“Great PR cuisine and service”
Review of Don Jose Restaurant - CLOSED

Don Jose Restaurant
Cuisines: Caribbean, Latin
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Description: Treat yourself to the Taste of the Puerto Rican cuisine. The new world cuisine of the Caribbean, with its emphasis on only the freshest ingredients and seasonings, offers an exciting blend of taste sensations. Puerto Rican cuisine has been influenced by many culinary disciplines, including European, African, and Asian to name a few. Enjoy the taste of our original mashed plantain stuffed with shrimp or chicken or just our onion beef steak with rice and beams as a sample of our great variety of Puerto Rican dishes.
Powder Springs, Georgia
“Great PR cuisine and service”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Don Jose was a fabulous dining experience. Taking my parents out to celebrate Father's day, we could not have picked a better place. My Mom is an avid cook and picky when it comes to eating out. She ordered the "Platano soup" and was delighted with the taste, Dad's "Mofongo with Chicken" was loaded and superb, the Octopus salad was to die for and the Snapper was awesome! The plates were cleaned out. Edwin, the waiter, was very personable, attentive and made us feel more than welcome. Don Jose (the owner) stopped by and chatted with us for a while, making us feel part of the family. A great location, awesome local food at a good price, Don Jose is the place to go!

Hyattsville, Maryland
“Disappointing experience”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

The hotel I stayed at recommended Don Jose saying the customer service was really good.
When walking through the neighborhood one evening, I passed by Don Jose. Observed many
positive reviews from Trip Advisor posted on outside window of restaurant. Seemed
interesting they would make their "praises" so public. Thought I would give it a try and went in.
There were already a few tables with customers awaiting their food or to place orders. There was only one person (older man ) working the tables. He presented as bustling but overwhelmed. At the time I had entered there were about 2 more groups of persons who came at the same time. The gentleman began taking orders, answering questions and seating people. I knew it would be along time before we (my son and I) would be served. So we left that evening vowing to return the next day to have the Don Jose experience.
Went during the late afternoon the next day. Place seemed quieter and I knew we would get our food in a timely manner. Upon entering there was NO acknowledgement of our arrival. Although there was a woman and man behind the bar area. In fact the woman looked up and looked away as though we were invisible. I went up extended a greeting and asked whether we should seat ourselves. The gentleman (older but different from night before) came with menus also saying hello to us. We placed our order and waited for about 15mins for our food. Keep in mind the restaurant was empty plus 2 other persons. The food was hot and okay......rice n beans with baked chicken tasted better than the Mufongo which had a bit too much garlic flavor. The helping of mofungo was small but the fried pork consisted of an ample portion. When the bill came there was a mistake since the price written on their outside board and the price charged was different. I drew this to the attention of the Man, who appeared confused; and I had to take him outside to read what was written on their advertising board. The situation was resolved; but neither my son nor I were impressed with quality of service we received at Don Jose that day. Interestingly enough they appeared to discern based on how people look! Believe it or not! While we sat and ate people were greeted differently/better based on they looked! Also there was one really strange looking/acting person apparently taking a restless snooze between muttering to herself. She did not order anything and eventually left. All in all will not go back to Don Jose again. Try Mi Casita a few blocks down across from Intercontinental Hotel. The servers are younger and may not have much customer service experience, but the food is well presented in proper plates/glasses and not plastic cups.

Jacksonville, Florida
“Quiet respite with excellent food”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We had been traveling all over the island and just wanted something quick and easy after a long day. The entire avenue was lit up at 9:30pm, and hopping with what seemed to be teenagers all out after the last day of school. We picked this restaurant because it was smaller compared to Lupi's right down the street, but also quieter and relatively empty. Were we ever in for a surprise!! The wine was just right for the baked chicken special, and the seasoned red snapper in garlic sauce was superb. There were so many people in and out the whole time we were there, each getting take-out and talking to the only server (and bartender) like an old friend - we realized it must be a favorite with the locals. And the price was amazing. We each had a glass of wine and a meal that filled us up, but the entire bill was a little more than $12/person. The red beans and rice were especially good that night, and my meat and potatoes son just had to order an extra serving. It was a perfect meal in an otherwise hectic area. There is also parking right next door - three spots beside the building itself. We really recommend you stop in, but be sure to look at the many specials listed on the board outside before you go in. There are a lot of choices!!

1 Thank 360Quietflight
“So Good!”
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Are all my meals here! The octupus salad, chicken mofongo, breakfast flank steak with rice and means and tostones, chicken wings. I came to puerto rico for puertorican food. I noticed that the hotels served American, Japanese, Italian, but no puertorican!

• Visited May 2013
South Mountain, Canada
“Muy Excellente!”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Absolutely delicious, flavourful Puerto rican cuisine. Restaurant is small, but always busy, which in our travels signals to us 'eat here!' The service was wonderful, both English or Spanish. Cocktail drinks were delicious and the food was amazing! Good mix of American foods such as hambugers, but n array of local mofongos, seafood dishes and local drinks.

• Visited May 2013