“5 stars for the view;1 star for the food”
Review of Brother Jimmy's BBQ - CLOSED

Brother Jimmy's BBQ
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Eden
“5 stars for the view;1 star for the food”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I have eaten here 2 or 3 times when visiting Puerto Rico. Frankly, BBQ does not fit into a Caribbean location. The place is all the things I really do not care for. LOUD music, a mechanical bull, several televisions featuring sports, and lousy food. The meats I had were tough and bland. The sides were "meh". The best thing about this place is that it is on the top floor of the El San Juan Hotel and Casino. The views are spectacular. The staff is so-so, but I am sure they are as captivated as I was by the sights of the sea and city.

Visited April 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Somerset, New Jersey
“Overpriced”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Our food was just ok, $8 for a coors light. Servers were just ok. You don't get as much as a view as you would think. I would not recommend.

Visited October 2013
Lake Mary, Florida
“A Big Disappointment”
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Located on the top floor of the El San Juan Hotel, Brother Jimmy's was disappointing at best. The BBQ was somewhat tasteless and dry. My husband had a half chicken dinner and I had BBQd chicken breast. The side dishes were not good at all and the chicken might have been better in a tv dinner. We were very disappointed and would not go back. The prices were reasonable and the atmosphere is somewhat like a sports bar with tvs everywhere. The restaurant is open air.

Visited April 2014
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Mixed Review”
Reviewed April 12, 2014

My husband and I have a very mixed review on this restaurant. We went one night and dined in; our waitress was amazing the ribs and nachos were AWESOME.... unfortunately we didn't ask how much beer was and 4 beers came out to $26...phew. We think that is a little steep for the local medalla, it wasn't even considered an artisan drink. Other than that we would have given this a perfect rating. The View was amazing and the cool breeze was great.
Our last night in town; we walked over to order the nachos to go while we were packing. We thought since it was such a huge portion earlier in the week we would get them again. The chips were completely different and the portion was 1/2 the size.... $16 nachos if they don't fit in one to go box... you would think they would divide them into two... When my husband got back to the condo (walking) we realized the order was wrong; his jalapeño "on the side" was mixed into the food; which I can't eat spicy food... He called them and they said they would correct it... so after walking all the way back over there; he didn't think to check the item because they were correcting a bad order; he gets back to the condo and they don't include ANY meat with the nachos. Upon calling again; he only wanted a refund on this purchase and that would take a third trip over to the restaurant to get his money back. The previous order these jalapeño had been left out; and it was amazing; not sure how that couldn't happen the next night but it wasn't very good service night two.

• Visited March 2014
Maple Grove, Minnesota
“Only Positive is the Location”
Reviewed April 4, 2014

This was by far the worst and most expensive meal on our vacation. (April 2). The location was perfect, but that was about it. If this is what New Yorkers get for bbq, I feel sorry for you. Come to the midwest or even California for a much better meal. "Brother Jimmy" in NYC? should be ashamed to put his name on this place. Here are the issues we had. I plan to contact management because I could not find anyone on site that night.
1) The women's bathroom was "out of order" and my children and I were routed out onto a rooftop to what appeared to be an outhouse! (the whole place reminded me of a Mexican party bar). We had to go down 10 floors to the casino to use a bathroom.
2) The onion stick appetizer was enough to serve 1.
3) the 10.00 kids' chicken tenders were stale and overcooked.
4) The rib sauce tasted like it was only made of vinegar.
5) We were charged 3.00 per drink refill! When we questioned where it was on the menu, waiter could not produce this info. Totally tourist scam at play here!
6) The ribs were fatty.
For 120.00 we felt ripped off and had to stop on way back to the Ritz at a bakery to feed our kids. We went in expecting a decent American chain and would have been better off at the Chili's across the street.

• Visited April 2014