. The idea was for him to feel what puertorican popculture (dating back from the early 20th century) was like while having the oportunity to eat very home known plates.
And i have to admit that despite the service not being the best, the food, ambience and decore made this meal a true experience. One that I recommened. Its creative cuisine in every sense

1 Thank RaissaPR