“PR tastes good!”

Don Jose Restaurant
Cuisines: Caribbean, Latin
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Description: Treat yourself to the Taste of the Puerto Rican cuisine. The new world cuisine of the Caribbean, with its emphasis on only the freshest ingredients and seasonings, offers an exciting blend of taste sensations. Puerto Rican cuisine has been influenced by many culinary disciplines, including European, African, and Asian to name a few. Enjoy the taste of our original mashed plantain stuffed with shrimp or chicken or just our onion beef steak with rice and beams as a sample of our great variety of Puerto Rican dishes.
New York City, New York
“PR tastes good!”
Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

I had the grilled chicken breast, rice & beans and it was GOOD! Friend had the red snapper and and the fried pork chops and they enjoyed the food too! Service was good and quick! Small, quaint restaurant with the PR culture all throughout!

• Visited September 2013

Athens, Ohio
“Not a bad lunch”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

My husband and I had lunch here our first day in Puerto Rico. The service and food were both good. I would have eaten here again had we stayed longer.

• Visited August 2013
Brooklyn, NY
“Bad Experience”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I ate at Don Jose August 15th for dinner and August 16th for breakfast. For dinner, I ordered fried chicken which was given to me undercooked. Each piece I stuck my fork in had blood oozing out. I tried to locate my waiter, but he had so many tables that he never checked on mine until it was time for the check. I told the waiter about my bloody chicken. He showed it to the chef who apologized and told me I didn't have to pay for it.

• Visited August 2013
Olympia, Washington
“Yikes!”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Went to Don Jose's for some mofongo on Thursday, 7/18/13. The Medalla Lite beer was chilled. We ordered a steak dish and mofongo de pollo. The mofongo was good, but the steak looked like it was boiled then pan friend and tasted awful and it was for $17. What really floored us was the waitress --- she was counting money from the register behind the bar. When our food was to be served she picked up silverware and our food without bothering to wash her hands. Yikes! Talk about serving the germ-du-jour! Will never return to Don Jose's.

• Visited July 2013
Roanoke, Virginia
“Banging Cuban Sandwich”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

After leaving Club Brava at El San Juan Hotel, we stopped in this restaurant while walking back to our hotel Ritz-Carlton. The biggest plus is this place is open 24 hours. Downside is staff could care less if you were there or not. I ordered the cuban sandwich not really knowing what to expect. What I received was one of the most delicious sandwiches I have ever had in my life. (Not that much of an exaggeration.) My initial thought was, "How guilty is it that I'm eating roasted pork and ham on the same sandwich, surely this is blasphemous?" I wanted another one but I wouldn't have had anywhere to put it. I'd call in an order here again, definitely wouldn't dine in though. At only $6.37 it was a great deal.

• Visited June 2013